Dj's United

Music Licensing - Multiple Rigs

Hi there,

We are currently in the process of migrating to digital and was wondering if anyone could clear up the following points.

We have 4 rigs and are going to purchase a new set of music on CD as the old CDs are damaged due to many years service.

Now the PPL's Digital DJ licence states that the DJ must own a legal copy of the original music file. This is fair enough but as a LTD company do we need to buy 4 sets of CDs or will one original suffice to be copied onto the PCs and have a separate Digital DJ licence for each machine?

Also I am having trouble understanding the MCPS's take on this can anyone offer any advice.

Thanks in advance,

Robbie

All of this is on hold at the moment and there is no definitive Digital DJ licence available.

When (if) everything is finalised and a workable solution found, the likelihood is that each rig will need a set of originals.

the likelihood is that each rig will need a set of originals

If unsure please contact the LWP.

Interestingly, I have asked questions at source how many licences were sold in the first year of the licence introduction, how many have renewed the licence and how many have been checked since introduction. I can not provide an answer here but others may have part or all of the answers!

But being fair, whilst the personal view of a digital dj licence/s may be very different or distinct from one another, I would advise to check at source whether it is still currently on sale or not.

But being fair, whilst the personal view of a digital dj licence/s may be very different or distinct from one another, I would advise to check at source whether it is still currently on sale or not.

And check that it will apply to your situation.

For many the original "Digital DJ Licence" was simply inapproriate and did not cover their type of operation.

If he's working through the night, I'm sure he will pop in and try to explain.

..playing all the hits for you...

....whether you may be....

Why can't I see what i going on???

Yes, overnight tonight.

Robbie, its not actually that easy to give you a proper answer at the moment. I'm sorry.

We have an outstanding question with MCPS (and consequently with PPL) from our lasst meeting regarding almost exactly your situation, ie. a disco company with several employed DJs and all kit and music library supplied by the company to each DJ.

When we asked the question, the initial response was that each individual DJ would have to have a licence for one copy of each track, so if there are 10,000 tracks then a licence that covers that number for each DJ.

BUT, the discussion then descended into more uncertainty as the question was asked about the originals etc., exactly as you have pointed out.

So I'm afraid the answer is not with us yet, although the scenario has been raised and we will get a definitive answer.

Re. the PPL licence, I doubt that you would or should buy it at the moment. We are moments away from having all the detail so would suggest you hang fire for just a bit longer (weeks not months).

Best I can do at the moment, I'm afraid.

Phil Cunnington

Member of the LWP

I would personally hope that if a company has 10 DJs working for them, that the new license stipulates that they must have 10 original sets of CDs.

Or...if the new license is based upon "credits" (a bit like a mobile phone top up card) whereby you "buy" so many credits initially, and each tune/track that you copy onto EACH hard drive uses up a credit. 10 DJs going out would use up the ol' credits 10 times as fast as one DJ going out.

My basis on this is that I've previously seen an agency really milk the December period, and taking work from real DJs, by sending out several rigs, each with a pre-loaded laptop, a selection of long pre-defined playlists, and basically nothing more than a roadie. Apparently, even the "Last Orders" and "Safe Journey Home" announcements were all on the hard drives.

I would personally hope that if a company has 10 DJs working for them, that the new license stipulates that they must have 10 original sets of CDs.

Or...if the new license is based upon "credits" (a bit like a mobile phone top up card) whereby you "buy" so many credits initially, and each tune/track that you copy onto EACH hard drive uses up a credit. 10 DJs going out would use up the ol' credits 10 times as fast as one DJ going out.

My personal view is the same as yours Gary, one DJ = one set of originals + one licence.

I suspect that might be the eventual answer from MCPS.

The clue for me was when MCPS designated it "Sole Trader Licence"

However, I have answered with my LWP hat on and the jury genuinely is out for the moment on this particular scenario.

Phil Cunnington

Member of the LWP

My personal view is the same as yours Gary, one DJ = one set of originals + one licence.

I suspect that might be the eventual answer from MCPS.

The clue for me was when MCPS designated it "Sole Trader Licence"

However, I have answered with my LWP hat on and the jury genuinely is out for the moment on this particular scenario.

Thanks for your feedback on this everyone.

I have no objection to buying the 4 sets of originals I just feel it would be better if there was a licence that allowed me to do this so that if we expand I don't have to have to get a 2nd office just for CD storage!