Dj's United

How To Record A Mix?

Hi,

Sorry if this is a silly question...but...if I wanted to make up a disc of a mix of songs..with a crossover/fade on each track..what would be the easiest way of doing it? I'm using my newly purchased Numark MP302 with a Behringer PMX1000 Mixer Unit. What kind of recording device would I need?

Cheers

Robbie

:hphone:

Briefly, not intended to be a silly answer...but if you are happy playing your mix back on a tape - use a tape recorder!

I have a tape player in the diesel broom broom which is still used occasionally!

Anyway, if the playback medium is required to be of a better 'quality' than tape cassette, you could try recording direct into a dedicated CD recorder or a mini disc recorder.

Alternatively, you could use a PC and convert the recording (.wav) into mp3 or other format if desired...

There are several stand alone devices that will record your music and allow you to 'download' into a PC and edit with the usually bundled software. Perhaps this would be ideal?

Looking at the front of mine, there's no reason why you couldn't use a DVD recorder!

Saying that, if you look up some music magazines, you'll probably find a track recorder - the latest are either CD or hard disc recorders but these are orientated more towards those who are into production, who write and record their own music, etc.

Hope this helps. smile icon

I've used a mini-disc recorder connected directly to an output from the mixer for live mixing. Incredibly high quality and you can get them pretty reasonably now on auction sites, they were quite expensive when first out.

You can then record that to virtually any format with very little quality loss.

Phil Cunnington

Member of the LWP

I use Mixmeister Fusion for playing about 95 percent live.

Also use it for organising my weekly radio show.

You can create your playlist with crossfades beatmatching chops etc and then burn to cd.

I,m currently burning 4 cd,s for a friends 40th this weekend and it works great.

Got a weekend off with just a small gathering about 30 people so cd,s hopefully will be ok can sit back and enjoy.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I am hoping to record to CD's..so yes..I can play it back in the car. Don't possess a tape deck in any form anymore...well..an old Aiwa double tape deck that doesn't work properly anymore :(

If I was to pick up a CD recorder or a Mini disc recorder and connect it to the mixer, would that end up giving me a disc with effectively one long song if I recorded from the double CD player?

Thanks for the replies guys.

I am hoping to record to CD's..so yes..I can play it back in the car. Don't possess a tape deck in any form anymore...well..an old Aiwa double tape deck that doesn't work properly anymore :(

If I was to pick up a CD recorder or a Mini disc recorder and connect it to the mixer, would that end up giving me a disc with effectively one long song if I recorded from the double CD player?

Yes it would and when you recorded it from the mini-disc to your computer it would be one track.

As someone else said, that ball game is completely different iof you are mixing on a pc-based system.

I seem to remember there was also a plug -in recording thingy for DJs from Gemini which would record what you played to mp3 or wav. Can;t remember the name of it, I'll look it up, but that might do it for you.

Phil Cunnington

Member of the LWP

I seem to remember there was also a plug -in recording thingy for DJs from Gemini which would record what you played to mp3 or wav. Can;t remember the name of it, I'll look it up, but that might do it for you.

The Gemini iKey is best avoided at any cost.

Don't dedicated CD or mini disc recorders have the option to insert the track number during recording on the fly?

The 'long mix' could be edited on a computer to 'insert' track split the long track.

If i am doing a mix at home i use a Citronic Audio Capture Device ( one e-bay item no 310019030505) direct to the computer

But if i do a live mix i use a mini disc player then use the audio capture device to record to computer then to disc