Dj's United

Pli For A 12 Year Old (can I Get It)

No Offence Daniel....

But I honestly think your thinking way ahead of yourself, gain a bit of experience and see if you could make your business work before you delve too heavily into those kinds of things......

I have currently done over 40 discos and have been told goods and bads by cilent. I however can not meet school and comunity centre standereds if i have no insurance or kit pat tested.

Dj Danny

Good luck to you matey and well done for having ago.. My advice to you would be, get your Dad, uncle etc (an adult) to run the business, put it in their name and you be the DJ.

As with the insurance am guessing that whoever`s name you put it in they must be also present at the gig?

Steve

5 European cups and 18 leagues, that`s what we call history.

Sorry to be the bringer of bad news but legally you cannot work under the age of 13 and even at 14, there are restrictions concerning how many hours and at what times you can work.

Have a look at http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/YoungPeople/Wo...twork/DG_066272 . Having PLI might allow you to work at venues that require it but as you legally shouldn't be working, it would invalidate any cover.

Sorry to be the bringer of bad news but legally you cannot work under the age of 13 and even at 14, there are restrictions concerning how many hours and at what times you can work.

Have a look at http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/YoungPeople/Wo...twork/DG_066272 . Having PLI might allow you to work at venues that require it but as you legally shouldn't be working, it would invalidate any cover.

Well Then Should I at the moment do it for free just to get my name out?

Dj Danny

Done 40 gigs already?????????

Never under estimate the number of discos that mates want.

A well connected youngster amongst their friends and peers at school, youth and sports clubs etc would be quite well placed to offer their services to many many potential clients.

Edited by Gary

Well Then Should I at the moment do it for free just to get my name out?

NO.

I don't want to be a party pooper but. what you are doing is against the law. As mentioned you can not legally work until the age of 13, then you can only do 4 hrs (ie. a paper round at half an hour a day over 6 days = 3 hrs) and can not work after 7.00pm. Then you must get a letter from your headmaster / local LEA and your parents. You also until the age of 18 (or leave full time education), must have a chaperone (sp). You can not work anywhere where alchol is served.

As I said, I don't want to be a party pooper, but I am going through all this at the moment as I act as agent for a theatre school dealing with toddlers up to 18 yr olds, also my daughter is 12 and she wants to get on the road singing, we are fortunate that her headmaster and teachers are 100% behind her (probably because she has just got a diploma in singing (eq, to a gcse, so i've been told)), but we can't do anything until after her next birthday, and even then it's limited.

..playing all the hits for you...

....whether you may be....

Why can't I see what i going on???

Surley though if Daniels Dad goes with him and acts as though its his business and lets Daniel do the job no one will question it.

Steve

5 European cups and 18 leagues, that`s what we call history.

Surley though if Daniels Dad goes with him and acts as though its his business and lets Daniel do the job no one will question it.

This si what i am going to do. I am going to put bussiness in dads name and i get pli in my name so i can do discos. To be honest dad dosent even realy need to come along. Other option is get an older friend i.e. 18 over year old to help.

Dj Danny

This si what i am going to do. I am going to put bussiness in dads name and i get pli in my name so i can do discos.

MU info:

Are you a student in full-time education?

You can pay £5 per month or £15 per quarter by Direct Debit.

Alternatively pay £60 per year by cheque, credit card or Direct Debit.

The Concessionary rate is available for members who are full time students.

To be honest dad dosent even realy need to come along. Other option is get an older friend i.e. 18 over year old to help.

What do you carry all your gear in to get around to do mobile gigs? Hope you don't use an open container with a single wheel at the front and two handles at the back!

MU info:

Are you a student in full-time education?

You can pay £5 per month or £15 per quarter by Direct Debit.

Alternatively pay £60 per year by cheque, credit card or Direct Debit.

The Concessionary rate is available for members who are full time students.

What do you carry all your gear in to get around to do mobile gigs? Hope you don't use an open container with a single wheel at the front and two handles at the back!

No i mean dad takes me up to the places and helps take cases in but i unpack. Dose dad need to stay or can he drop me of and pick me up. (That is leagal)

Dj Danny

Please be very, very careful. These laws were put into place to stop child labour / exploytation (sp).

Whilst your parent(s) can take you on to licenced premises if you are having a meal (or similar) the licencing act 2003, I believe, does not allow anyone under the age of 18 to work on these premises. Youth clubs, well it's been many years since I was at one, so I would suggest talking to the youth leader. I also believe that you could be putting your parent(s) into a legal situation.

I don't know where you are, but do you have a "Conexxtions" in your town, I believe they are fantastic with help, advice etc ect.

Just seen your post - Yes you must have a responsible adult with you at all times. You both must have insurance, as would any one helping you. I'm not even sure that technically you can "operate equipment"

Edited by mikeee

..playing all the hits for you...

....whether you may be....

Why can't I see what i going on???

i would strongly advise that your dad goes to all your shows and stays with you.there are plenty of potential situations that could arise and you need him.

Edited by andyw

Please be very, very careful. These laws were put into place to stop child labour / exploytation (sp).

Whilst your parent(s) can take you on to licenced premises if you are having a meal (or similar) the licencing act 2003, I believe, does not allow anyone under the age of 18 to work on these premises. Youth clubs, well it's been many years since I was at one, so I would suggest talking to the youth leader. I also believe that you could be putting your parent(s) into a legal situation.

I don't know where you are, but do you have a "Conexxtions" in your town, I believe they are fantastic with help, advice etc ect.

Just seen your post - Yes you must have a responsible adult with you at all times. You both must have insurance, as would any one helping you. I'm not even sure that technically you can "operate equipment"

Trust me mate i know my kit in side out back to front i can defenitly operate it. Also at my young age i would know most people who i dj for any way finaly I would not go to a pub however can go to community centres as they have seperate room for bars usualy. Dad dosnt need to be there niether as i can claim i am just playing some music with no fee as money would go to day and it would go straight to me via "pocket money"

Dj Danny

You go for it my friend, my 12 year daughter has done a couple of discos at a community hall & wants to do more & i will encourage it

If someone asks you to do a disco for them im sure at your age you dont bother with contracts ect and they in turn dont expect them from a 12 year old

GO FOR IT & HAVE FUN

hey im 15 and have been doing disco's from the age of 13. i would never do a disco for free but when starting charged a very cheep rate if you dont mind me asking how much do you charge? i know from experience doing local discos is a very good way of making a small income. local youth clubs are often happy to give you a chance.

sorry tht went on abit lol i got carried away

I would be carfull Daniel.....

Im almost certain your PLI will not be valid if the policy holder is not present, check the small print on the contract.

I know for a fact that if I lend my equipment to sombody to use THEY ARE NOT covered by my PLI or equipment insurance.

If the business is in your dads name then technically he is lending you the equipment to use, so I think the same rules apply.

To be honest I wouldnt worry about the PLI too much for the kinds of gigs you will be doing, I cant see its really that relevant.

You did say earlier that your doing your gigs for freinds and family, which is fine, no problem with that, but I dont think they are gonna be expecting contracts and PLI etc, so go for it and have fun......but I would make sure a responsible adult is with you at all times for safetys sake.

Edited by NRG Roadshow