Dj's United

The best DJ sofware in the world (In my opinion)

I'm right with you there Nige! So often if you get asked for something obscure you spend 2 minutes putting something else on whilst you look, 5-10 mins looking for it (really obscure) another 2 mins playing something suitable to bridge the gap to the required tune.............. that is in effect 14 minutes of your gig done with!

Now in my experience with laptops whatever the programme you choose I always say "If I've got it I'll play it"! and yes you can have it NOW! In the time most have been searching I have played 4 - 5 tunes which have been requested and kept even more punters happy............ at the end of the day audience satisfaction is everything!

Spin

As a relatively new user to OTS, I have to agree that being able to find a track within seconds gives me more chance to work on entertaining the audience and watching their reaction to the music.

I know the above sounds cliched' or a walking commercial http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/smile.gif but it's true - often I would fly into a panic to find that special track for the best friend of the brides friends mother. Spending ages looking for a track that I know I have somewhere but hadn't played for 2 years!. So between announcing tracks I would be frantically searching through seven crammed boxes of mainly compilations to find it!!.

With OTS it tacks seconds to find it - simply by typing in the artistes name or track name. How many times have you been approached by a member of the audience saying "What Smiths have you got Mate?" now for me these aren't a play at every gig band!. I know I have several of the more popular tracks from Morrisey et al - but I couldn't list of EVERY single one that was Out-there somewhere in the depths of the CD Cases. Now I simply type "Smiths" and its lists every track almost instantly!.

Even with OTS, I don't believe in playlisting and entire night - gigs are far to individual for that - but you can keep your "Most Requested" in a list ready for instant access!. I also have a list for background music, smoochies, and the more general most requested tracks at the club spot - all accessible at the click of a mouse.

I don't see that OTS kills the skill of a D.J - I see it as being a tool to allow me More time to concentrate on Being a D.J and less time as a record liberarian! http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/smile.gif

Chris, the next version of Ots will also include the BPM counter and a beat mix button so you can search for a BPM rate then too, also have you looked into the endless list of other things you can search by, anything played in the last 8 hours, anything played between 4 and 6 hours ago, the list is endless.For my money you can't beat Ots for what I require it for.

.....but what do I know ?

Your Big Event

Office:01803 813540

Direct: 0797 0717 448

e.mail:info@yourbigevent.co.uk

Chris, the next version of Ots will also include the BPM counter and a beat mix button so you can search for a BPM rate then too

A good facility for the mixing D.J's but overkill for my own requirements, besides i'm still paying of the purchase of the latest version as it is http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/rolleyes.gif let alone upgrading!.

Yes OTS is very expensive, but no more so than a medium priced CD Player (Or budget CD Player if you go for the $149 basic software which still has loads of features) which it is ultimately replacing. So far OTS has worked flawlessly for me http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/thumbup.gif although still early days

Chris - if your doing a particular 'dance-set', typing a bpm for a search query would bring up the tracks with the similar BPM.

Handy - too right! You'd love it!!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Now this is where I find being visually impaired a real bitch!!!

I'd love to convert to using a laptop and software, but I doubt the audience would appreciate the sound of my voice synthe thingy announcing every press of my keyboard

"And now live on stage, your DJ...Steven Hawking!!!!!" http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/smile.gif

I'm currently using the demo of OtsDJ, and although I find it pretty user-friendly, there are certain function I can't get around simply cause I can see the screen, a real bind!

I've not found any software yet that is 100% keyboard shortcuts and does everything in a Microsoft kind of way. for all their falts, at least Microsoft products are 100% accessible, but convincing other companies to adopt this attitude is proving tiresome.

Sorry gripe over with.

Incidentally, 99% of the time I know exactly where tracks are, obscure or not, it's my sad little tallent born out of necessity rather than desire.

Darren

Take a listen to Music Matters, the Big Mix Entertainment podcast, featuring music from the Podsafe Music Network.