Dj's United

What Fuel Do You Use For Business Use?

What Fuel?  

40 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Diesel for me - there was a report on TV a few weeks ago where they analysed bio-diesel from various filling stations and found it contained all sorts of contaminents inc heating oil, filtered agricultural (red) diesel, cooking oil, parafin etc.

I voted for Diesel as thats what Im using at the moment.

Im looking at getting a new vehicle though.

Possibley a Chrysler Grand Voyager (only thing that puts me off is a very high cost of servicing and parts), now many of these have been converted to dual fuel, petrol and LPG, but I dont know a lot about LPG other than its much cheaper to buy a lire of LPG than a litre of Diesel, around half the price to be more precise.

Now what I want to know is this....

Is the fuel consumption the same for petrol as it is for LPG.

So if you get 300 miles to 40 litres of diesel, will you also get 300 miles to 40 litres of LPG?

If the figuires are not the same, aint it a little hard to compare the cost, one against the other?

Would a petrol vehicle being run mostly on LPG be more economical than the equivelant in a diesel engine?

The plan would be to run the vehicle 99% of the time on LPG and carry round half a tank of petrol just in case the LPG runs out and Im miles from a garage that sells LPG.

Also, is the performance in terms of accelaration/pulling power the same running on LPG as it is for Diesel?

Would be gratefull if anyone knows the anwer to this as I have yet to find anyone that knows LOL

is the performance in terms of accelaration/pulling power the same running on LPG as it is for Diesel?

Would be gratefull if anyone knows the anwer to this as I have yet to find anyone that knows LOL

I'm not sure about diesel, but the performance on LPG compared to petrol is poorer, there is definately a reduction in accelleration and pulling power.

As for what fuel I use........

JetA1 with a little drop of engine oil mixed in. It runs my diesel van (Merc Sprinter 315CDi) perfectly, and it's free if you know where to get it. I'm an aircraft engineer BTW, and most airlines dump dozens if not hundreds of gallons of the stuff every week.

:bouncy:

Leading the way in leaving the UK

Last man out turn off the lights !

So I need to find a supplier for some JetA1, whatever that is?

Might have to put in a quick call to my mate Richard :rolleyes:

Ok, so the performance is less than petrol, I can live with that (The Grand Voyager has a 3.3 V6 under the bonet, so it should still go like stink).

But does anyone know about the consumption/economy of an LPG vehicle?

Just done a quick search, it seems LPG is about 75% economy of petrol but half the price.

Don't forget that you need another tank for the LPG so you lose space too.

Jim

Right so you would use more LPG mile for mile than petrol, fair enough.

Yea I know you lose space...I THINK they put a modified petrol tank on the vehicle when its converted meaning you can only carry half as much petrol.

Cheers Jim

Just found this and its quite interesting.....

Based on 30000 per year which I do and petrol at 93.9, diesel at 95.9 LPG at 48.9

2.0 Petrol @ 32 MPG = £3999 per annum in fuel - 13.33 per mile

2.0 diesel @ 42 MPG = £3108 per annum in fuel - 10.36 per mile

2.0 LPG @ 28 MPG = £2376 per annum in fuel - 7.92p per mile

I also read somewhere that....

Having an LPG vehicle increases your insurance group by 1.

You cant take an LPG vehicle on the Channel Tunnel Trains.

Many People seem to think that LPG is only cheaper as the goverment aint taxed it heavily yet, but give them time then they will raise the tax on LPG, and it wont be as cheap.

You dont have to pay the congestion charge if you live in London.

And im wondering if you get your road tax any cheaper.......as LPG is suposed to be such a green fuel.

• 3 weeks later...

I THINK they put a modified petrol tank on the vehicle when its converted meaning you can only carry half as much petrol.

you need a completely different tank... can be in the spare wheel well...

it's pessurised, so needs to be gas tight.

you need a completely different tank... can be in the spare wheel well...

it's pessurised, so needs to be gas tight.

Ok so they put a competely different tank on it....

Does that mean you still get the same size petrol tank as you had before?

And what happens to your spare wheel if they nick the space for the LPG tank, I presume you wouldnt be able to have one :rolleyes:

Ok so they put a competely different tank on it....

Does that mean you still get the same size petrol tank as you had before?

And what happens to your spare wheel if they nick the space for the LPG tank, I presume you wouldnt be able to have one :rolleyes:

You usually leave the original where it is. There are tanks that go in the spare wheel space, but on 4x4s where the wheel is in the boot you need to have it in the luggage space.

Most people carry a can of tyre weld or simular. Slightly off topic but I had a 04 reg MX5 up until march, I once got a puncture on on, no problem - space saver wheel under the boot. Changed the wheel then had a massive problem, the alloy would not physically fit in the boot :dan+ju: I had to take the roof down and balance it on the parcel shelf, luckily it wasn't raining.

Jim

I had to take the roof down and balance it on the parcel shelf, luckily it wasn't raining.

Jim

Sorry Jim

Shouldnt laugh, but thats just conjoured up a rather amusing image in my mind, probably just me though LOL

To be honest I have gone off the idea of an LPG vehicle now anyway.

Im looking at Ford Galaxys, possibly a diesel but I think the 2.0 TDCi engine might be a little underpowed, Im gonna be more inclined to go for the 2.3 petrol version I think.