Dj's United

Interview With That Daz Smith

New member Daz Smith reveals all (including his favourite 80s band tongue out icon ) here ....

1. What is your DJU Forum Alias?

That Daz Smith

2. What is your Real Name, Age, Location & Marital Status?

Darren Smith, 29

3. What is the Name of your Disco?

That Daz Smith..... Yeah, rubbish I know. I'm gonna come up with something better eventually

4. How long have you been a DJ?

About 6 years

5. What inspired you to become a DJ?

As a young munchkin I was always fascinated by the DJ at discos and I always wanted to have a go. I know it sounds cheesier than a lifetime supply of Dairy Lea Triangles but I've always felt like I was born to do it

6. Are you a Full/Part Time DJ? If part time what else do you do?

I DJ part-time. During the day I work at Kitbag.com. I don't really do anything though. I'm a full time slacker. Ask my bosses if you don't believe me :o)

7. What is your favourite type of function now? (eg: Wedding, 18th Birthday party, etc)

18th/21st/30ths

8. What’s the worst/most embarrassing thing you've done in front of an audience?

I DJ'd at a bar called Temptation in Oldham at the Millenium NYE and did the countdown at 00:05..... I was a bit drunk. Luckily, everyone found it hilarious. Exept for me. I've also done the classic needle off the wrong record a few times. I'm dead good at that one

9. If you could go back to the beginning of your DJ career is there anything that you'd do differently? (eg: The gear that you bought, the way you promoted/advertised yourself)

Yes. I'd refrain from using my Auntie Beryl's purple fairy lights

10. What do you feel you offer the public that convinces them to book you rather than "the next guy/girl"?

Apart from the fact that I don't live next door to any DJs, I think people book me because they know I'm very clued up on most styles of music, can mix to a high standard and I don't waffle constantly on the mic

11. Have you ever bought something for your show that you wish you hadn't? and why?

Just Gareth Gates 'Spirit In The Sky' CD single. I've been pretty lucky with equipment so far

12. What's your next DJ purchase likely to be?

Denon HD2500. Or a dry ice machine. I want the Leona Lewis/Top Of The Pops effect! :o)

13. If you could get someone to invent a new piece of disco equipment for your show, what would it be?

Remote control decks and mixer so that I can DJ from the bar whilst simultaneously chatting to pretty girls whilst getting served before everybody else

14. What was the worst equipment failure suffered during a gig?

I've been really lucky as nothing like that has ever happened..... It probably will now though :o/

15. What do you think is the best thing about DJing?

Too many plusses to choose just one..... Being in control of a crowd, leaving a mark on peoples lives, the buzz you get when a whole dancefloor goes a bit mental, it's easier to pull bridesmaids etc etc the list is endless.....

16. What do you think is the worst thing about DJing?

Carting equipment up, packing it away etc. Especially in upstairs venues

17. What would make you stop DJing (if anything)?

If I died, I'd probably call it a day

18. How do you think DJing will change, in the next 5 years?

It'll all be digital and there won't be a CD in sight. I actually like getting stressed out trying to find a hidden gem on CD. I'll miss it

19. Most stupid thing anyone's ever said to you at a gig?

A stunning blonde once asked, "fancy a drink when you're finished?".....

20. Best advice you were ever given by a fellow DJ?

Ignore your Mum

21. And worst advice you were ever given?

Radio Shack mixers are quality!

22. How do you keep up to date with music? (eg Promo monthly CDs, Downloads, Purchase from retailer)

Downloads, Music Factory, DMC

23. Name 3 songs that 95% of the time will fill the dance floor for you!

Depends on the type of party but:

Whitney Houston - I Wanna Dance With Somebody

Tiffany - I think We're Alone Now

The Jam - A Town Called Malice

24. One piece of advice you'd give to someone just starting out.

Be open to different genres of music, research them and you'll get more bookings. When I first started, I wanted to play dance all the time as I wanted to show off my mixing but looking back, I was just being selfish without realising. I thought I looked really cool at the time but my mates Mum & Dad would beg to differ

25. What medium format do you mainly use eg vinyl, CD, hard-drive?

CD/Hard drive

26. Have you embraced/adapted any ideas that you've read about on DJU - if so what?

Not yet but i've only just joined. I will though, definately. There's a lot of clued-up guys on here

27. What is your best gig ever and your worst?

My worst was Millenium New Years Eve because it was dead and then I did the mis-timed countdown

My best was a 30th where the birthday boy wanted nothing but house classics and didn't want me to say much. It felt like Christmas to me. The dancefloor was rammed all night and the atmosphere was amazing

28. Apart from 'Word of Mouth' what is your main (most successful) form of advertising your disco?

None whatsoever. Just word of mouth

29. Are you a member of a DJ Association / Union?

Not yet

30. Add any additional comments which you would like to include here.....

Yeah, I'd just like to say how impressed I am with this site. I only joined out of curiosity and I honestly thought it would be rubbish but i've been proven wrong

31. How many gigs do you do a year, how many would you like to do?

80+

32. What is your average charge for a booking?

£160-£250

33. How many tracks do you have in your music collection?

Never counted them but there's thousands and thousands I tell thee

34. Have you ever had someone try to claim off you? (eg: Public Liability Insurance or other such legal action)

Not yet

35. What is your favourite music genre?

I'm torn between underground house and cheesy 80s (I love Five Star but that's just between me and you so ssshhh)

35. What is your favourite music genre?

I'm torn between underground house and cheesy 80s (I love Five Star but that's just between me and you so ssshhh

:D

Excellent read!

:Thumbup: