Dj's United

Help Required Please

Hi guys

this friday will be my first gig since february due to injury and id like to try using my laptop for the first time as well as using cds.

ive got Atomix Virtual DJ loaded.

when i connect the laptop to my 5.1 surround at home it gives me 3 options of :

headphones/ speaker out/ or s/pdif-out. (any ideas what s/pdif-out is)

once i click on speaker out i can then use the external volume control from my 5.1

i then try connecting it to my numark cd mix 2 via single jack to double jack to the auxilary line input. this works fine and i get the 3 same options for headphones/speaker out or s/pdif-out. i click on the speaker out again but i have no volume control on the mixer at all and have to use the on screen volume control on the laptop.

any ideas how i get round this so i can use the slide control on the mixer or do i need an external soundcard for my laptop.

hope this makes sence

cheers

jim

IF IT MOVES, FUNK IT.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

If there's no vol control on the CDMix2 then its either faulty or you've got the plugs in the wrong sockets! AUX input is controlled like the CD players by slider..which is selectable mic2/line. Make sure the phono-line selector slider (on the rear) is set to line as well or else the laptop may try to blast the volume through the turntable preamp!

Double check you've not plugged the laptop into the master output phono sockets by mistake as this will have a similar effect!

Forget SPDIF, this is a digital co-axial output from the laptop for cinema systems or recording onto digital recorders like DAT and Minidisc.

If there's no vol control on the CDMix2 then its either faulty or you've got the plugs in the wrong sockets! AUX input is controlled like the CD players by slider..which is selectable mic2/line. Make sure the phono-line selector slider (on the rear) is set to line as well or else the laptop may try to blast the volume through the turntable preamp!

Double check you've not plugged the laptop into the master output phono sockets by mistake as this will have a similar effect!

Forget SPDIF, this is a digital co-axial output from the laptop for cinema systems or recording onto digital recorders like DAT and Minidisc.

cheers for the reply superstardeejay.

just got back in so thought id try it using my mp3 player and it works fine. so plugged the laptop back in and this time it works fine as well. no idea what it was. all plugs and switches were set the same as earlier.

thanks for the advice.

jim

IF IT MOVES, FUNK IT.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---