Dj's United

OK, having just done my second gig in five years, it looks as though the bug has truly bitten once more, and I'm going back into this :)

My question (one among millions) is, do you use a roadie? and if so what do you pay him/her? I always flew solo before, or worked with a mate who also DJ'ed, but as I've now hit forty, and have a fairly physical dayjob the thought of basebins and stairs seems a bit more daunting than it once did. My nephew is very keen, and at 15 has a bedroom full of Maplins type disco lights and a cd mixer etc, so would be an obviouse choice, but am interested to know a rough idea of the going rate. Hopefully he will take to it, and become a DJ in his own right in time.

Neil B

hi neil,here's one we done earlier might be worth a read

http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=12322&hl=

imo opinion take your nephew out and see how he gets on,give him some pocket money for doing it.you never know a few years from now he might be paying you to carry his cd's

Edited by andyw

OK, having just done my second gig in five years, it looks as though the bug has truly bitten once more, and I'm going back into this :)

My question (one among millions) is, do you use a roadie? and if so what do you pay him/her? I always flew solo before, or worked with a mate who also DJ'ed, but as I've now hit forty, and have a fairly physical dayjob the thought of basebins and stairs seems a bit more daunting than it once did. My nephew is very keen, and at 15 has a bedroom full of Maplins type disco lights and a cd mixer etc, so would be an obviouse choice, but am interested to know a rough idea of the going rate. Hopefully he will take to it, and become a DJ in his own right in time.

When I use a roadie, I give them about 1/5 of my fee if they are experienced. Could be anywhere between £0 and £160, although usually around the £60 - £70 mark.

My Roadie is my girlfreind, she comes along and helps me for free......and she is pretty well trained at setting the gear up now too :)

Why on earth would I wanna "pay" a roadie?

My Mum said to me a few weeks ago, hey why don't you give your cousin a little job helping you out with your discos to give Karen a break......I was like "ummm no, coz then I would have to pay him" LOL

If I was working full time as well as DJing then it would be different but at the moment, DJing is nearly my complete income so I cant afford to pay anyone.

Depends if its Nick from NRG so i wont answer!

Also if your using an under 18 roadie they will only be able to help in non-pub venues??

Sometimes in the pursuit of perfection one can get blinded by size.

If you believe you can acheive.

Add life to your days not days to your life.

[/url][/img]

Another point that I don't think anyone has mention... technically don't you need Employee liability insurance if you're paying a roadie??

Revolution Discos - Covering Midlands and the Cotswolds - 01386 898 113 - 07791 261 263

I dont take anyone normally, however sometimes my brother does come and help me and he knows how everything plugs in. He knows how to work karaoke equipment as good as I do, so when doing joint disco / Karaokes he sticks to operating all karaoke equipment and I dj!

He wont ever take any money from me but I always offer. I wouldnt trust anyone else really with my equipment. At least if he drops something or breaks something I know where to find him lol

Lots of "friends" ask if they can come DJing with me and help for £50 a night. So I think not lol

Email :: info@nrgize-disco.co.uk

Sounds like nephews is the way to go looking at the replies :)

Also if your using an under 18 roadie they will only be able to help in non-pub venues??

Why no under 18's in pub venues? Most of the pubs around here have 14/15 year olds working in the kitchen/waitressing, I thought it was over 18's behind the bar only, or am I missing something?

Neil B

Cheers mate......

What happened to you when you was gonna pop over Kettering to one of my gigs them hmmm? :hurt:

Oh yea.....Im a lil over 18 too....so should I not be gettin paid Wayne tongue out icon

My roadie gets £100 per gig, however......................

he does hump all the heavy kit. Drives the van, and insures it. So I think that is fair. After all he is their just as many hours as I am.

The oldest swinger in town....... probably. Happy Easter.. well I have seen easter eggs in the shops

Sounds like nephews is the way to go looking at the replies :)

Why no under 18's in pub venues? Most of the pubs around here have 14/15 year olds working in the kitchen/waitressing, I thought it was over 18's behind the bar only, or am I missing something?

I seem to remember reading something when the new licensing laws came in a few years back also A couple of venues i work for have it written as part of the licensing terms from the local council that no one under the age of 18 is permitted on the premises post 21:30 on a Thurs, Fri and Sat - so taking in the times of food service but unfortunately not gig times.

This may only be applicable in my area or even to the two pubs in question, i'm no expert, perhaps someone on here is more keyed up with the situation, but it is something i'd definitely investigate.

QUOTE(Wayno @ Jul 21 2007, 08:17 PM)

Cheers mate......

What happened to you when you was gonna pop over Kettering to one of my gigs them hmmm?

Oh yea.....Im a lil over 18 too....so should I not be gettin paid Wayne

I was viewing the pictures from the previous night at the Sixth form ball in Lincoln tongue out icon

Edited by Wayno

Sometimes in the pursuit of perfection one can get blinded by size.

If you believe you can acheive.

Add life to your days not days to your life.

[/url][/img]

• 6 months later...

i used to do a little roadying and got payed £20 a gig and was happy with that. free drinks £20 and doing sumat tht i enjoyed what more could i want. ohh and its a great way 2 meet girls or guys or wahtever floads ur boat lol

:dan+ju: