Dj's United

There was a time in history (not that long ago) when all you needed to remember was your name, address & date of birth. Being able to sign your name was all that was required to confirm you were who you said you were.

Move on a few years and we need to remember PINs, user names, passwords, answers to secret questions etc.

I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with this or indeed that there is a better solution but a quick add up of all the sites I visit which require passwords and it's over 100 and rising. There's no way I could / would want to remember all of them so apart from a few important ones the rest are written down & the same password used for many sites.

Does anyone use a different method? Do you simply use one password for everything (& one PIN too)?

Recently on a site where I wanted to change my password I was asked for the answer to my secret question in order to proceed. They didn't tell me what the question was so I tried all the obvious ones:- mother's maiden name, 1st pet, 1st car, 1st love, 1st school all without success so gave up. :damn:

Some of my early passwords were also fairly straightforward (so I could remember them) now we're being told that they should be more complicated to make them harder to guess. A combination of letters (lower & uppercase) & numbers should be used. As an example a password that was recently allocated to me (& can't be changed) was along the lines of p456WQ3iLFRl199z. OK hard to guess & equally hard to remember so it has to be stored esp with some sites that don't allow auto access.

Didn't someone once say 'Computers will make life easier for all of us' :scared:

Paul,as a purely selfless act on my behalf,email me all your info(PINs,usernames,passwords,credit card numbers etc).I will look after them for you.When you need one simply email me and I will tell you.

My email address will be........

livingitup@yourexpense.com :rolleyes: tongue out icon :dan: :ab

Something witty goes here..

My email address will be........

livingitup@yourexpense.com :rolleyes: tongue out icon :dan: :ab

You see I'm not the only one - I tried to send you all the info but your email address is incorrect :rolleyes: :joe:

Funny you say all that Paul,

I had a similar conversation with me mum the other day

I counted all the passwords i need to remember - and those secret questions.

I think every organisation now knows the name of my dog tongue out icon

Anyways - Its the world we live in - Persoanlly i think it would be good to have fingerprint recognition on some services - only way that could be "frauded" or whatever would be to chop ya fingers off! :rolleyes:

Makes me laugh when you do ring the bank or something - you go through all the security rubbish, then when you get through to a real person - its "We need to confirm who you are" WHY? do you think i would of sat here pressing seven different combinations of numbers , listen to your on hold music to try and rob your bank????

Another one to think about - Legit or not sometimes, is possible calls you may receive from "your bank" please confirm who you are? YOU rang me! Confirm who you are ! :wall:

Anyway rant over tongue out icon

I had one the other evening from a life insurance company claiming to be affiliated to my bank.

I'm sure it was genuine, but when he asked me to confirm my DOB, he got the same answer anybody who rings me gets. "You rang me, you tell me and I'll tell you if you're right"

That's usually the end of the call.

I look after so many different systems at work, and they all need different usernames and passwords, so I have to keep a list stored away in a safe place.

At my age, I do well to remember where I live. :wall:

Quitting Smoking & Drinking doesn't make you live longer

It just feels like it.

I use a piece of software called Roboform. The only password I have to remember is the one that's required to activate that. You can also set up profiles with it, which means you can input all your details, and nine times out of ten, when you go to fill in a form online it will fill in all the boxes for you. Well worth checking out.

Neil B