Dj's United

Hi.

I'm currently with heart internet and they have their own web-builder which I use for my site. It's a real nightmare to use but I've put up with it until now, but I can't any longer.

Can anyone recommend a good web-site builder, easy to use and affordable.

The problem with heart's one is that if you edit even the tiniest part of your site on the builder, it automatically loses all the FTP/cji/html script such as title of pages, meta tags, intergrated web-forms etc. So I need a package that will not do this.

Thanks in advance.

N2K Entertainments

http://www.n2kentertainments.co.uk

stephen@n2kentertainments.co.uk

"Mr Site Builder" is what I use.

Its easy to use for the beginner and has enough additional features available for the more advanced web designers to utilise.

Link to it available on my site.

Good Luck

• 3 months later...

Have you tried making a site in Dreamweaver before?

My site is almost complete now, fortunately I create my own and design them for a living, but, as I know I cannot canvass my services here, I will however offer any advise if you need some to create your own using Dreamweaver. Web building is getting so easy these days.

I dont like these, click 3 buttons and have a website tools they just dont make you look proffesional.

DJ Jenx

www.JenxDisco.co.uk -

• 1 month later...

Have you tried making a site in Dreamweaver before?

My site is almost complete now, fortunately I create my own and design them for a living, but, as I know I cannot canvass my services here, I will however offer any advise if you need some to create your own using Dreamweaver. Web building is getting so easy these days.

I dont like these, click 3 buttons and have a website tools they just dont make you look proffesional.

Hi there what type of money are we talking about to build a web site,advertiseing my mobile disco/karaoke?

any info will do

Hi there what type of money are we talking about to build a web site,advertiseing my mobile disco/karaoke?

any info will do

How much do you want to spend?

Picture the scene:

Someone pays £1,500 to have their website designed and built by a 'web-designer'.

The person is happy with the site layout and looks, believing the money was well spent and justified.

However, the site wasn't optimised. No keywords were asked for as part of the request and consequently, were not included. Everytime this person wanted to have the site 'updated', they had to go via the web designer and pay their rate...EVERY TIME!!!

Website 'build' costs need not be expensive these days - there are plenty of free website templates out there to utilise.

Your ISP may provide web-space as part of your package. If not, I'm sure others can provide examples of hosting rates.

You may wish to buy a domain name which is the same as or similar to your disco name. Have a look at 123 reg for UK (.co.uk) prices in your research.

If building your own site is not your bag, then I would suggest that you look for testimonials and positive feedback from satisfied clients before entering into any agreements with a web designer.

Hi.

I'm currently with heart internet and they have their own web-builder which I use for my site. It's a real nightmare to use but I've put up with it until now, but I can't any longer.

Can anyone recommend a good web-site builder, easy to use and affordable.

The problem with heart's one is that if you edit even the tiniest part of your site on the builder, it automatically loses all the FTP/cji/html script such as title of pages, meta tags, intergrated web-forms etc. So I need a package that will not do this.

Thanks in advance.

I used Heart Internet for a while and found the same problems, I now use Freewebs which I find a lot easier to use for the same price roughly as heart and they tell you how to transfer your domain etc. Easy to use even for me!

Mike

any info will do

To be honest, a simple site can be created fairly cheaply. Site builders can prove a quick way to get something up- and most visitors won't care, providing it looks clean.

For a fairly simple site, and for a guide only I would charge £200 for a company site, this would be a static site (no user content management)

This would be a few pages, gallery, and assistance getting Google Analytics set-up (ie help understanding what each section means)

Hosting would be extra - I would offer hosting at £70/year, or they would be free to use other hosting, at the understanding my support it limited to the site only.

Compare this to "mrsite":

£34.99 (email price), with free hosting for 1 year. I've never used it, but assume its pretty simple to use, and I guess you get some help from the company.

I have seen some nice sites made using MrSite and some horrible ones.

If you've got some graphic design ability, something like MrSite is your best bet.

If you have little talent in that area, or have high expectations, hire someone, but agree a price for updates before you are committed to using them. Also, if they are providing hosting, ensure you get the full account details (ie FTP username & password), and the domain name is in your name. This will give you to best control if things turn sour.

I doubt many of your customers will care how the site was created, and unless you are interested in learning HTML & CSS & FTP.. , you'll either need an easy to use tool, or hire someone.

Hope this helps,

Jason

• 2 weeks later...

To be honest, a simple site can be created fairly cheaply. Site builders can prove a quick way to get something up- and most visitors won't care, providing it looks clean.

I use a very old package called Visual Page.

You just type in the words you want and add pictures accordingly.

If you start getting into the things like Dreamweaver or Visual Web Developer it becomes much more difficult unless you understand HTML etc

i'm currently experimenting with Joomla which is a free template, content driven running on PHP and MYSQL.

Again you need some degree of graphic design to make it look good. The content driven side was important for me on this project which is what drew me to Joomla.

My WFSD website is badly crafted in Dreamweaver but looks ok IMO.

----------------------------

Thanks ... Dave

Wired For Sound Discos

Hi Dave,

I'll be interested in how you get on with Joomla. I found most CMS a bit strange to configure. Installation was ok, but just appeared difficult/complicated to get some content on. - perhaps I should have put more time into it?! I did trial a few, but they all didn't click for me (or I'm just dumb!)

I use "CMS made simple" for a few sites, as that is pretty straight forward, and uses a nice template engine.

I think Joomla has more modules/support though, so your post may spur me on to checking it out again..

Jason