Dj's United

For me I get the best of both worlds.

My current setup is a Numark CDN 88 decks with a Numark CM200USB Mixer. Then also have a laptop running PCDJ ReD and also I Tunes for the latest singles.

The mixer is so easy to use and does make the connections easier. I still like to use CD's though as I do get a bit bored of just using the laptop.

like davemoody I bought the Numark CM200USB Mixer and it's very good,

I have myself only just invested in a new laptop and are slowly going over to using a laptop rather than cd's.

But when I get all my music ripped to my laptop I will still take my cd's with as backup just encase until I have bought another laptop as a backup.

Pete

A good CD player can do all the functions a laptop can do....obviously a laptop can store more songs in a much, much smaller (physical space) and do more than a CD player too!

Should I stop using Vinyl? ;)

Oliver Head, OTronics Media Services Ltd, Covering Wiltshire, Somerset, Dorset and surrounding areas.

Professional Mobile & Radio DJ

PLI (£10m), PAT and DBS (Disclosure) checked

Tel: 07835 485535

Email: enquiries@otronics.co.uk

www.otronics.co.uk

Cost of the Digital DJ Licence...

A license fee of some description applies and is required whether you use laptops or one of the new breed of hard drive based hardware units. Currently there is now real way of licensing either of these at a private function because no licence yet exists which covers it.

Some CD's can, as on another thread, perish and damage through age

Vinyl can scratch and warp.

So there is no 100% reliable way, just the one from the list which is best for YOU tongue out icon

"The voice of the devil is heard in our land"

'War doesn't determine who is right, war determines who is left, and you wont win this war.'

• 4 months later...

Would like some honest advice on wether to convert to laptop or stay with the crusty old CD method.

I looked at my CD'S last night and some of them are looking a bit scatched and worn....they have served me well!!I have a weeks leave coming up and thought I might spend that time switching over like many of you have done.However you could get what I know about computers in Kylies belly button and still have enough room for a sesame seed.Assistance required please.

Popped onto the PC bit on the forum.Though most of you wax lyrical about PC djing I can see it doesn't come without its problems...Am I better of staying as I am.

Given that I have 7500 tracks could you give me an idea how much time,knowledge and cash i'm gonna need to convert?

How do you mix the tracks from a PC when you are playing them so there are no ugly silences??

The output on my laptop (headphone socket)...do I have to convert that in any way??

Identifying the tracks.Will I have to spend hours typing in the titles and artists?

If there any scratches and jumps on my CD's would they jump when i'm playing off of the laptop?

I realise that I could get a lot of the answers from PC World...but they are going to be sales led.

How many of you have converted and regretted it???

Thanks in anticipation of your advice.

Getting on for 50 now and can't see me doing it for much more than 5 or 6 years (maybe handy for Tea Dances tho...LOL).If it is a huge and expensive task I shan't bother.

What did you end up getting in the end, how has it been?

I'm just about to spend £350 on a new laptop, the hard drive managers look cool but I don't like the ipod style small screens and search, comments form uses over 45 with eye sight problems like me welcome!!

Good Rockin Daddy (Chris)

www.swingcats.co.uk

Music to dance to from 1930's to NOW! Shake your rude box.

Yeovil Somerset 0845 094 3757

My advice to Swingcats....go with it baby.

Still learning but man what a change.

Ended up with an extenal soundcard (creative sound..40 quid...pc world) and this macca problem called BPM (i'm sure others would recommend it).That programme does other everything except the hoovering and washing up.Two decks ....fades in and out.Able to search by artist/title/genre.

Best decision I ever made......That is apart fromthe starcloth I

Sorry I said BPM was a macca problem and I meant to say programme.

And I wanted to say that converting was the best thing I ever did....Apart from buying a magnificent star cloth off of ebay this week.

You will probably also need to invest in a ground loop isolator which stops the audio signal being transferred around the earth loop created from the laptop to the amplifiers. £10-£20

Where in the grand scheme of wiring does this bit of kit go?

Good Rockin Daddy (Chris)

www.swingcats.co.uk

Music to dance to from 1930's to NOW! Shake your rude box.

Yeovil Somerset 0845 094 3757

Where in the grand scheme of wiring does this bit of kit go?

It goes between the output of the soundcard and the input to the mixer, ie the rca's that you would normally plug into the mixer plug into the isolator and then the rca's from the isolator plug into the mixer.

I don.t use an isolator as I dont have any hum problems.

Jim

I'm with Jim.

Don't think you need one.

Take it in stages mate.Very nervous when I first started a couple of months ago.Couldn't use it on Saturday (mislaid a usb cable) and was sweating without it.

You will never have a track that jumps when you have a full dance floor again....can you imagine that??(The five hundred quid a night boys will say thats never happened to them anyway).

I don.t use an isolator as I dont have any hum problems.

Neither did I until I used my new laptop for the 1st time last weekend. Wasn't a mains hum (50hz) seemed higher than that so maybe a harmonic :shrug:

Anyway off later today to buy one.

Neither did I until I used my new laptop for the 1st time last weekend. Wasn't a mains hum (50hz) seemed higher than that so maybe a harmonic :shrug:

Had the same problem at first but cured it with gold-plated connectors. I also use a Numark DJI0.

You want me to play what?

Secretary of NADJ, Member of SEDA

Magic Moments.. making your moment magic

Snap... I got a new laptop. On my own rig no hum. I did a walk in job (laptop and mixer only) and boy what a hum!

Luckily I went in the morning, so I went for a ground loop isolatar and bingo, the hum gone.

Edited by Steve_Mitchell

Steve

5 European cups and 18 leagues, that`s what we call history.

You will never have a track that jumps when you have a full dance floor again....can you imagine that??(The five hundred quid a night boys will say thats never happened to them anyway).

That's not necessarily true....

I did a function using my Denon, where the track skipped - When I ripped it it must've not copied perfectly (and stupid Audiograbber has no way of telling you - part from the X at the end or start and there wasn't one)...

So looked a REAL plum there - Although it ensured I always check my first dances before the night (although the skipping track wasn't the first dance (was Billy Joel Uptown Girl!) but was during my first gig in Ireland... !)

A couple of related questions from me.

When ripping your CDs if you cannot connect to the web how does it get the CD info?

Will the Denon HD2500 work with any Denon deck tray? How does it connect, does it have phono leads (for the mixer) and also the small round lead (for the deck tray)

When ripping your CDs if you cannot connect to the web how does it get the CD info?

This will depend on your ripping software.

Some software will let you do your ripping from CDs in an "off-line" (not connected to internet) mode, then...later, when you do connect/go on-line, the software will throw the entire batch of CD IDs at the internet for Artist/track ID'ing of all the tags.

Will the Denon HD2500 work with any Denon deck tray? How does it connect, does it have phono leads (for the mixer) and also the small round lead (for the deck tray)

The Denon DN-HD2500 will connect to 3 different CD-drawer units:

a) DN-D4000

b) DN-D4500

c) BU-4500

In each case, the audio output is taken directly from the phono/rca audio out sockets on the rear of the drawer units, and goes straight into your mixer.

There are several advantages of this method of audio path - The audio is not routed/taking up any USB bandwidth in, and it means that once a cd based track has been started by the DN-HD2500, the DJ can switch the 2500 over to searching/cueing/preparing the next track to be played from any other source eg: its internal hard drive, any external usb device etc, without interupting the audio coming from cd-decks as they're all separate channels of the mixer, of course.

I never connect my 'Playing Laptop' to the internet and have used 2 options:

• I have a database on CD Rom with most popular CDs listed on it (think it came from Steinberg)
  • I manually type in the details