Dj's United

Transferring Tracks From My Main Pc To Laptop (via External Hardrive)

Hi,

I would like to (if its possible) transfer all my music files (which are saved in my My Documents file plus on iTunes - Ive spent alot of time inputting lots of information pertaining to the tracks eg Genre etc) from my main PC Hard drive to my laptop (well, it'll be an external hard drive which Im gonna have to buy as my laptop, The Inspiron 4100, has no more memory spare).

Can I transfer my itunes library to my laptop without too much heartache?

Hope you can shed some positive light.

Ta

Won't you need to have itunes on your laptop for them to play due to the DRM?

Also aren't itunes machine specific DRM licences?

1) Yes and 2) Pass.

1) Id guess that I could download Itunes from the net onto my laptop - its after that that I'm stuck

Hopefully someone else could help?

It may depend on how you're playing out. Are you using DJ software such as otsdj, bpm, pcdj etc.. or just planning to use media player?

I think if you're using media player then having itunes on the laptop will resolve the drm issue, unless the files are machine specific of course, in which case..

I use otsdj myself and it won't play DRM protected files that I download from napster, so I have to download on the home PC, burn to disc, then rip into laptop to get them as mp3 (or rather otsfiles).

IF you plan on using the laptop for gigs then it's also best to have it dedicated to just music, the operating system and the DJ software. This will minimise problems.

I use otsdj myself and it won't play DRM protected files that I download from napster, so I have to download on the home PC &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

I can't believe you just said that...... Whatever you do (or don't), this really ISN'T something you should broadcast (or publish)! :aa

Edited by Gary

Cheers!

Roy B.

Digital Distortion Disco (D3 Entertainments)

See you around!

I don't see the problem. Its the same method I use. We've paid for the right to burn to a CD from Napster. And there doesn't currently exsist an appropriate license to rip that CD to a computer and the relevant bodies have also said that they won't prosecute people for doing this. (Not that they should have any right to anyway.. since this whole license is basically a tax on moving technology foward and any charges are completely un warranted.. but thats another thread...!!)

Edited by Danno13

Revolution Discos - Covering Midlands and the Cotswolds - 01386 898 113 - 07791 261 263

I can't believe you just said that...... Whatever you do (or don't), this really ISN'T something you should broadcast (or publish)! :aa

Agreed. If I owned a motorbike and shot past schools at 180mph, I wouldnt be inclined to post it up on a forum.

As for the comment of the BPI stating that they wont prosecute the average bod in the street for copying their own (paid for) music tracks from one format to another eg: CD collection to iPod - that piece of logic applied only to end users/listeners but not to anyone making money from the copied music.

Agreed. If I owned a motorbike and shot past schools at 180mph, I wouldnt be inclined to post it up on a forum.

Thats not really a fair comparison. The only reason copying from a CD (that you have paid for) to mp3 is illegal, is because of the greed of the record companies. There is no moral, ethical or common sense justification for the law... unlike the example you give, where clealy it is a danger to people's lives.

I can't find anything about it to link to.. but i'm pretty sure the last time the LWP (license working party) met with relevant bodies, they said that DJs would not be prosecuted, as there was currently no license avaliable to purchase, so there really isn't any way for us to become "legal".

Edited by Danno13

Revolution Discos - Covering Midlands and the Cotswolds - 01386 898 113 - 07791 261 263

Thats not really a fair comparison. The only reason copying from a CD (that you have paid for) to mp3 is illegal, is because of the greed of the record companies. There is no moral, ethical or common sense justification for the law... unlike the example you give, where clealy it is a danger to people's lives.

I can't find anything about it to link to.. but i'm pretty sure the last time the LWP (license working party) met with relevant bodies, they said that DJs would not be prosecuted, as there was currently no license avaliable to purchase, so there really isn't any way for us to become "legal".

I can see you point exactly - however, since both practices (the bike and the CD pirating) are against the current UK laws, (regardless of why we humble individuals think that those laws exist) this is not the place to mention how to go about breaking laws. I would consider a thread/post of how to bypass DRM in a very similar way I that would consider a thread about how to pick a Yale lock - regardless of why the poster thought the Yale lock was there and how wrong they thought it was.

But when you buy the track from napster, you pay to be allowed to burn it to a CD.

Once its on a CD, then talk of ripping it is no different to talk of ripping a shop bought CD.. and that certainley gets talked about enough.

That's the point I'm trying to make :)

But when you buy the track from napster, you pay to be allowed to burn it to a CD.

Once its on a CD, then talk of ripping it is no different to talk of ripping a shop bought CD.. and that certainley gets talked about enough.

That's the point I'm trying to make :)

I agree, and isn't DRM being scrapped anyway?

But it hasn't been yet!

And buying a track from Napster does NOT allow you to burn it to a CD...that's another module (and another price!)

Edited by digitaldistortion

Cheers!

Roy B.

Digital Distortion Disco (D3 Entertainments)

See you around!

Sort of.

A different type of Digital Rights Management is on the horizon (and already in use by 2 labels/companies), whereby there are no playback/burning limits, but the ID of the person and PC doing the burning is encoded into the track prior to download - it's likely that Windows Media player and other Windows endorsed players will also encode such details into tracks during local ripping/conversion processes.

This ID will then of course enable the sources of illegally shared music to be traced back to an individial PC and user - without affecting users, such as ourselves, who just want to do format exchange.

And buying a track from Napster does NOT allow you to burn it to a CD...that's another module (and another price!)

I'm talking about the 79p per track option, that I would have thought most DJs use.. unless their software supports DRM and they don't mind signing their life away to Napster so that all their downloaded tracks keep playing!

I'm talking about the 79p per track option, that I would have thought most DJs use.. unless their software supports DRM and they don't mind signing their life away to Napster so that all their downloaded tracks keep playing!

Exactly, I'd of thought that most of us would want to buy the track not just rent it.!