Dj's United

I thinking about buying a trailor but am wondering how other people find them. I'd imagine they could be a bit of a pain in the backside in some venues (parking ect), also are they secure, will my kit get damaged as trailers dont look the smoothest of rides. I'd love to get a van but can't aford a second vehilce and I need the car for my full time job and family comitments.

Would just like to know how many of you actually have them and if you have any problems with them. Am currently fitting it all in my car but am finding myself buying more and more equipment plus I have to take the missus and her photo keyring boxes. :drama:

Hey mate

Im currently using a trailer because my current rig outgrew the car, I have had no problems with using it, and it does have its advantages, like not having to load up before a gig, or unload after a gig......I just hitch up and Im on my way.

However Im thinking of getting rid of my trailer and going back to the car idea, and the way Im gonna get everything to fit is to buy a big people carier, so will have the seats for the family commitments and the load space for the discos as I can just take the seats out, then I have a van.

Have you not thought about just getting a bigger car?

What I really want is a Chrysler Grand Voyager but the cost is putting me off, so I will probably end up with a Ford Galaxy or a Renault Espace.

I use one.

Security is definitely an issue; I keep mine in a lock-up, which improves things considerably but if you can't do this, I'd suggest looking into some serious anti-thief gear, such as wheel clamps.

Reversing into some venues can be a pain, as can actually finding somewhere to park up, as the whole thing is quite a bit longer than an average car. Not impossible though.

Check inside your trailer for protruding nuts or bolts, as these will drill into your gear with the vibration of a trip out. Ensure you have decant packaging in these areas. I don't think the trip will be any bumpier than the car, especially if you have the trailer well loaded down, so don't worry too much about this.

Apart from this, a trailer is a good bet, as you have no tax or MOT to bother about. I'm hoping to move to a van some time if my takings allow this, but for the moment a trailer is the perfect bridging vehicle.

I thinking about buying a trailor but am wondering how other people find them. I'd imagine they could be a bit of a pain in the backside in some venues (parking ect), also are they secure, will my kit get damaged as trailers dont look the smoothest of rides. I'd love to get a van but can't aford a second vehilce and I need the car for my full time job and family comitments.

Forget trailers. Sell the car and buy a decent MPV. They have loads of space in them and are cheap to run.

:drama:

Edited by Norfolk DJ

I use a trailer myself, but will change to a van (with bulkhead) when business permits!

Don't forget that you may well get insurance problems with an MPV because there is no protection from your kit.......speakers weigh more than Tesco shopping bags.......when you perform an emergency stop!

:(

Cheers!

Roy B.

Digital Distortion Disco (D3 Entertainments)

See you around!

we have a trailer,and it was was easier leaving the heavier stuff in there,we put huge paddlocks on there ,however that didn't stop someone breaking into it outside our house in the early hours last year, luckily we had had done a gig the night before and had un loaded most of the kit there was only the speakers and the leads and and a few other things,but we got over that and got a lock up,then once we did a sixteenth which was quite posh ,they had bouncers waitresses etc and there was only one minor problem during the evening when some local boys tried to get in and were asked to leave,we thought it had been a good night,packed away went outside to find our trailer had been detached from our car (as it was barriered in car pack i thought id not put lock on)and the trailer had been wheeled across the cricket field and turned turned over,luckily not damaged though.we now have a vito people carrier which we use as our car aswell as carrying a disco kit to gigs ,only pain is having to unload everything every time we come home.

Thanks for the replies, Are Mpv's really big enough? they don;t seem to have a lot of boot space. I know I should be thinking about the business but I've never liked MPV's. At the moment the trailer does seem the better option as I'll have the trailor space and the back seats/boot. I'll weigh the costs up.

I have a new X-Trail, I know its a 4x4 and not a MPV and I doubt half my gear would fit in it. Even if it would I wouldn't want to wreck it filling it with gear every week.

I use a Renault Trafic, I could use a large trailer but I dont like the security issues with trailers.

Jim

I used to use a Honda Shuttle MPV. This had the advantage of the rearmost seats folding into the floor, not having to take them out on most other MPV's (exc Zafira). Speakers would then sit on the middle seats, leaving a huge boot area for all other kit. For some gigs it was big enough for all the kit and 4 people!

I miss the flexibility of my MPV! An estate car is good but not as good as an MPV!

Cheezy

Nightsounds

Thanks for the replies, Are Mpv's really big enough? they don;t seem to have a lot of boot space. I know I should be thinking about the business but I've never liked MPV's. At the moment the trailer does seem the better option as I'll have the trailor space and the back seats/boot. I'll weigh the costs up.

But you can take the rear seats out completly with an MPV, giving you maybe the same loadspace as a Tranist Connect? Their are some poeple who would argue that a large MPV has the same loadspace as a SWB transit (Im sure we have seen the forum discussions).

As for the insurance issues.......

Got a quote from Elephant.co.uk.......for a Chrysler Grand Voyager 3.3 Petrol engine on a 52 plate and worth about £8500......

It was £687 for Social Domestic and Pleasure.

It was £694 for full business use working as a mobile DJ had to explain exactly what I would be using the vehicle for and thats the price they quoted, I couldnt quite believe it was only that much difference for business use, so I got the guy to double check, and he asked his supervisor.......who confirmed it was the correct price for the quote.

Yes £694 is a lot of money, but they are really high insurance group vehicles, so I kinda expected that....in fact I expected it to be more like a grand or more, so £694 seems ok to me.

Edited by NRG Roadshow

For a cheap MPV try a citroen picasso. They have 2,100 litres of space inside. You have a flat load area as well. Your kit wont mess up the interior either as it is fully carpeted.

For a cheap MPV try a citroen picasso. They have 2,100 litres of space inside. You have a flat load area as well. Your kit wont mess up the interior either as it is fully carpeted.

LOL.....sorry....always makes me laugh when manufacturers quote load space in litres.....like your gonna fill it with a liquid or something........

I have looked at the Picasso, but it dont strike me as being that big, I must go and measure or find out the loadpspace of A Galaxy or the Grand Voyager.......the Grand Voyager is huge inside, would rival a SWB Tranny Easy I reckon.

LOL.....sorry....always makes me laugh when manufacturers quote load space in litres.....like your gonna fill it with a liquid or something........

I have looked at the Picasso, but it dont strike me as being that big, I must go and measure or find out the loadpspace of A Galaxy or the Grand Voyager.......the Grand Voyager is huge inside, would rival a SWB Tranny Easy I reckon.

Don't knock them. I looked at them in the past. Loads of space, after those seats come out.

Don't knock them. I looked at them in the past. Loads of space, after those seats come out.

I wasnt knocking them, just saying I dont think they look that big, only kinda Zaferia size.....which for a 7 searter IMO is tiny.

A better one from the Citroen range to go for would be the Synergie I think, Im gonna try and get a look at one of those if I can find somewhere local thats selling one.

Nick

I wasnt knocking them, just saying I dont think they look that big, only kinda Zaferia size.....which for a 7 searter IMO is tiny.

A better one from the Citroen range to go for would be the Synergie I think, Im gonna try and get a look at one of those if I can find somewhere local thats selling one.

Nick

I have used a Zafira and they are about 25% small inside than a Picasso. A big difference. I think the Picasso is cheaper is buy, particularly used.

It would have to be ok to drive too, I do on average about 400 business miles a week, couldn't be bothered doing that in a van but the idea of an MPV is growing on me. Might try an have a look at a couple over the weekend, do the seats have to come right out? not sure the missus would be too happy with 4-5 car seats sittin around the house.

It would have to be ok to drive too, I do on average about 400 business miles a week, couldn't be bothered doing that in a van but the idea of an MPV is growing on me. Might try an have a look at a couple over the weekend, do the seats have to come right out? not sure the missus would be too happy with 4-5 car seats sittin around the house.

Vauxhall Zafira uses a seven seat system, which either folds into the floor or folds up. Very clever and the Zafira has a low flat loading bay. I think it holds about 1800 litres of space, so it's good. The 1.6 is a liittle underpowered, so consider the 1.8 petrol or dielsel.

The Picasso is bigger inside and also has a flat loading bay. It takes longer items as well and holds about 2,100. The difference is noticable. You have to take the reat seats out of the picasso, but this is an easy job.

Both vehicles are cheap to run and have been around now for about 8 years, so secondhand ones can be pcked up for £3,000 upwards, maybe less than that.

Of the 2 i would buy the picasso, simply because you can get a lot of equpiment in it and the interior is well protected against any scuffing.

Right does anybody want to buy a 2001 mondeo Tdi???

I go on holiday on the 25th so as soon as am home I think the motors up for sale, I like the sound of the seats going into the floor on the zafira but I want to have pleanty of space for when I get a sub and more lights so the picasso sounds a better option just hope they do a tdi.

Right does anybody want to buy a 2001 mondeo Tdi???

I go on holiday on the 25th so as soon as am home I think the motors up for sale, I like the sound of the seats going into the floor on the zafira but I want to have pleanty of space for when I get a sub and more lights so the picasso sounds a better option just hope they do a tdi.

Yep they do 2 different diesel engines. The 1.6HDI is the newer one, but the 2.0 is fine.

The MPV Route is certainly looking better for me, I was thinking about getting a Van and converting it to have removable seats for the family, but why bother.....the MPV already has it, and will be much more luxurious to drive with all the toys, so why would I want a Van?

The Zaferia still looks small to me from the outside, as does the Picasso.

Im more looking at somehting the size of a Galaxy, Pug 806/807 or maybe the Grand Voyager, aint they much bigger inside than either a Zaferia or a Picasso, or do they just appear so from the outside.

The Zaferia or the Picasso to me.....just looks like a slightly higher estate car, and not big enough for my needs, but I could be wrong.