59 replies to this topic

#46 PWES

PWES

Occasional Contributor

• Regular Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 12:54 PM

I didn't spot it in the thread (apologies if I missed it), but a very useful tool to have when using dipswitches is a dip switch calculator

I will post a link here (it's not commercial) which I think you will find really handy. http://www.sabretech....co.uk/calc.asp

Freestyler has one built in

For iPhone users it gets even better - download 'Lampy'

Hope this makes life easier chaps !

The best DJ between Littlehaven Station and the Rusper Road in Horsham - Probably....
MY disco website CHEAP DJ PLI amongst several others ;-)

#47 vokf

vokf

DJU Veteran

• Account Disabled
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 03:03 PM

Decimal is for wimps... Real Men know Binary!!
thumbup.gif

Actually, one strong selling point on ADJ par cans is the rear 7 seg LED display and push buttons. Setting DMX channel/mode, or simply the static colour does not require a manual - just press "MODE" a few times.

#48 gadget

gadget

Master of Shaved Cheese

• Community Leader
  • 1,331 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 03:26 PM

QUOTE(vokf @ Aug 18 2010, 04:03 PM) View Post

Decimal is for wimps... Real Men know Binary!!
thumbup.gif
Actually, one strong selling point on ADJ par cans is the rear 7 seg LED display and push buttons. Setting DMX channel/mode, or simply the static colour does not require a manual - just press "MODE" a few times.

You just need the manual to understand the LED panel in its ownright though! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
DJ David Graham
Tel: 01204 537716 / 01942 418415
Email: hello@djgraham.co.uk
FB: http://facebook.com/djdavidgraham
Web: [under construction - it really is coming soon :)]

#49 vokf

vokf

DJU Veteran

• Account Disabled
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 03:41 PM

QUOTE(gadget @ Aug 18 2010, 04:26 PM) View Post

You just need the manual to understand the LED panel in its ownright though! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Na, only a few modes, and I mainly run static (CL0..CL7), or sound to light (with others being slaves with "SLA" set as mode).
Only need to read the manual to know which DMX mode to use for simple RGB.
I have a 6 slider DMX controller for the Pars, so set them Channel 1 and Channel 4 alternate, so controll all lights without messing with controller modes.

I remember learning Hex when I was about 12, and was programming assembler. Maths teacher thought she would make an example of me (as I was and still are pooh.gif at math).. and asked me to add a few numbers and give the answer in hex..
No problemo :-) She got her own back the week after with factoring :-(

I have an aversion to manuals, if its not easy to follow - I really struggle to understand the manual. One reason I'm grateful to Alex for helping me out with Joomla - info overload when I read various sites!

#50 PWES

PWES

Occasional Contributor

• Regular Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 03:54 PM

QUOTE(vokf @ Aug 18 2010, 04:41 PM) View Post

... learning Hex when I was about 12....programming assembler..... add a few numbers and give the answer in hex..
...She got her own back the week after with factoring :-(
I have an aversion.... ... Joomla - .

Anyone got the faintest idea what this guy is on about ?
eek.gif

biggrin.gif

The best DJ between Littlehaven Station and the Rusper Road in Horsham - Probably....

#51 vokf

vokf

DJU Veteran

• Account Disabled
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 08:57 PM

QUOTE(PWES @ Aug 18 2010, 04:54 PM) View Post

Anyone got the faintest idea what this guy is on about ?
eek.gif

biggrin.gif

Not you kid.gif

#52 gadget

gadget

Master of Shaved Cheese

• Community Leader
  • 1,331 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 09:07 PM

Its all just a bunch of 1's and 0's boff.gif

Cheers,

David
DJ David Graham

#53 PWES

PWES

Occasional Contributor

• Regular Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 05:37 AM

QUOTE(gadget @ Aug 18 2010, 04:26 PM) View Post

a manual ??? FFS man up David !!

You're a bloke, WHY would you need a manual, or directions, or know how to iron clothes ? Protest_emoticon.gif

#54 gadget

gadget

Master of Shaved Cheese

• Community Leader
  • 1,331 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 08:42 AM

QUOTE(PWES @ Aug 19 2010, 06:37 AM) View Post

a manual ??? FFS man up David !!

You're a bloke, WHY would you need a manual, or directions, or know how to iron clothes ? Protest_emoticon.gif

Hah, I never said I read the manual! boff.gif

Cheers,

David
DJ David Graham

#55 flash911

flash911

Experienced Contributor

• Community Leader
  • 344 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 02:19 PM

can you connect "ANY" dmx'd lights together even different makes ? blush.gif

#56 superstardeejay

superstardeejay

Engineer

• Community Leader
  • 2,364 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 04:23 PM

can you connect "ANY" dmx'd lights together even different makes ? blush.gif

Of course, that's what its for.

Getting different makes to sync together however will require a seperate dmx controller, so that the controller becomes the 'master' and the lights all become 'slaves'.

Doing it this way will mean you have to programme the controller yourself, you can't expect it to be completely plug-and-play.

See the DMX how-to for more info!

#57 flash911

flash911

Experienced Contributor

• Community Leader
  • 344 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 04:53 PM

QUOTE(superstardeejay @ Feb 27 2011, 04:22 PM) View Post

Of course, that's what its for.
Getting different makes to sync together however will require a seperate dmx controller, so that the controller becomes the 'master' and the lights all become 'slaves'.

Doing it this way will mean you have to programme the controller yourself, you can't expect it to be completely plug-and-play.

See the DMX how-to for more info!

thanks , might just leave them in stand alone lol

#58 Brentford Bob

Brentford Bob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:47 AM

QUOTE(flash911 @ Feb 27 2011, 04:53 PM) View Post

thanks , might just leave them in stand alone lol

That's what I'm going towards to!

Forgive my stupidity but I just dont get the whole dipswitch thing - I clearly have a feeble brain.

I recently bought four Showtec LED par56's and a Showtec Operator 1 controller, fully expecting to be able to "plug and play" but alas not.

Is there not a standard set of settings to use?

I contacted Showtec who basically said "read the manual" - which I've done, many times but I'm still none the wiser.

sad.gif

#59 McCardle

McCardle

DJU Veteran

• Community Leader
  • 2,110 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 05:47 PM

Just think of DMX lights as being a row of houses in a street. Each House, or light in this case has its own individual number, so that it keeps its own identity.

Then think of the DMX controller as being like the postman, and that he only delivers mail to the houses to which it is addressed. He does this by reading the number on the letter and then delivers it to the correct address. If the house has no mail, it gets no delivery as the postman will only direct mail to where he's told to do so.

In this case each light 'address' number, is configured by using a row of DIL / DIP switches. The number which the light is assigned is manually configured at the time of installation simply by the moving of one or more switches (which are numbered 1,2,4,8,16,32 etc)

Giving a light an Address of 1 or 2 or 4 is easy, simply move the switch numbered 1,2 or 4 and the light will be assigned that number. However the consecutive numbers in between require two or more switches to be selected.

Example

A light would be given the ID Address of '3' simply by moving both of the 1 & 2 switches to the 'on' position

Another light could be given the ID address of '6' by moving the '4' and '2' switches to the 'on' position

Another unit could be given the ID address of '20' by moving the '16' and '4' switches to the 'on' position

And so on. In other words the light id number is selected by adding together the numbers of the switches which are moved to the 'on' position.

Its generally good practice that the light id's are assigned consecutively, so if you had 4 lights, they would be numbered 1,2,3 & 4 - if you had 12 lights they would be assigned 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11 & 12 and so on, with each ID being individually addressed by moving the relevant combination of switches to create the ID number.

The lights can then be chained together, usually using 3 pin XLR plugs & sockets and connected to a controller. Even though the lights are all connected in a chain, each light is individually 'coded' to the corresponding channel on the DMX controller by way of its DIP switch assigned number, and so if you had assigned number '1' to a light, then only this light would respond when '1' is selected on the controller. Selecting '2' on the controller would mean that light number '2' would respond to the commands on the controller and so on.

Thus it is possible to have light 1 showing green, whilst light 2 shows purple, light three shows 'red' and so on, or of course you could select 1 to 4 on the controller and so all 4 lights would then synchronise together, following the same commands as entered into the controller.

"The voice of the devil is heard in our land"

'War doesn't determine who is right, war determines who is left, and you wont win this war.'

#60 Brentford Bob

Brentford Bob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:33 AM

Thank you Mr McCardle - I appreciate the time you've spent typing that lot out!

Think I'll stick to sound to light for now because I still don't get it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users