Dj's United

What Software Do You Use?

Hey guys, being a new guy to DJing and just starting out. I'm curious as to what software people use out there?

At the moment I am learning to use:

Numark Cue - Which I currently plan to use for normal functions/events. It has some basic effects which can be upgraded and is a fairly easy to use bit of kit. I can also get USB 'controls/decks' to interact with the software more easily once I get some cash for these gizmos.

Mixmeister Fusion - Amazing but of software, I would never use it 'on the fly' as I am only now after over a month of playing with it getting confident with about 10 of 1,000's of sound-effects/mixing-effects and more :joe:

This is then used with my KAM dual-CD player/mixer/deck. Mainly as a backup in case the laptop dies.

I'll be starting advertising soon, so am keen to learn of anything better out there to give a try :ab

My Website

-DJ LEXX

Ive only ever used 2 programs for DJ'ing

AtomixMP3

and

PCDJ

And to be honest - I used to love Atomix as it did exactly what it said on the tin

However after my recent purchase of PCDJ i prefer this now....

PCDJ Red VRM

In the new year I'll be adding the Karaoke plug in as well, so that'll be another load of discs I won't need to carry. :rolleyes:

Quitting Smoking & Drinking doesn't make you live longer

It just feels like it.

Mixmeister Fusion.

There are a lot of choices download the free demo's and see what works best for you.

Personally would have bought the Denon 2500 if I could turn clock back 6 months.

But Mixmeister it is for me for the near future.

If you add up the cost laptop, soundcard, program the Denon is an all in one out of the box.

PCDJ Blue VRM

Easy to use, tried a couple of others (can't remember which ones!) but I preferred PCDJ.

Download some demos, have a play and go from there.

They don't call me Krazy for nothing! Krazy by name - Krazy by nature !!!

Age doesn't matter, unless you're a cabinet!

K K Disco

PCDJ FX VRM - After a lot of demo'ing etc bought this and apart from the issues of having to renew the DB every time I load new tracks onto my hdisk, I love it (Doesn't read DB realtime)

Cheers!

Roy B.

Digital Distortion Disco (D3 Entertainments)

See you around!

I would suggest the type of music you play and what type of dj you are will have a major bearing on your software choice.

For nearly five years I used Traktor, it never once let me down, did everything I asked of it and was extremely simple to use, with the best search facility around. However, after a post on here a couple of months ago by Steve Mitchell extolling the virtues of Ots Av I downloaded the demo, played with it at home for a couple of weeks and bought it. It is truly an amazing piece of software.

So, back to my initial comment about the music you play and how you play it having a bearing on your decision. If you want to include scratching, effects, load's of loops, two or three minute mixes with dance, house, rnb etc. then Traktor could well be the beast for you, or even Mixmeister (that I've got too and yes, it's hot). I rarely used the effects or gadgets on Traktor as I predominately play 70's, 80's, 90's and am not at the sharp end of mixing.

You haven't got that many effects on Ots but that suits my style just fine, you can scratch, which I do solely for a laugh to make my crowd think I'm a proper dj, might even go for the back to front baseball cap for the full effect! http://planetsmilies.net/music-smiley-7504.gif Cool at my tender age of 56! Also if you are considering Karaoke and/or videos then Ots could be the package for you.

What I would say though, is if you go the Ots route be prepared to invest a lot of hours into preparing your library. Converting your mp3's to Ots files is relatively pain free but it's setting up your beat markers and other editing jobs that take the time. One Ots user I spoke to says it takes him up to a week to set up and edit just ONE cd!!! However the end result is worth the effort, it mixes tracks at such different bpm's it really is mind numbing at times.

I once read about the evils of heavy drinking ................ so I've stopped reading

COPYWIGHT: Elmer Fudd 1956, All wights wesewved.

• 2 weeks later...

Heres what I've been using trouble free for over two years now.

Deejay System

It hasn't the range of features the others have but it's really, really easy to use.

John

I've got a full copy of SAM DJ which I haven't yet fully used because I have a load of tracks bought from Itunes that SAM DJ won't play because of the AAC format. But I have just has a look at Deejay System and it has a plugin for AAC format so next week I'll download a trial copy and have a play.

Hey guys, being a new guy to DJing and just starting out. I'm curious as to what software people use out there?

At the moment I am learning to use:

Numark Cue - Which I currently plan to use for normal functions/events. It has some basic effects which can be upgraded and is a fairly easy to use bit of kit. I can also get USB 'controls/decks' to interact with the software more easily once I get some cash for these gizmos.

Mixmeister Fusion - Amazing but of software, I would never use it 'on the fly' as I am only now after over a month of playing with it getting confident with about 10 of 1,000's of sound-effects/mixing-effects and more :joe:

This is then used with my KAM dual-CD player/mixer/deck. Mainly as a backup in case the laptop dies.

I'll be starting advertising soon, so am keen to learn of anything better out there to give a try :ab

...HI I USE TRICERASOFT IT HAS IT OWN KAFRAOKE PLUG IN AND YOU CAN ALSO PUT TEXT MESSAGE ON THE BIGSCREEN ADVERTISING SPECIAL DRINKS OFFERS ETC OR EVEN THE NAME OF THE BRIDE AND GROOM ETC...BUT BE CAREFUL AS SOME PROGS DONT RUN WELL WITH WINDOWS VISTA..SO BE SURE TO CHECK THE SPEC OF THE SOFTWARE.

I use otsav have used it for quite a few years now and still love the prog.. But it all depends what you want to do with your software. I am a party DJ and don't mix all that much I also use my set up for playin between band sets and for radio roadshows so ots suits me down to the ground. But if your a serious mix DJ then its probably not the best on the market for that and would suggest you look at traktor.

Nik

I have used Traktor 3 right from the start of my DJ days, and still use it today....for the last month or so I have also hooked up a Behringer BCD3000 to it.....previously used to do everything with a mouse.......and now I wonder how I managed without the BCD....makes things so much easier.

I did go through a period of trying SAM DJ, PCDJ, Ots, Virtual DJ and just about every other DJ software you can think of, although I was happy with Traktor I just wondered if thier was somthing else out their that suited me better......their wasnt so I went back to Traktor 3.

I've been using Traktor for the last 3-4 yrs now and I have to a admit I've hardly used most of it's functions while out working.

The only time I put it to full use is when I feel like making my own mixes, loops and jingles which I then save to use out, and because of the way you can do this you don't have to break any copyright laws :)

Ohh and as for the PCDJ Karaoke plug-in it's not that good. If you want a good Karaoke software then look to Tricerasoft for a selection, there's something there for everyone.

Educating the young in the ways of the old

Serato scratch live and it is the dogs nuts of DJ Programs i have to say (and i have used most of them pcdj red and fx, traktor etc). Its so easy to use and full of great stuff. Also love the fact it still looks like your DJ'ing "properly" tongue out icon as you can control it with CD's or Vinyl.

• 3 weeks later...

PCDJ Red VRM i have been using it now for 8 months or so, and i have never made a better choice, had a few issues to start with but on the whole they got sorted with a little help from people on forums.

Just got the DAC 3 this weekend and used it last night, quality piece of kit,

So my advice is pretty obvious

Craig Mac Entertainments

Listen to Craig Mac every Sunday on 7 Waves Community Radio between 12am - 2pm on 92.1fm

or online www.7waves.co.uk (goes on air 1st March 2008 for 5+ years)

hi i use BPM studio 4 by alcatech, dont use it all nite tho just at the start when they want to be able to speak am sure yous know what i mean, i notice nobody else has mentioned this soft ware, i find it so easy to use just make up couple of play lists and leave it running its an easy start to the night

Up until today I have been using Kramware Kra mixer software. It has been ok but had basic functions on it.

I have today found some new software called Beatport Sync which is great so far !!

Even beatmixes for you if you want it, or just mixes the next song in so this would be great for toilet breaks for me ! still prefer to use CD's though.

Cheers

Email :: info@nrgize-disco.co.uk

I use otsav have used it for quite a few years now and still love the prog.. But it all depends what you want to do with your software. I am a party DJ and don't mix all that much I also use my set up for playin between band sets and for radio roadshows so ots suits me down to the ground. But if your a serious mix DJ then its probably not the best on the market for that and would suggest you look at traktor.

Nik

Sam here... Pretty much the same as Nik.

Traditional style (big on Microphone presentation) kind of Dj.

Have used OTSDJ for a number of years and serves me well, no beat mixing needed..

• 5 months later...

we only use 2 programs :

Disco : Automix

Karaoke : PCDJ VJ

Great software and easy to use

-----------------------------------------------------------

Pine Apple Entertainments Mobile Disco & Karoke

www.pinapplentertainments.co.uk

*Dont Delay Call Lee Today*

-----------------------------------------------------------