Dj's United

Do you download music?

i know this is going off the subject a bit but as i have just seen 5star say about PPl can anyone shed some light on PPl (or has it already been done??)

Am i rightin saying you dont need PPL if you only doing private functions as the venue should have PPL??? and you only need it if you doing gigs that your selling tickets for??

if im wrong (then ive been told wrong) where,how and how much is PPL??

cheers http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Hi Paul,

QUOTE (5star @ Nov 28 2003, 11:18 AM)
As many radio stations do re-record/dub onto mini disc or hard drive for their own convenience I would think that there is a licence to allow this, if I find any more info I'll let you know.

PaulS

The current situation with regards to radio stations and PPL is that each station has to pay PPL a fee to dub a recording onto say a computer database.

I don't want to give figures away, but each station pays 'xx' number of pence per copyrighted track that they hold on a computer.

I very much doubt PPL would be willing to give DJs a similar license whereby each business would be able to hold say 5,000 songs on a laptop/computer for playout and they pay a fee to PPL for this database. However, if PPL would introduce this it would mean that in effect you are paying the royalty fees to the artistes in question via PPL and not over the record store counter. BUT, knowing what PPL are like, I very much doubt they will do this as PPL still want radio stations to hold a legal copy of the song as well as paying a fee for the dubbing onto a computer. Alas, this would mean that even if DJs could get a dubbing licnese they would still have to hold a copy of the original CD/cassette/record/MD as PPL do not allow you to use Kazaa to download and then think that you can pay the royalties via their dubbing fee.

Overall, I do not think DJs will ever get one of these dubbing licenses as PPL do not have the people to manage this type of scheme.

May I add that I am in no way associated with PPL, however, I have had to take a keen interest in PPL matters through another issue I am involved with.

Hope this helps,

DJJ

Edited by DJJ

QUOTE (partychris @ Nov 28 2003, 01:51 PM)
i know this is going off the subject a bit but as i have just seen 5star say about PPl can anyone shed some light on PPl (or has it already been done??)
Am i rightin saying you dont need PPL if you only doing private functions as the venue should have PPL??? and you only need it if you doing gigs that your selling tickets for??
if im wrong (then ive been told wrong) where,how and how much is PPL??
cheers http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Hi partychris,

As far as I am aware, the venue, whether it be a scout hall, pub or club has to have a Public Performance License from PPL. In most cases, when an establishment applies for a license to sell alcohol they apply for the PPL license at the same time.

However, I do believe that it is possible for a DJ to apply to have their own PPL license which will allow them to ply their trade (play music) in a venue that does not currently have a Public Performance License.

I have never had to apply for a license because I will only work in establishments that have a PPL license.

However, it makes me wonder how many places that have the radio on (like in a garage) or in the workplace also have a PPL license - in the eyes of PPL they should have one!

I have heard that the government wants to introduce new rules regarding the performance of music (possibly live music) and I don't know if this would apply to DJs. However, I cannot be too sure about this. You'd probably need to speak to the Musicians Union or some other similar body as they will be more aware of this issue than me.

Hope this helps,

DJJ

When you buy a disc, you are purchasing the right to play it to yourself, you do not own the disc, a small amount of the money you pay goes to PRS, PPL, MCPS,

Radio stations have a licence to "copy" a peice of music to a computer. Music Factory, DMC, CD Pool and White label have the same licence to "multiple" copy for resale (costs a bit more).

I believe that we as DJ's can purchase this licence, I'm waiting on more info.

The licence I believe is called an SG6.

This is being looked into.

..playing all the hits for you...

....whether you may be....

Why can't I see what i going on???

Mikeee.. you is da man! We need you more on the form.. where you been lately... come back we miss you!

WE LOVE KAREN, AND IT'S GREAT TO HAVE HER BACK !!!! xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

However, it makes me wonder how many places that have the radio on (like in a garage) or in the workplace also have a PPL license - in the eyes of PPL they should have one!

They dont need one as the radio station have a liscence. You dont need to pay for the privelidge of playing music twice. The radio station have their liscence to allow them to play music to listeners. Whether those listeners are at home or at work makes no difference. It only matters if it is considered as a form of entertainment i.e. in a pub or club.

There are three liscences that are needed for it to be legal to play copyrighted music in public (be it in a bar/club/village hall etc).

PEL - Public entertainments liscence

PRS - Performing rights society liscence

PPL - Phonographic performance licence

If a venue does not have a liscence, you need all three of these in order for it to be legal (for a disco or karaoke).

Edited by johnnyb

If you play music, even via a radio, in a public place, you need a license! It should be the venue that has the license in question, but DJs can buy their own license.

My comment before, was off the cuff, as I know that not every business that has a radio or Hi-Fi with a few CDs playing in the background has a PPL license. PPL does not have the manpower to clamp down on this which is why it goes un-noticed.

From PPL website:

To play sound recordings in public you almost certainly need a PPL licence - which is usually issued to the occupier of the premises. However, if you are hiring a music system, jukebox or sound recordings, the supplier of the system or service should obtain the licence on your behalf.

In effect, even playing a radio in a garage waiting area, you need a license. It has nothing to do with the radio station having a license or not. The garage or other business in question should have a PPL license.

As for getting a PPL license for the DJ, check out: http://www.ppluk.com

There's a form to download and this site will answer many of the questiones raised here.

Hope this helps.

DJJ

• 3 weeks later...

You dont need to pay for the privelidge of playing music twice. The radio station have their liscence to allow them to play music to listeners. Whether those listeners are at home or at work makes no difference.

Have to disagree with you here Johnny............. it is a fact that in the Uk if you use music that the public can hear you need a licence ........ no matter what the radio station holds!

Hairdressers, dental surgeries, garages etc are visited on an all too regular basis to ensure the premises are licensed to perform music!

The Spindoctor

Hi spinnyb,

so if i was to join one of them pay per download sites am i in anyway breaking the law if i was to burn the songs of onto a disk and take them out on discos with me

Now this is a whole new can of worms you are opening http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

I think that there are members of this forum who have asked this same question and if I remember correctly it went something like this... The legit download sites said that they were not permitted to use the music they have download for the purposes of DJing - I think it had something to do with making money from the use of the music.

I'm sure the members in this forum (I think it was this forum!) who read the thread or who received a reply will be able to help in this matter. From what I gather though, the basic answer I heard was 'no.'

Hope this helps,

DJJ