Dj's United

21st`s Not Done One For Years

Don`t do 18th`s or 21st`s....

Took this booking last year thought i might of been quite in Feb... Came to pack up after the gig and noticed my big bag of cable, extentions had gone, robbed, nicked, pinched, pilthered (SP).

All my spare stuff gone.... The only cable I have now are the ones I used tonight. They were decent cables as-well, vann damm stuff with nutrix etc. All so a sm58 mic, gone ..

As you can see am not happy..Scum bags.

Steve

5 European cups and 18 leagues, that`s what we call history.

Sorry to hear that mate

the worst thing is the wee :cense: probably never even knew what they stole

a guy i work with went to the toilet and came back to find his karaoke discs

where gone. caught the guy on video but he had his hood up and couldn't

be recognized and nobody saw anything!!

next week the same guy turned up at his door asking if he was interested

in some cheap karaoke disks....

thats karma for you

chin up and don't let the :cense: get you down

I've not had any problems with 18ths or 21sts ever.

I'm thinking you were unlucky and that this could have happened at any gig for any age group - don't be too hard on those young adults - they are the brides and grooms of the future. smile icon

Edited by Andy Westcott

I've not had any problems with 18ths or 21sts ever.

I'm thinking you were unlucky and that this could have happened at any gig for any age group - don't be too hard on those young adults - they are the brides and grooms of the future. smile icon

Mmm, the 21st I did prior to this one, I cought some kid sat on the bonnet of my car!

Steve

Mmm, the 21st I did prior to this one, I cought some kid sat on the bonnet of my car!

Folks from wot steve said are 21st's all that bad ???

I have just been asked to quote to do one next month...

As a newbie to this still im having second thoughts... or do i do it for the experience ???

Any Advice Guys/Gals please ??? :rolleyes:

Richard Cheeseman

RJC Discos

richard@rjcdiscos.co.uk

18th and 21st birthdays no doubt *can be* a lot of aggro BUT unless you try one you'll never know. I dread them because of the implications it carries - underage drinkers, kids who can't handle their bottle of Blue Wicked, EXTREMELY judgemental punters who badger you all night for THEIR own particular fave music and slag you off rotten when you don't play it....and then there's the obligatory end of night "handbags" (and I don't mean the variety that the girls dance around). I've even had drunken idiots who fancy themselves on the decks begging me to let them "spin a few toooons".

The bottom line is that all of the above is a very big *IF* but the fact is whatever happens, I always end up enjoying them.

JB's MUSIC MACHINE

Mobile Party & Function DJ covering the South & South-West area

Tel: 07904 265620 or visit www.jbmusicmachine.co.uk

I wouldn't do them now, but the main reason is that I don't really feel qualified. I'm now over 40 and am probably not quite up to date and fashinable enough with music to do them justice.

I did a lot in the past though, and generally used to ejoy them, normally very responsive audiences, and enough eye candy to seriously put you off what you are doing.

Having said that, I would still consider one now, but only really if the client involved was looking for more general party music rather than really up to date stuff. Don't be put off, if you are up with current trends then more often than not they are a lot of fun, though it is one of those occasions when a roadie/assistant can be priceless.

Neil B

I do alot of 18th & 21st & usally they run very smoothly, but as you mentioned some do create problems

I ask (after i have received their deposit ) which security firm they are using, it seems to make Mummy & Daddy think

Usally this works & you see a couple very large uncle's helping out

Also in my booking form i state that any damage to equipment or transport must be paid for

Dont give up, if your abit unsure just go for the Family 18th & 21st

:thanks:

I wouldn't do them now, but the main reason is that I don't really feel qualified. I'm now over 40 and am probably not quite up to date and fashinable enough with music to do them justice.

I did a lot in the past though, and generally used to ejoy them, normally very responsive audiences, and enough eye candy to seriously put you off what you are doing.

Having said that, I would still consider one now, but only really if the client involved was looking for more general party music rather than really up to date stuff. Don't be put off, if you are up with current trends then more often than not they are a lot of fun, though it is one of those occasions when a roadie/assistant can be priceless.

Thanks for that advice folks

I will take it on board. There are 2 of us anyhow in our setup so that will be ok..

On a music front we are quite up to date as well as we are only in early 30's !!! :rolleyes:

Thanks for the advice so far :Thumbup:

Richard Cheeseman

RJC Discos

richard@rjcdiscos.co.uk

Don`t do 18th`s or 21st`s....

Took this booking last year thought i might of been quite in Feb... Came to pack up after the gig and noticed my big bag of cable, extentions had gone, robbed, nicked, pinched, pilthered (SP).

All my spare stuff gone.... The only cable I have now are the ones I used tonight. They were decent cables as-well, vann damm stuff with nutrix etc. All so a sm58 mic, gone ..

As you can see am not happy..Scum bags.

my advice is to use a decent roadie and never leave your gear unattended.

would you leave your car unlocked at a petrol station with several thousands of pounds clearly visible.

i think not.

I actually enjoy the 16 to 25 age group as they are the most appreciative of a Dj who can take them on a musical journey through the years and can play the mixes that they want,

and if they and like what they get you will get more bookings from their friends and future engagements and weddings.

the music is lively and at times hectic and always loud but hey you are only old if you feel that way,

as far as age is concerned a good Dj is capable of reading the audience and getting them to join him or her on the journey what ever age they are,

my kids are in the age range concerned and are intouch with me and the music i play and will both roadie for me and enjoy the evening by adding to the music played.

( ps this young / old Dj is 53 )

David M

David M. djdavid@digitaldiscoservices.com

I have done lots of 18th and 21sts......never had a problem or hassle like you had Steve, I think you was just unlucky.

Sure they get a bit rowdy, but they are just having fun I guess and thats what we are their for.....and to be honest I enjoy 18th and 21sts far more than any other kind of party, so Cheesey......give um a try you might find you really enjoy them :)

My Roadie I use for 18th and 21sts is SIS Licenced and a big fella too, so I dont normally get any trouble LOL

However having fun does not give them the right to help themselves to your gear.

Did you report it to the police, don't suppose its worth it really its not like they will ever catch the sticky fingered little scroats is it.

Edited by NRG Roadshow

!8ths and 21sts Never had any major troubel.

However done a 16th once which was shut down by the police cus there was handbags that spilt out into the street.

Quite enjoyed it as it left me to pack up fully paid with loads of time to head to the pub.

Sometimes in the pursuit of perfection one can get blinded by size.

If you believe you can acheive.

Add life to your days not days to your life.

[/url][/img]

!8ths and 21sts Never had any major troubel.

However done a 16th once which was shut down by the police cus there was handbags that spilt out into the street.

Quite enjoyed it as it left me to pack up fully paid with loads of time to head to the pub.

Guys

Thanks for all your advice on this one as well

It also happens that i am also SIA Licensed and have been for years.... This is also something we make clear on bookings as well.

However we also state that any problems may result in the termination of the event as well.

So im going to see what happens and enjoy the nite and event : :flex:

Richard Cheeseman

RJC Discos

richard@rjcdiscos.co.uk

My Roadie I use for 18th and 21sts is SIS Licenced and a big fella too, so I dont normally get any trouble LOL

Opps I said SIS didnt I.......was getting mixed up with SAS :rolleyes:

Well whatever badge hes got I dont normally get any trouble.....

Wayno - Lay off the Drum and Bass dude, you know what an effect it has on them tongue out icon

Sorry to read that....

We're always 2, which helps.

BUT,

I have something which works should all else fail, and gear etc. goes walkabout.

It's called T&C, and forms an integral part of the contract for the gig! The client is responsible for the behaviour of his guests, and signs his acceptance that breakages, damage, theft (whatever) caused by his/her guests are his economic headache/responsibilty. I always ensure that clients read the various clauses, and point out the possible outfall should the worst happen. Nobody's complained so far, so you might want to go down that route.

I know there are others that have a similar section on their contracts.

Cheers!

Roy B.

Digital Distortion Disco (D3 Entertainments)

See you around!

Hi Roy,

Just on the point of contracts and damages, if something got damaged and you went to the client for money and they refused to pay, what is the next avenue? Small claims court?

How much hassle is this? Could there be problems if there are no witnesses i.e.

You: He damaged my equipment

Client: No I didn't

Hi Roy,

Just on the point of contracts and damages, if something got damaged and you went to the client for money and they refused to pay, what is the next avenue? Small claims court?

How much hassle is this? Could there be problems if there are no witnesses i.e.

You: He damaged my equipment

Client: No I didn't

Or it wasn`t one of my guests that robbed it.

Steve

There is always an element of trust between client and DJ....has to be.

I don't know what its like ooop North, or even in the West Mids, but we would be two, and I know that I can make a compelling case for the defendants m'lud...if it gets that far!

Apart from anything else....I'm a DJ...got the gift of the gab....don't I????

Edited by digitaldistortion

Cheers!

Roy B.

Digital Distortion Disco (D3 Entertainments)

See you around!