Dj's United

Morning all!

Random one here!

Normally i Dj larger marquee/venues 18th/21st private parties etc, it's a market i've wedged myself into and carry chunky kit. Also my Dj work is more of a hobby on the side and a way of makng some extra cash.

Last night my local pub landlord ( a mate of mine) asked me to DJ NYE, Normally i avoid NYE, and have a party myself, but as i wasn't doing much and most my mates are away i said i would consider it! My gut reaction was no, but thenhe said he wanted a 90's dance night it got the old juices flowing.

I've never DJed a pub before ( not that thats the issue), but what kind of money can i realistically charge him for NYE.

My normal rates don't only reflect my dj skill but take into account the equipment etc which will obvious be less for the venue. But obviously this is NYE - normally a gig like this i would go out for £600 but then that takes into account all my kit!

I'm giving him Sound system (and Dj services) and a full VJ set up as well,

one problem i have is i won't be able to get most my stuff in there so will have to beg and borrow of friends ( which i hate doing)

question -

How much should i charge ( from 9-2 ) ( background before 9)?

And anyother tips would be appreciated!

what kind of money can i realistically charge him for NYE.

It depends on the size of the pub and on how many people will be there, also if there is a door charge.

I'm giving him Sound system (and Dj services) and a full VJ set up as well,

one problem i have is i won't be able to get most my stuff in there so will have to beg and borrow of friends ( which i hate doing)

What equipment would you need to borrow which you haven't got, or which is too big to fit in a pub?

You dont need the full width of lighting truss, amps, decks, lights are all the same size (just dont use them all), I'm pretty sure you will be able to get one pair of your speakers in too.

The other thing is, if the pub is so small none of your kit is going to fit it wont be big enough to warrant a decent wage.

Jim

ok pub is .... probably max of 80 people.

My sounds system and music based bits will just be ok.

The lighting rig won't, we generally run a trilite truss.

so it's just borrowing a t bar stand or two.

he's charging £10 per ticket.

I was thinking £250 sounds fair.

My own view of this is that I wouldn't normally do a NYE in a pub anyhow - only in an 'indepenant' venue.

With that in mind, I'd set the price high enough to make it worth my while, and if that proves too much for the landlord, take the evening off.

As you said, this is what you usually do anyhow, so the fee must fully compensate you for your time if you have to work.

I'd offer to do it for £500, given the info you've provided, but I expect that'll be way over what the landlord is expecting - remember he has to sell perhaps 3 (or even more) times that amount in drink, over and above what he would normall sell, to cover the cost of hiring you. This is why pup gigs generally pay so badly.

Ultimately, it depends on whether you need the money and simply must do some work no matter what the fee, or whether you prefer the night off.

Another option might be to agree on a percentage of the door takings. That way you both share the risk/reward. I would suggest 75/25 (75% to you). So a full pub and you get your £600. He gets £200 to cover extra wages etc plus all the extra profit from drink sales.