Dj's United

Marquee Electrical Supply Questions.

Andyw,

It might be an idea to buy your own extension leads for this job, then keep the for use in similar future situations.

If it were me, I would make up two leads, each long enough to reach the house, and using 2.5mm cross section wire, or better if you can get it. Divide the load your disco presents fairly equally between the two leads, and all should be OK.

Don't trust anyone else's leads - I still bear the surgery scar resulting from touching someone else's dodgy leads - resulted in a shock which caused a "four part fracture to the neck of the humerus", as was written in my notes.

Boomin' lucky I wasn't killed. :(

You were very lucky.

Advice appears to be take along a good quality extension lead and surge protection, plus the usual RCD plug and socket tester and should be ok then.

Just receievd a couple of marquee bookings.

can anybody advise on whether there are any differences in surge protector leads ie is it worthwhile buying an expensive one and if so, how are these better in terms of increaed protection?

rob

Surge protection leads won't help you when running off a generator.

They are designed to absorb very short duration 'spikes' of perhaps double or more the normal voltage, but a generator which is playing up may output a continuous over-voltage, which your equipment may not like but the leads will do nothing to help protect you.

Not really sure what you can do about that, short of using an UPS as suggested. That or don't run from a generator, especially if it's one of those small ones intended for power tools. A big 3-pahse jobbie will most likely be of better quality, and therefore more stable.