Dj's United

Id3 Tag Program For Osx

My HD2500 arrived yesterday and I need to tag all my MP3 files so the Denon can read all the relevant information. What program would be best and what format is best so that there are no problems with the Denon reading it.

Thanks.

Firstly check that the firmware version inside the Denon DN-HD2500 is the very latest. To check this, go into the PRESETS option on the 2500, and check the firmware version on the DenonDJ.com website. If you bought the 2500 from a recognised, well known UK Disco equipment retailer, who'll be getting through 2500's like hot cakes, it -should- be the latest firmware.

If you've not got an actual PC, nor a PC Emulator for your Mac (eg: Bootcamp etc) then all you'll be able to do is move unprotected music files (eg: not iTunes) to an external harddrive which you then plug into the side of the Denon DN-HD2500. Be SURE that the external drive is only formatted as FAT or FAT32, not NTFS.

If you've got OSX ver 10, then your Mac "should" be able to see the Dn-HD2500s internal drive as a new drive letter on the Mac Screen, which you then simply move/copy your music files onto.

I'd recommend that you search for a mac version of an "Mp3 file header repair" utility which you can use to check the headers of all your MP3 files too. PC/MAC applications which manipulate audio files (eg: removing silence from the beginning and end of tracks, adjusting all the track levels to the same amount etc) sometimes dont re-calculate/re-write the mp3 headers correctly and this can cause the tracks to do wierd things during playback. Correcting/repairing the mp3 headers will reduce this liklihood.

Thanks for the heads up mate. Is there a program that can do both header fixing and tag editing ?

Unfortunately, the only Mac program which I'm aware of, is the PC emulator; "Bootcamp". So, I', m not the best person to ask that question to.

I'm running XP under bootcamp so I suppose I could use that instead. Thinking about it the Denon software is PC only so I'll have to boot it up whenever I want to add music to the player anyway.

Is there a PC app that can do both headers and tags ?

Right, I found a program to repair MP3 headers from a site called Dr Tag. But, as it deletes the header it deletes the Tag info too. But I need the Tag info so the 2500 can read that info.

Is their any way of telling which MP3's have damaged headers coz in 7 years of computing I've never had one single file refuse to play.

The Denon DJ software can edit tags so would deleting all the tags/headers with my header repair tool then redoing all the tags with the Denon software prior to sending the files to the 2500 guarantee them all to work ?

My instant reaction would be to say, keep hunting for an alternative program to Dr Tag. There are dozens to choose from on the PC, which do not delete the existing tag info - or at least it remembers the tag info, deletes the entire header, then re-writes the tag info back into the clean header.

Bear in mind that depending on how much music manipulation you've done to the files since they were ripped from your very own CDs, you shouldn't have that many files that have corrupt headers anyway - OK, if you've ripped, re-equalised, normalized, topped'n'tailed, changed the musical key of the track, etc, etc... using a different software application theres a good chance that at least one of the applications has mis-calculated some header values and written a corrupt header.

Will Dr Tag tell you which files have bad headers, without it actually fixing them? If so, if might be that you can just manually re-tag a couple of dozen tracks, which isn't so bad.

This is the one many people have used for the HD2500.

http://www2.ashampoo.com/webcache/html/1/p...ct_2_0030__.htm

Yeah, but

Ashampoo MP3 AudioCenter runs under Windows® 95, 98, Me, NT, 2000 and XP
, not OS X whis is a Mac OS. :(

I really really still wish that Denon could have ported their app to run on OSX nativelyrather than through a poxy XP emulator thing!!!, might have sold a few more DN-HD2500's!!