Dj's United

Uks Largest Laser Beamed From Blackpool Tower

Shame its only on for 10minutes a night though.

Am hoping to go to Blackpool again for a holiday next year so will get to see for myself!!

Cheers

Email :: info@nrgize-disco.co.uk

from our Local Paper The Gazette

BLACKPOOL'S brightest Illumination has been blasted by a world famous astronomer for ruining the view of the sky at night.

Sir Patrick Moore has slammed Blackpool Tower for installing of a green laser beam which shoots-out light at 10 minute intervals.

The beam, which it is claimed can be seen 30 miles away, is set to shine until the end of the Illuminations on November 4.

But the man who brought astronomy to the masses in his TV programme The Sky at Night, and a former chairman of the British Astronomical Association, said the light should be switched off.

He said: "Light pollution is a huge problem. I am not saying we should turn all the lights out, that is not practical, but there are some things which are very unnecessary.

"The Blackpool Tower light is certainly something I do not think we should be doing. I very much oppose it."

Academics from the University of Central Lancashire agree.

Dr Stewart Eyres from the Centre for Astrophysics said: "We don't notice the skies getting slowly lighter, but because the light on the Tower is so big, it stands out."

Member of The Musicians Union

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like hard work."