Dj's United

Iec To Bulgin Wiring, Any Ideas?

HI all

after blowing up two light chasers because someone supplied me with leads that were wired up wrong, i have had to buy a new NJD light chaser unit, the problem is that the new unit has a iec socket and not bulgin, i have just purchased a iec plug but wouldnt have a clue what wire goes to what terminal as they are not numbered, where as bulgin leads are, i have a electrician that will do it for me, but i would like to give him some idea what number wire on the bulgin plug goes to what terminal on the iec plug,

any one got any idea??????

cheers

Haydn

As you may know search engines (particularly Google) rank sites higher if they have other sites linking to them.

I think you may need to show us a picture, or you've got the wrong name for one of the plugs.

I've never seen a chaser with a single IEC output socket, there just aren't enough connections.

Do you mean it has four separate IEC outputs - one for each light?

Not much help to you I'm afraid, or maybe I'm misreading your description.

Quitting Smoking & Drinking doesn't make you live longer

It just feels like it.

Are you sure you havent got a Quartet controller? These use an ELVCON connector which looks like a fat multi-way IEC connector. They are designed by Electrovision/NJD themselves. They are supplied by CPC.

CPC cat page

http://cpc.farnell.com/productimages/farnell/standard/9161482.jpg

Edited by superstardeejay

Are you sure you havent got a Quartet controller? These use an ELVCON connector which looks like a fat multi-way IEC connector. They are designed by Electrovision/NJD themselves. They are supplied by CPC.

CPC cat page

http://cpc.farnell.com/productimages/farnell/standard/9161482.jpg

cheers superstar, yes i have just got that plug but need to wire it up to a exsisting bulgin lead, any ideas what goes where????

Haydn

As you may know search engines (particularly Google) rank sites higher if they have other sites linking to them.

cheers superstar, yes i have just got that plug but need to wire it up to a exsisting bulgin lead, any ideas what goes where????

Haydn

Why not just buy the lead ready made ?

CPC do them in various lengths, and it'll only cost you a few quid more than buying the components anyway.

Leading the way in leaving the UK

Last man out turn off the lights !

Managed to find this for you, hope this helps.

http://www.stagesupplies.nl/images/multipin_8pin_bulgin.gif

Looking at the picture above, this is the standard pin out (looking at the back of the male connector) these may not relate to the numbers in the plug.

1. Earth

2. Neutral (Bridged with 3)

3. Neutral

4. N/C (not connected)

5. Live 1

6. Live 2

7. Live 3

8. Live 4

Cheers

Nathan

Email :: info@nrgize-disco.co.uk

If you use the previous key for the bulgin end (which is standard) the poster has suspected rightly that the numbers in the plug aren't right. Bulgin is as follows:

1 earth (centre)

2,3,4,5 lives out

6 not connected

7,8 common neutrals (share the load!)

The ELVCON should be marked inside anyway!

http://www.premier-solutions.biz/Premier%20Products/EVF%20Plug%20wiring_small.jpg

Dont forget to use at least 7 core cable and wire each neutral to each at each end, dont just fit a jumper at each end and use one neutral wire as it may overheat.

Edited by superstardeejay

super star you are a top gezza, just what i needed, im going to get the electrcian to take one end off a bulgin lead and connect the elvcon to it, the plug onlt cost a few quid where as a new lead would be in excess of £15, and i have so mant bulgin leads now its unbelievable,

just a quick question, is that diagram of inside plug or outside, last thing i want is more gear being blown up,

cheers

haydn

The details for that damned awful Elvcon connector are also available on NJD's website if you have a hunt around.

Try the Quartet manual...

http://www.njd.co.uk/technical/356.pdf

it's on page 3, but there's no t!ts

:Thumbup:

Leading the way in leaving the UK

Last man out turn off the lights !

cheers guys

wired it up ok and had the new light box working last weekend and looked great on the set.

thanks again

haydn