Dj's United

Mornin All!

Got a school disco in a few hours...a year 6 leavers do (moving on to High School).

Have done the school a few times before, but have stuck very safe music-wise. I've brainstormed some ideas, but after re-reading them, wonder if some are a bit risqué for kids? I want to treat them with some kind of flexibility, I mean - i know at their age I wouldn't want Bob The Builder all night! But where do you draw the line? I think i'm fairly safe with things like Don't Feel Like Dancing and the like, but they aren't likely to want the classic disco of yesteryear!

Any muscal ideas greatly appreciated!

Mornin All!

Got a school disco in a few hours...a year 6 leavers do (moving on to High School).

Have done the school a few times before, but have stuck very safe music-wise. I've brainstormed some ideas, but after re-reading them, wonder if some are a bit risqué for kids? I want to treat them with some kind of flexibility, I mean - i know at their age I wouldn't want Bob The Builder all night! But where do you draw the line? I think i'm fairly safe with things like Don't Feel Like Dancing and the like, but they aren't likely to want the classic disco of yesteryear!

Any muscal ideas greatly appreciated!

Easier than you think.

Use Now 60 onwards and sprinkle with old classics like Don't stop me now, Macarana, cha cha slide, saturday night. 12/13 year old know quite a bit of party style music. Their memory of chart material is limited to about 3/4 years hence my suggestion.

have good one

Reminds me of a scarey moment I had for that kinda age group a few weeks ago.....

They asked for a couple of slowies at the end and wanted:

Your Beautiful - James Blunt.....

Put it on....then bout halfway through I remembered.....the F word in the tune....couldnt remember which version I had loaded in.....but had to run with it at this point, to late to change it.....

Was so releived to hear him sing "FLYING high"!!!!!

The two versions I have are now marked so as not to mix them up.

Moral of the story.....USE radio edits if at all possible LOL

And that age group do love their cheesy party dances - Cha cha slide, macarena, Saturday Night etc

I think like Norfolf DJ says.......NOW 60 and beyond, safe with those and they are all radio edits too

Edited by NRG Roadshow

It always surprises me when I do end of school discos that they still want the cheesy party music but they do.

I tend to start these sort of discos with the current chart hits and getting very little reaction. Then one of the kids comes up and asks for ABBA or Queen I start playing the cheesy old stuff and the party takes off.

Always surprises me but the cheese always seems to work.

Cheese, cheese and more cheese as already mentioned and current chart hits ie.

Rihanna - Umbrella

Bob Sinclar - Sound Of Freedom

Avril Lavigne - Girlfriend (Raio Edit)

Booty Luv - Shine

Take That - Shine

Gwen Stefani - Sweet Escape

etc etc etc

They don't call me Krazy for nothing! Krazy by name - Krazy by nature !!!

Age doesn't matter, unless you're a cabinet!

K K Disco

Also, make sure you use the mic alot to encourage requests - this age group will usually keep them coming in!!

Revolution Discos - Covering Midlands and the Cotswolds - 01386 898 113 - 07791 261 263

Infact, expanding on Danno13's suggestion, take a pen and paper with you and let them write their own requests for you.

Just announce where the paper/pen is and they will do the rest.....

But at my year 6 leavers do on Friday, Cha Cha Slide, Amarillo, Hey Baby, Rihanna, High School Musical, I'm Too Sexy (requested and everyone danced) all made an appearance...

Cheers guys!

Read some of the replies before the gig, and to be honest it was fine! Like you all said....cheese is good! Biggest problem was the setting up! It was out of school hours so the caretaker was a bitt peeved to have to open the school on his day off - to this end he gave us half an hour to move everything in and get it all up and ready or the night! But hey!

We were thinking during the night, how strange it is that at a yr6 leavers do we are playing stuff like above....yet the second they start year 7 (a matter of weeks!) the music 'policy' totally changes and a wider variety of music is at your disposal! Agree?