Dj's United

Opinions On My New Setup Please Guys!

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks a very tidy setup, I do like the screens but also love the clean look you have.

Below is a pick of my mates setup although we are still setting up so is a bit untidy in places still.

http://www.british-birds-in-aviculture.info/P1010002%5B1%5Dcopy.gif

James.....

I know what your saying about beefing up the sound system......its the only real thing Im gonna do to my rig.

Just looking round for the right deal for me now, whether to go active or passive etc.....and then Im sorted.

I have now uprated my sound system.....

Mach TXs 15" bins and 15" tops (tops mounted on poles)

Very stable, so I have eliminated the trip hazzard from speaker stand legs....

And the sound system is about 1.5k.....which is very loud and I really cant see me doing a venue where more power than that is needed.

Will post a new pics later today, although its still blurred.

Everytime I take a pic of my rig it comes out blurred, not sure if its because the camera is focusing on the cloth and thats whats blurring it.......any ideas folks?

Re: Karls' picture:

Now that's a disco! smile icon

Edited by Andy Westcott

Sorry but if that disco (in karls picture) turned up I would not be impressed. Think it looks like something out of the 70's. I dont think the disco should be to in your face. Think the speakers look awfull as well.

No offence. :joe:

Sorry but if that disco (in karls picture) turned up I would not be impressed. Think it looks like something out of the 70's. I dont think the disco should be to in your face. Think the speakers look awfull as well.

:joe: No offence.

Nah, I think that most people still prefer that kind of BIG BEEFY speaker type look. Dunno about the cathedral style stainedglass window white bits :)

Although the originally posted set up is very neat, make sure you take a better picture for the website mind :)

: Do the things that people say you cannot :

Nah, I think that most people still prefer that kind of BIG BEEFY speaker type look.

Sorry mate but I could not disagree with that statement for strongly.

Edited by DJGAVT

Speaking from a couple of years experience only I've found that people the majority of the time like a disco to look like a disco i.e. the same as set ups shown on here.

I've had people compliment me on my setup saying they have seen a "minimalistic" approach and dont like it. Plus if I'm playing a venue with a stage, decent sized dancefloor and say 100 plus guests that dictates that I will need a decent amount of lights.

I cant really be that minimal when there is my laptop, wireless mic, amp plus my cds and mixer, hence I use a goal post so its a decent size but neat and tidy.

For me sound quality is 99% most important, 1% looks

For a wedding i'd say its 50/50

For kids/rave its probably looks over sound

Theres no wrong or right here.

I'd be annoyed if a dj turned up with a pair of active 15's if he knew the gig was an all night hardcore rave, liekwise if he arrived at a wedding with 8xdouble 18 bins, some 15 inch kick bins & several huge flare horns & an amp rack taller than me.

Sound - 32 Channel System, 2 x RCF 4Pro 6001 & 4 x RCF TTS18A Subs - 6K RMS Active System

Lights - 4 x Martin Mac 250+, 4 x Assorted LED FX, 6 x 1m LED Pixelpar, 2 x 1500 W Strobes, PC Control

Video - 6x4 to 14x10 ft screens & assorted projectors, plasmas, 10 DV Layers, broadcast cameras.

Sorry mate but I could not agree with that statement for strongly.

Did you mean.....

"Sorry mate but I could not DISagree with that statement MORE strongly.

Lev - I have been trying to take better pic for the website, but like I said earlier pics of my rig seem to come out a bit blurry all the time and I have yet to work out quite why that happens......

It maybe because the camera is focusing on the wall behind and not the actually rig......I dont know

Edited by NRG Roadshow

No offence taken mate, its surprising just how good it all looks when its running.

It is old school which my mate likes as he is trying to keep the traditional disco feel.

To me personally its a little too much but one thing for sure when the full show is up and running in a large hall they certainly get their moneys worth.

The actual full show does get split down for smaller venues but for them large places were most of the modern shows would be lost this is when it makes perfect sense and impresses the most.

abit of a equipment tart are we lol

i would invest in some different lighting,i dont like having twin sets of the same lights,I like to be able to use different lighting all through the night and at then in the last couple of hours get it all working together for the ultimate lighting show !

Ok well heres the latest rig pic.....

Still not happy with the slightly blurred pic, only blurs when trying to take a pic of the rig, which is weird.

Does anyone have any tips or reasons why the pics keep bluring?

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a311/aquanick2001/newrig2.jpg

Dont know why its blurring but yeah a nice tidy setup, looks good :-)

Ste

Stephen Owens Entertainments

Office: 01704 897078

Mobile: 0782 8270 854

Web: www.stephen-owens.co.uk

Email: Monkey-business-disco@hotmail.co.uk

Still not happy with the slightly blurred pic, only blurs when trying to take a pic of the rig, which is weird.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a311/aquanick2001/newrig2.jpg

Looking Good Nik,

Would be good to see some pics with the lights in action.

On a seperate measure, this is my Bug bear (not related to you Nik just generalising) i have looked at various disco websites and lots of us put pics in our galleries of customers dancing the night away and having a good time etc. BUT hardly any pics of their disco in action (lighting etc). I think this is a BIG letdown for the potential customer and we need to get pics of those rigs on your sites guys !

(Sorry to stray off topic !)

It is normally a couple of things.

- Not fast enough shutter. If you didn't use flash this might happen in a darker room. It looks like you used the flash on the camera, so this would have compensated for that.

- But, I would say that possibly your camera had problems focussing on your starcloth as it is mainly black and flat.

Try half pressing the shutter to focus on something else on the rig, say one of the lights or the speakers. They are all the same distance away. Your camera should acknowledge focus with a beep and maybe visibily on the screen (it depends how your camera is setup, but this is normally the default). When it has done this, keep the button half presses and re-aim the camera to take the desired picture (i.e the full rig)

Another common problem I see is people do not realise there is a half press stage on the shutter button, so they press it down straight away. This is equivilent to overriding the cameras focus choice by not giving it time to focus. In daylight the focusing will 'lock on' quicker. In more difficult situations it will take longer and therefore the picture is taken before the camera had time to focus.

Try turning the lights down or closing the curtains in your house and experient. You will see what i mean.

----------------------------

Thanks ... Dave

Wired For Sound Discos

Hmmm.....thanks for the tips on the camera.

I have actually tried things like focus locking on the lighting then re-aiming the camera, it didnt work.

The shutter speed is preset when using the flash at 1/125, which should be fast enough to eliminate any camera shake........

I think your right it seems to be the starcloth causing the trouble....

The only other thing I can do is use the manual focus which my digital camera has the option of, which is really the only thing I aint tried.

i have looked at various disco websites and lots of us put pics in our galleries of customers dancing the night away and having a good time etc. BUT hardly any pics of their disco in action (lighting etc). I think this is a BIG letdown for the potential customer and we need to get pics of those rigs on your sites guys !

Yea I can kind of see your point on that, but I have always thought that potential customers would rather see people having a good time than pictures of the setup, to anyone other than a DJ would pics of just the rig not be viewed as tools of the trade, surely its better for them to see people having a good time therefore illustrating the great time they would have if they hired you for their party?

Here is the same image reduced and very slightly enhanced.

Set-up is looking good.

nrg.jpg

Do you have an AFMF button on the camera? If so, which setting is it on?

• 11 months later...

Getting a bit worried....?

Am I the only DJ who doesnt have acres of Lightscreens abd Starcloths in front of me when i'm working.

I have a starcloth but use it as a backdrop...the audience can see me full length and I work to the side as a a cabaret singer does.this receives very positive comments....the customers sense there is no barrier between us.....I am in fact an integral part of the party.Works for me!!

And me too

.....but what do I know ?

Your Big Event

Office:01803 813540

Direct: 0797 0717 448

e.mail:info@yourbigevent.co.uk

I like the barrier. Then I can invite people behind the decks if I wish. My punters at the moment are pretty well behaved but I've done gigs with beer sloshing everywhere / fighting etc, so the barrier proves useful sometimes.

----------------------------

Thanks ... Dave

Wired For Sound Discos

Getting a bit worried....?

Am I the only DJ who doesnt have acres of Lightscreens abd Starcloths in front of me when i'm working.

I have a starcloth but use it as a backdrop...the audience can see me full length and I work to the side as a a cabaret singer does.this receives very positive comments....the customers sense there is no barrier between us.....I am in fact an integral part of the party.Works for me!!

I've seen a couple of local DJ's who like to "do it side-saddle" and have always thought that it looks quite "off the beaten track". I don't think I would feel too comfortable doing it that way although if the situation or the client demanded it I would have to quickly adjust.

JB's MUSIC MACHINE

Mobile Party & Function DJ covering the South & South-West area

Tel: 07904 265620 or visit www.jbmusicmachine.co.uk

Yes I like this look, I used to have the lot, light screens, helipcopters, big speakers, a stage full but this christmas I have a simple star cloth, led par cans DMX linked, Abstract Gladiators DMX'd and an led Boogie.

For the first time in possibly the last ten years I have been complimented on my set up by clients.

I now can set up in 30 mins and be gone in 15 mins. And let me repeat - I have had positive comments so I'm afraid the time has come to change. You know it's only DJ's who actually care about fancy lights, all the clients really want is good music. So there you go :Thumbup: