Dj's United

Looking Forward To The Smoking Ban

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well being a smoker, my views just another case of the goverment and all the muppets dictating to us!

But thats the way this country is going,

And as britains stand we always just agree and do as were told, never make protest or anything.

Hey i wonder what may be next? no drinking more than 4?

Pay as you go mileage?

i suppose thats why myself and mrs eclipse are seriously planning on upping sticks and moving back to greece.

hey who knows

:djurant:

Well being a non smoker I think those muppets have got something right for once..

Hey there is an Idea have an island that smokers can move to where it is compulsary to smoke... But they have to fund there own Health service... tongue out icon

Nik

Load of rubbish!

Look back all those years back?

Did we have all this fuss in the 70's? 80's?

NO!

If someone told you what to do back then, people stud up for them selfs,

yes times have changed i agree, but if people want to smoke let them, if people want to drink let them,. if i want to shove a toothpicks in my eyes let me! its my life and no way should i be told what to do when to do it or anything, its called freedom of speech to air my views and also its about taking a stand, its your own life!

If the goverment turned round and said you had to pay £1.50 per mile mileage on all transport, would you pay it and say nothing? or stand up and complain? i think the latter becasue we all drive (only a percentage smoke)

Yes i agree smoking is bad for you, and a comment about people in hospital dying ask them? thats wrong, ive lost people in my life who have never smoked and still died, ive also lost people who did smoke but quit years back, there dead to, if we didnt do everything that was bad for us, hey whats the point in being here.

I enjoy smoking, and yes i no the possible effects of it, but hey , i could be shot down tommorrow, or hit by a bus, so why your here enjoy yourself and live life!

Now my rant is over, im going for a ciggy and a quick pint!

Anyone want to join me?

Load of rubbish!

Look back all those years back?

Did we have all this fuss in the 70's? 80's?

NO!

If someone told you what to do back then, people stud up for them selfs,

yes times have changed i agree, but if people want to smoke let them, if people want to drink let them,. if i

Yes i agree smoking is bad for you, and a comment about people in hospital dying ask them? thats wrong, ?

What don't you understand?

Some of these folk are ill because of others are inflicking their smoke upon them. Only the true damage has been assessed in recent years, hence the ignorance which existed in the 70's and 80's. Youa appear to be happy to let the status quo exist. I for one am fed up watching people smoke in a room of young children and babies and I glad that the change of law will do one thing at least -save lives.

People should have a choice

Their should be venues that advertises smoking alloud and venues that dont allow it (just like it is now)

So in a nut shell........if you dont like the smoke........go to a venue that wont allow it!

If your a smoker, then go to the smoke venues!

CHOICE!!

Who are they to say you cant do this and you cant do that!!

I think the government should licence maybe a proportion of venues equal to that of the proportion of smokers

ie Maybe in southport here, there should be ten percent smoking venues and 90 not, at least that would keep everybody happy

And I bet ya the smoking venues will be choooooookkkkkkaaaaaaa blocka! and take more money at the bar! haha

So when are they going to stop drinking in the pubs, or only allow 2 pints per person!!!

When was the last time a smoker put someone in hospital for "smoke driving" or knock someones head off for being under the influence of nicccooooteeeeen!

But the drinkers who do this......no problem, you just carry on and get rat arsed!

Load of crap......when they gunna ban all cars that are over 1.5cc? The cars give off more toxins than a fag!

:rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rolleyes:

PS I'm giving up soon, so may change my post then haha

Their should be venues that advertises smoking alloud and venues that dont allow it (just like it is now)

So in a nut shell........if you dont like the smoke........go to a venue that wont allow it!

CHOICE!!

I think the government should licence maybe a proportion of venues equal to that of the proportion of smokers

ie Maybe in southport here, there should be ten percent smoking venues and 90 not, at least that would keep everybody happy

And I bet ya the smoking venues will be choooooookkkkkkaaaaaaa blocka! and take more money at the bar! haha

So when are they going to stop drinking in the pubs, or only allow 2 pints per person!!!

When was the last time a smoker put someone in hospital for "smoke driving" or knock someones head off for being under the influence of nicccooooteeeeen!

But the drinkers who do this......no problem, you just carry on and get rat arsed!

Load of crap......when they gunna ban all cars that are over 1.5cc? The cars give off more toxins than a fag!

absolute rubbish.

people just don't care about others breathing in their smoke. It's not simply a matter of choice., why should 76% of the popilation put up with what the other 24% are doing?

How would you get people to work in a smoking pub?

Don't you think the goverment considered these options?

Do you know the effects of smoking and passive smoking? If you did you wouldn't be arguing.

It going to be a chnage of life for some granted, but that's it.

CHOICE!!

at last someone else sees sense,

well done jeff!

I wonder what users would say if they banned dj,s and loud music incase of the damage to ear drums etc, or you cant buy those big speakers or use them int he uk cos mr labour said so!

:rant: :damn: :djurant:

ITS OUR LIFE AND ITS A FREE COUNTRY (WELL FREE FOR THE GOVERMENT TO DICTATE TO US ALL )

And yes bring in the smoking ban but hey the still want the taxes dont they, and why is the goverment not in this bill?

They can smoke in the houses of parliment etc, 1 rule for us tax payers, and 1 rule for the mp's and everyone else!

hey thats fair aint it!

at last someone else sees sense,

well done jeff!

I wonder what users would say if they banned dj,s and loud music incase of the damage to ear drums etc, or you cant buy those big speakers or use them int he uk cos mr labour said so!

:rant: :damn: :djurant:

ITS OUR LIFE AND ITS A FREE COUNTRY (WELL FREE FOR THE GOVERMENT TO DICTATE TO US ALL )

And yes bring in the smoking ban but hey the still want the taxes dont they, and why is the goverment not in this bill?

They can smoke in the houses of parliment etc, 1 rule for us tax payers, and 1 rule for the mp's and everyone else!

hey thats fair aint it!

I do feel sorry for the changes which will happen to smokers, but the health benefits to everyone including you will outweigh this.

As DJ's we should enbrace these changes, and support the venues, not give a negative attitude to the public.

absolute rubbish.

people just don't care about others breathing in their smoke. It's not simply a matter of choice., why should 76% of the popilation put up with what the other 24% are doing?

How would you get people to work in a smoking pub?

Don't you think the goverment considered these options?

Do you know the effects of smoking and passive smoking? If you did you wouldn't be arguing.

It going to be a chnage of life for some granted, but that's it.

People have been working in pubs with it for years!

Its madness!

Yes i do no the effects of smoking and passive smoking, (and i aint arguing im just airing my views, freedom of speech again,

What about pollution from cars? airports? (perhaps we wont be aloud on holiday soon! just in case someone sneezes in cumbria or wherever?)

Again i repeat, theres more things to worry about, more things that could do this do that , harm you in this way or that way. How about tripe? who eats tripe now? all those years back people ate what the wanted, did what they wanted and worked hard for it! now, well lets just welcome in brussels, hey ho the eu and all the dictators!

Time for another ciggy

cough cough

sorry for the polution!

doesn't really matter. the law is coming in and we have to abide by it.

Yes and i will abide by it....

Its just that in my opinion the ban will hurt the pub trade (a lot of my work is in pubs)

I read in the paper that in Scotland they have had to lay off a third of bar staff because of loss of trade

Maybe its where i live or the gigs i take but most of my private partys i work i notice a lot of these people smoke and when the ban comes in they will be outside while i play the music to a empty hall :(

One of my DJ mates plays at a pub in the south where they have brought the ban in early and the pub is almost dead of customers as they have all gone down the road to the next pub.The boss of the pub has said that if trade does not pick up again then he will have to cancel the disco :(

Hey there is an Idea have an island that smokers can move to where it is compulsary to smoke... But they have to fund there own Health service...

But what about obese people??....this costs the Heath service more than smoking...are we going to ban fat people next?

:rant:

Now my rant is over, im going for a ciggy and a quick pint with the Eclipse Roadshow :dan:

http://thatsentertainment.webeden.co.uk

Dj's and Discos for all your needs

PLI & PAT covered

Est. 1988

People have been working in pubs with it for years!

Its madness!

Yes i do no the effects of smoking and passive smoking, (and i aint arguing im just airing my views, freedom of speech again,

What about pollution from cars? airports? (perhaps we wont be aloud on holiday soon! just in case someone sneezes in cumbria or wherever?)

Again i repeat, theres more things to worry about, more things that could do this do that , harm you in this way or that way. How about tripe? who eats tripe now? all those years back people ate what the wanted, did what they wanted and worked hard for it! now, well lets just welcome in brussels, hey ho the eu and all the dictators!

Time for another ciggy

cough cough

sorry for the polution!

I enjoy the (healthy) discussion.

Yes I tried trip when I was ten. I tasted like s==t.

Rob

I don't think the Government have actually thought-out all of this at all.

Whilst it can not be dismissed about the harm smoking does and the strain on the NHS, etc, etc, I feel that the Government could have introduced something along the lines of what has already been introduced elsewhere (and disliked) but for a slightly different reason and more towards a more positive solution than what has already been agreed and rubber stamped!

If Mr Brown had been just a little cunning instead of removing choice, he could have introduced a smoking licence to be applied for.

Those venues that have already gone to the trouble of installing air conditioning and extractors, whereby the venue has already made an effort to provide smoking and non-smoking environment facilities already could have been given an option.

How much such a licence would cost could be worked out easy enough. Other organisations pluck figures out of the air and impose licences..... where as in this suggestion, the Government could create a simple banding system based on X amount of smokers in a designated area / per square meter and generate revenue along side the potential revenue gained from the deterrent fines which would still be in place! :D

Say if a particular criteria had been laid down so that a venue that requires a smoking licence needs to meet X,Y,Z on the licence requirements then I'm sure that the investment already made in such venues would not have been put to absolute waste, with the Government or local authority benefiting from the licence fees.

It could be argued that driving a vehicle that emits a heavy pollution should be taken off the road because of the global / environmental damage it contributes. Instead, the Government have hit where it really hurts - the vehicle owners wallet, but allows the driver to still drive that vehicle which still pollutes - which seems to make it all right for the driver and them for pollution to continue?! :wall:

In this smoking licence 'suggestion', I'm not saying that all venues would meet the licence requirements for a smoking licence but those that could, simply should be allowed to continue business as normal with an annual smoking licence fee.

Many venues (even the ones where DJs can get work) would still find it hard, for sure, but at least it would have given the venue the opportunity to meet legislation instead of facing certain closure. ;thumbdown:

yes times have changed i agree, but if people want to smoke let them, if people want to drink let them,. if i want to shove a toothpicks in my eyes let me! its my life and no way should i be told what to do when to do it or anything, its called freedom of speech to air my views and also its about taking a stand, its your own life!

Yes, you should be allowed to do what you want, but only aslong as it doesn't effect other people.. thats the key thing! If i want to enjoy a night out and not breathe in your smoke and risk the horrible illnesses it can cause, then surely I should be allowed to?

Revolution Discos - Covering Midlands and the Cotswolds - 01386 898 113 - 07791 261 263

Firstly, how do you get people to work the smoking venues.......easy!! you can have the job, but please take into consideration, that people smoke in here....do you still want the job?

If not, fair enough, and best of luck finding one in the non smoking venues....again CHOICE!

76 percent of the people put up with the smokers??????

Then go to another bloody pub then!! one of the NON smoking ones!!

Comes back to my "it should be a matter of choice" arguement!

If your a smoker then go to the allocated smoking bars....if your a non smoker, go to the non smoking bars.

Where else does smoking effect 76 percent?? coz you cant smoke in many public buildings now, airports, many restraunts, swimming baths, health clubs......bars mostly have non smoking and smoking places inside them...... so why is 76 percent under threat of the smokers? Please explain?

Even as a smoker, if I was upsetting someone who was next to me coz I was smoking, then I would gladly put it out.....but the question is, why would they be standing next to me? I wouldnt be in any area that was "smoking banned" so that person must be happy to stand in a smoking environment...surely??

If they were breathing in my passive smoke, then move to a non smoking bit mate? simple!

Now as for DJ's working in smoking venues......thats been the case for years and years....you took the job on knowing that, just like barmaids did, and other pub staff! If you dont like the smoke....do a non smoking venue then? Or is the money to good to say no?? so how important is the smoking now?

I have no question that smoke is upsetting for some and passive smoking etc etc , and I would be mortified to think that someone was really upset with my smoke....however even as a smoker, I would never smoke in a "no choice setting" I would only smoke if the OPTION was there for smoke or no smoke.

"As DJ's we should be supporting venues and not giving negative attitude to the public"

Whats all that about??

All the venues i have spoke to are worried that the business will fall down coz smokers will not come!

My local friday spot is setting uop tables and chairs outside so he wont lose the business.

And again, why dont they have a smoking room and a non smoking room? Or area? like it is now at many places. keep everybody happy!

Oh I love a good topic like this :rant: :rolleyes:

Oh yeah forgot to say..drinkers cost the NHS lot more money than smokers do!!

When was the last time a fella battered his wife coz he had too much fags

Last time someone mowed down a child coz he had too much fags

Last time a late night fight outside the clubs and pubs on a weekend night coz the people involved had too much fags

Why is there half of the UK police force out on a friday/saturday night costing the tax payer millions a year....oh yeah coz of late night faggers!

How about the health service staff in hospitals who have to take on full time night security just so they can do their job....coz of the fags?

How about the millions of obese people who litrally eat themselves to death....costing how much

How about the heavey smokers who pixx all over peoples houses on the way home

the list goes on

But nobody has a choice about those people, so why have we got no choice either?

I'm waiting for the "four pint rule" it'll go like this, "sorry son you've had four pints, thats all i'm legally aloud to serve you, as the government thinks thats enough for anyone".

because nobody will smoke they'll be higher taxes on what to compensate? beer, petrol, burgers?

When was the last time a fella battered his wife coz he had too much fags

Last time someone mowed down a child coz he had too much fags

Last time a late night fight outside the clubs and pubs on a weekend night coz the people involved had too much fags

Why is there half of the UK police force out on a friday/saturday night costing the tax payer millions a year....oh yeah coz of late night faggers!

How about the health service staff in hospitals who have to take on full time night security just so they can do their job....coz of the fags?

How about the millions of obese people who litrally eat themselves to death....costing how much

How about the heavey smokers who pixx all over peoples houses on the way home

Your So right so lets ban those two...

At the end of the day neather side will agree with the other... As a non smoker who have had deaths in the family from smoking I hate the idea of people smoking... For there health as much as mine....

But you guys enjoy your fags and can come up with loads of reasons to...

Some people choose to beat and rape there wife should they not have free choice to do that? in your we should have the choice to do what ever we like analogie....

Free choice for all in the 70's was called anarchy... Would you phone the police if you were robbed or assulted... if yes why the crook choose to be a crook CHOICE again... We have to have a group of people who legislate for the masses.... Or we wil indded have anarchy in the UK...

You cant have it all ways...

Nik

Good lively debate here.

Jeff makes several points none of which I agree with, and from 1 July will not matter.

I think that smokers don't really understand the risks of smoking until it's too late. It's a bit like a 30 stone man having a heart attacki and wondering why. Although Jess might care that his smoke might be offensive to others (if they said something to him), most smokers don't give a damn.

Then there is the debate about some pubs closing because of loss of trade. The flip side to this is that some pub trades will increase. If a life was saved then the ban is worthwhile ( the estimate is 10's of thousands). Anyone who disputes the benefit needs their head testing because there is no argument for savings lives not burying your heads in the sand.

This has turned out a good debate,

So as im sat here at 6:40am with me cuppa and a ciggy,

Just out of interesti wonder how everyone else in the world is going on?

spain?greece? africa?

do you reckon that they are to being dictated to?

no , as they stand up for themselfs, its not all about the smoking, its about people just not having the same feeling and emotion for our country, once we were britain and proud of it, now hey welcome brussels!

what i cant understand is why mp's are exempt?

Easy.

Organ Grinders voted the Monkeys into power who control the peanuts and the music.

Thus, the Organ Grinders now dance to the fat Monkeys tune which makes no sense at all.

Next question please?

It's just the members bar in the houses of parliament that's exempt, and I think I read somewhere that it's to do with Royal Statute or something, ie: the place is under the control of the monarch, and they can't enforce their will on it. (A likely story :rolleyes: )

I've got a good idea. Let's bankrupt the government. If everybody in the UK stopped smoking tomorrow, the government would either go bankrupt, or your income tax and VAT would shoot through the roof.

Don't get me wrong, other people shouldn't have to put up with my cigarette smoke, but I still can't see why we can't have seperate smoking areas. My view is, the governement just wants to be seen to be "PC".

Quitting Smoking & Drinking doesn't make you live longer

It just feels like it.

Firstly please note I am a smoker. Secondly I am a committe member of a small social club which spent large amounts of cash on extraction equipment on the advice of the CIU, who initally thought that private members clubs would be exempt from the new legislation, but would have to demonstrate that they were taking measures to deal with smoke.

Let me tell you this is now not the case. The legislation is designed to protect employees, and as such, with a few exceptions (prisons etc.) all workplaces must be smoke free with effect from 1st July, 2007. This is why it is not possible to provide smoking rooms or segregated areas under the new legislation.

Hpoe this clarifies a few things

Cheers

Good lively debate here.

Jeff makes several points none of which I agree with, and from 1 July will not matter.

I think that smokers don't really understand the risks of smoking until it's too late. It's a bit like a 30 stone man having a heart attacki and wondering why. Although Jess might care that his smoke might be offensive to others (if they said something to him), most smokers don't give a damn.

Then there is the debate about some pubs closing because of loss of trade. The flip side to this is that some pub trades will increase. If a life was saved then the ban is worthwhile ( the estimate is 10's of thousands). Anyone who disputes the benefit needs their head testing because there is no argument for savings lives not burying your heads in the sand.

I completely agree that smoking is bad for you and anybody who breathes the smoke in......Hence my comment before " I would put the fag out if it offended anybody" But being bad or good for you isnt the issue here........

The issue is somebody else dictating and forcing rules upon people, when their are other alternatives to keep people happy!

Like Non smoking and smoking area's or venues, therefore giving people choice!

Lets say for argumets sake In your town their was 50 smoking venues and 150 non smoking venues.......you would just choose the venue that suits you would you not?

If the smoke upsets you, then its fair that you may not want to go to a smoking venuue, thats your choice and thats completely fair enough in my view.

Most smokers are well aware of the non smoking areas like.......airports, all shops, supermarkets, public transport, librays, cinema, loads restraunts, office buildings, work places that have smoke detection or simply a smoke ban. Thats the way it is and we are used to that.......

Basically any public area nowadays is Non smoking, its just the Pubs and clubs that its alloud in really.......Out of those pubs and clubs...if they were to have a seperate room or area, like alot have anyway now, whats the problem? Everybody is happy! smokers can smoke and non smokers can not smoke or be affected by smoke?

I would be against any smoker who lights up in an area that is banned.....because that would be unfair and forcing "no choice" on people

So I do think the balance is right at the moment really, why do they have to change it to a complete ban at any venue, when most are banned anyway?

The comparrison of a man choosing to beat his wife up, so therefore "choice" anology is wrong...... were talking about things people choose to do to themselves not to other people. Beating up your wife choice is criminal and gives "no choice" to the poor wife.

Comes back to my choice argument....smokers are wrong if they dont give people the choice of breathing in the smoke, like smoking on a bus for example or in a shop

But smokers are doing nothing wrong, if they smoke in a smoking area, which people can choose to be in or not?

As for " if they said something to him"

yes I would put the fag out if asked, just because i'm a nice person...... but at the same time would say "this is a smoking area, so you can choose not to stand here if you like"

Why would they be offended if a smoker is smoking in a smoking area? Why would they be stood there in the first place? Coz I wouldnt be smoking myself if the area was "no smoking"?

Great topic, can see both sides, and fully understand that smoking is bad for you, and others and kids if they live in your house full of smoke....coz thats giving the kids "No choice" and often they cant say much to dad or mum, coz their the bosses! So agree with not forcing smoke on anybody without choice.

But in the right place, or smoking area, surely its up to them if they want to smoke or not, not the government?

Defo giving up soon! coz dont wanna die early! now thats a diffrent arguement!

I am not a smoker but i am not an anti smoking [Edit]

I have no problem with a seperate room that has extraction facilities BUT I think a lot of smokers just dont get how far there smoke travels !

a dedicated room in a pub means that non smokers can easily smell and taste the smoke even when good extraction is used .

The only time i really object to the smoke is when i am eating a meal and in resturants that have smoking and no smoking sections i can 99.9% of the time smell and taste the smoke in the no smoking areas from the other areas. Smokers are just not as sensitive to the smell of smoke as non smokers.

With normal packet fags being so expensive ,roll ups are far more popular in my chavy area,the smell from these is far more pungent and as i said on the whole i am ok with seperate rooms for smoking in principal i dont believe it was workable in practice hence the complete ban.

I think there will be quite a bit of violence and arguments when this ban comes in ,in my area with drunk smokers saying i will smoke where i want to and no ones stopping me. a lot in my local have said they would pay all the fines if they were caught so risk it anyway!

Rob Star Entertainments
Facebook page
landline 0161 265 3421
Mobile: 0777 99 777 26

I am really looking forward to the ban. It's quite simple - smoke is a KILLER - full stop. I had the misfortune in working in a venue recently where almost everyone was smoking, and what was worst was that they didn't seem to care for the welfare of all their kids who were breathing in the stuff. That is just plain wrong. If you smoke, that's up to you, but if you inflict this on children, that is plain ignorance.

BTW, later on that night, I had an asthma attack, and had to take my medication which I have not had to use in nearly 9 months before, so you can throw any argument you want at me, it still doesn't wash. It is wrong :angry: