Dj's United

Am doing a wedding on Saturday in a Marquee.. The power supply seems to be an issue. Am thinking 4 x 250w lights and 2k of sound. Am I correct in saying am using around 13amps here. Will I be ok from a normal 13 amp socket?

Has anyone got any Marquee pics I can look at to see how you set up? I`ve not done a marquee for about 10 yrs.

cheers.

Steve

5 European cups and 18 leagues, that`s what we call history.

It really depends what your amp(s) draw on full power ...although you probably wont drive them at full power.

I would be wary about using 2kw of amplification and 1kw of lighting off of one 13a socket. but you may just get away with it.

The oldest swinger in town....... probably. Happy Easter.. well I have seen easter eggs in the shops

Am doing a wedding on Saturday in a Marquee.. The power supply seems to be an issue. Am thinking 4 x 250w lights and 2k of sound. Am I correct in saying am using around 13amps here. Will I be ok from a normal 13 amp socket?

Has anyone got any Marquee pics I can look at to see how you set up? I`ve not done a marquee for about 10 yrs.

cheers.

I've got a couple of small marquee gigs coming up and I only intend using my Mackie 450's and 3 evl spins.

http://img517.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscf0124cp8.jpg

http://img517.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscf0104dk8.jpg

heres a couple of pictures from a marquee we done a couple of weeks ago steve,we had a extension lead running from the hose for the sound and ran the lights from the generator sockets.

cheers.

Loads, come round any time mate!

Loads, come round any time mate!

Unless I get 5 mins tomorrow morning Bri, I don`t think I`ll get time before Saturday.

heres a couple of pictures from a marquee we done a couple of weeks ago steve,we had a extension lead running from the hose for the sound and ran the lights from the generator sockets.

Hope you didn`t turn it on Andy.. :rolleyes:

Edited by Steve_Mitchell

Steve

• 1 month later...

OK it's late, but for other's benefit; you can assume that an amp will draw about a quarter of its rated power from the supply, so the sound power is not a problem. 4 x 250w lamps on continuously will draw about 1500 watts when you account for losses and motors etc.

The big prob with marquee power is that the supply volts is usually very variable. At the end of a 80m power cable I had the bass beat pulling the volts down to 195 which is way below spec! I don't want to know when the CD players would fault through low mains.

Having some (10-20%) of the load as steady load -like permanently on lamps- eases the mains fluctuation problem.

steve.....your 4 lights will take 1kilowatt (4.2 amps) motors wont take much and the losses will be small unless you use a long long lead.....

so account for say 6 amps on lights to be safe

Your sound....2 mackies and 2 bins.....Start each unit seperately, those 1501 bins take a good kick when first switched on.....draw around 3 amps each when running

450's not a problem......draw 1 amp each when running

so your total load may easily be 14/15 amps

cd players/laptop etc negligable....say 1 amp for the lot

dont forget smoke machine if your using one 700watt ish......3 amps

need to get 2 supplies to be on the safe side mate.......just 2 extention leads from 2 diffrent socket outlets

If in the event it all goes tXts up and you can not sort out 2 supplies.....drop a sub off the circuit (they're the biggest demand for a single piece of gear you have)

put your 450's on full range from the sub......so if you "get rid" of a sub in the event of power failure/not enough power.....450's will still work without changing the xlr leads around

If you use high pass....and drop the sub coz of power probs during the night, you will have to change the high pass connections to full range to get you going again

But hopefully you won need to do any of this if you get 2 supplies @ 13amps each

Edited by Jeffwall

steve.....your 4 lights will take 1kilowatt (4.2 amps) motors wont take much and the losses will be small unless you use a long long lead.....

so account for say 6 amps on lights to be safe

Your sound....2 mackies and 2 bins.....Start each unit seperately, those 1501 bins take a good kick when first switched on.....draw around 3 amps each when running

450's not a problem......draw 1 amp each when running

so your total load may easily be 14/15 amps

cd players/laptop etc negligable....say 1 amp for the lot

dont forget smoke machine if your using one 700watt ish......3 amps

need to get 2 supplies to be on the safe side mate.......just 2 extention leads from 2 diffrent socket outlets

If in the event it all goes tXts up and you can not sort out 2 supplies.....drop a sub off the circuit (they're the biggest demand for a single piece of gear you have)

put your 450's on full range from the sub......so if you "get rid" of a sub in the event of power failure/not enough power.....450's will still work without changing the xlr leads around

If you use high pass....and drop the sub coz of power probs during the night, you will have to change the high pass connections to full range to get you going again

But hopefully you won need to do any of this if you get 2 supplies @ 13amps each

Thanks Jeff for your help. The wedding was in May and was very good. I managed the supply issue but never the less thank you very much.

Steve

never check the postings dates haha

who brought this up from may ....PAUL!!!!haha