Dj's United

Pioneer Djm400 - Opinions?

Okay, I've done a quick search of the forums and not found anything much about the DJM400, so thought I'd ask the question.

Here's the situation. Been using a Behringer VMX300 for a while now 'cos it had the features I wanted (basically two channels + mic, channel VUs were the two key things). Anyway, am thinking of getting a Pioneer DJM400 and I wondered if anyone had any thoughts. It's got the same things that I wanted originally plus some stuff that I probably won't use (like the FX), so it seems a pretty good replacement, but only really if it's "better" than the Behringer.

What does anyone think? Is it "tonally" better than the Behringer or will I not notice any difference and simply be down 300 quid? Comments along the line of "just learn to use the Behringer better" are as welcome as those which say "get the Pioneer". I might even read comments along the line of "buy a Denon mixer" - but will probably not pay much attention :-)

Thanks for any help.

Ian

Okay, I've done a quick search of the forums and not found anything much about the DJM400, so thought I'd ask the question.

This may not help at all but I'll share an experience! I'm sure there are other mixers from the Behringer stable that are great but in a friends opinion, the DJX700 was not great.

Have never used the club popular DJM400 but have used the Pioneer DJM500 and DJM600. Compared to the Behringer DJX700 mixer which I once purchased and lent out for function use, the quality of these mixers are apparently very different.

Usually, I try to keep an open mind and take the opportunity to actually test equipment whenever possible and like others would advise to try out first before you buy.

But in this instance, I purchased a boxed mixer over the counter for under £130 on the quick, no test.

The mixer looked as if it was modeled on the Pioneer DJM layout. It also fit the flightcase which had previously had a DJM500 and CDJ500sMkIIs.

Personally, I admit to having had a preference to Pioneer over the years and wouldn't get rid of my DVJ-X1s for anything else as mixing with these is a delight, and I love them!!! But if something else was 'better' and enhanced my style of DJing / complimented my performance then I would be a fool to not consider or at least try out!

Anyway, I lent out the DJX700 and Pioneer CD players ( 2 X Pioneer CDJ500MKIIs connected).

The CD players performed well and as expected but the report was that the mixer sound quality was terrible.

For the record, I'm not put off the Behringer company that makes this mixer.

Being fair, the look of the Behringer was not bad but the report of the performance was!

During use, it apparently 'moved' and felt 'light'. Indeed, it was lighter upon inspection whereas the Pioneer mixers do feel solid and sturdy.

Yes, the DJX700 is cheap enough, looks the part and does a function but the delivery and quality of the mixer was reported as "you get what you pay for"!

I would definitely endorse the above suggestion of seeing any new purchase "in the flesh" before purchasing.

I've never felt that Pioneer gear offers good "bang for your buck". Good reliability? sure...but too hefty a price tag for the number of features offered.

As I attend a lot of DJ shows (on the Denon stand) and talk to a lot of DJs and trade people, I get to hear a fair number of similar viewpoints.

One newish comment going round at the moment about Pioneer mixers is that at least one of their newer cut-down models (I suspect by cut-down, they mean de-featured versions eg: the 700 vs the 800, the 400 vs the 500??) only has a plastic casing, rather than a metal casing - apparently this is due to "it's target market" not being for on-the-road use. :wacko:

Unless you're flightcasing, or just looking for a bedroom mixer, this design aspect may be of importance to you.

I'm not sure i agree with Gary about Pioneer being light on features, purley because 'features' are a poor way to judge a mixer imho. Good sound, solid build, reliability and layout/ease of use are up there on my list, as well as being rider friendly for my hire market.

I've got a 7 year old DJM600 which had its first replacement x-fader this year and is a rental mixer for big dance events hosting international artists of the techno variety. It's a great product. The Berry 700 isn't i'm afraid.

I'm not a Behringer hater, i have a large amount of Berry gear in my live front of house rack and am very happy with it.

DIY plans and pro audio related technical discussions

www.speakerplans.com/forum

To be fair, comments and rumours can be taken with a pinch of salt, including my 'tale' of experience above!

It always comes down to the individuals choice at the end of the day regardless of what make, how much it costs or how popular in the field.

@Dukesy Thanks for your comments, it kinda reinforces what I was thinking.

@Gary I will definitely see it in the flesh before buying, but the plastic/metal case would probably not be an issue (unless it's really really nasty plastic) 'cos it will be going in a coffin case instead of the VMX300.

@norty303 I agree with you about features - I'm really after sound quality rather than features. The VMX300 is feature-rich (although I could start a whole new discussion about their half-***ed implementation - an effects send loop which uses the cue button as a control - the cut switches which cut the output but not the cue - sheesh), but my actual requirements are pretty basic!

Anyway - thanks everyone - I'm off for some hands on looking this week.

• 4 weeks later...

Thought I'd offer an update and some opinions.

In the end, I decided to get the DJM400 and I've now used it at a couple of gigs.

Overall, it's done the trick - the sound is "better" than the Behringer VMX300 I was using. If I was really technical, I could tell you what I mean by "better", but I'm not so I can't! The promoters I was working for also noticed the difference. The sound is just more "rounded" - you can pick things out of the music better than you could with the VMX300.

Some factual stuff. It's got two "music" channels, each with standard gain, hi, mid, lo and a fader. Both these channels can be switched between two different inputs (and input on each channel can be switched between line level and TT level). There's a crossfader for both channels and the crossfader shape can be switched between two settings.

There are also two mic inputs and two outputs (e.g. for main and monitor). The overall master volume controls both outputs. The mic inputs have independent gain controls. There is an output VU meter plus per channel VU meters.

Finally, it has a number of effects built in, which can be applied to either channel, the mic channel or the master. These are pretty standard (echo, flanger, phaser) plus a couple of strange ones (like the "robot"). There is also a sampler, which allows a few short samples to be taken and added to the output.

To be honest, I didn't use the FX much. I've already got some effects in my Denon 100s, but I did play with the DJM400 effects a couple of times, since they have a different feel to the Denon ones. I also sampled the promoter when he was on the mic at the start of the night and dropped it back into the tracks a couple of times during the night. Probably won't do it again - it got old really fast :-)

The build quality felt good. The crossfader, for example, was much more positive than the VMX300 (which has a very loose slider), which I liked the feel of. But I don't scratch, I just use it for mixing, so I can't offer any opinions on that.

Despite the control panel making it look like I'd lost out on the number of inputs compared with the VMX300, in actual fact I had not lost any and I'd actually gained an extra mic input.

Overall, I'm really pleased with my purchase. It achieved what I set out to do (improved the sound quality) and I got a few extras into the bargain (like an extra mic channel, which is very useful, and the sampler, which is less useful).

The only annoying thing about it was that there is an option to choose "mono" or "stereo" for the output. The "mono" option sends L output to the L channel and R output to the R channel, whereas stereo sends a mixed output to one channel. So, because I was using a stereo setup (i.e. L & R speakers) I had the switch to stereo, which was actually the wrong setting - had me confused for a while :shrug: