Dj's United

Is It Getting Easier To Be A Dj?

Hmm.....still not that easy I reckon.

The day somebody invents a disco rig that sets its self up automatically the better, wheel it off your van, into the venue......push the start button and as if by magic your disco rig appears while your chilling out at the bar.....now that would be kewl.

But then Im a tad lazy :)

Hmm.....still not that easy I reckon.

The day somebody invents a disco rig that sets its self up automatically the better, wheel it off your van, into the venue......push the start button and as if by magic your disco rig appears while your chilling out at the bar.....now that would be kewl.

But then Im a tad lazy :)

now thats an idea!

GDK Entertainments

Raising The Standards In Entertainment

M 0783 529 5169

E info@gdkentertainments.co.uk

when you invent it ill buy one, i hate the lumping about, now off to lump it about.

As you may know search engines (particularly Google) rank sites higher if they have other sites linking to them.

For me it isn't how much gear or how expensive it is but how good your music is and your personality.

I rememeber a few years back amd one guy just had a really basic cd setup, basic speakers but it all looked clean and tidy. Lighting was just a set of par cans. The floor was packed all night. The sound was quite good, you could hear what he was saying and he played some great tracks.

For me the best thing to change recently is the smoking ban. For a non smoker I used to get sick and tired of my kit smelling of stale cigarettes the day after.

Finally with all this new technology its getting easier to purchase new tracks on mp3. You can easily set up a search facility for requests, but at the end of the day when you get to the venue and you realise its upstairs you still have to physically hump all that gear up there. Thats the one thing that will not get any easier. Add to the mix the late nights, drunken guests and dodgy electrics, some things will just never change.

• 4 weeks later...

This is a very good thread fellas :mikee:

A lot people have tried and failed simply because the fact that the equipment is cheaper and more accessible, you see complete systems for sale on the likes of fleebay on a weakly basis.

I don't think you have to be fantastic on a mic although the more confident you are does make it a bit more professional.

BUT in other areas such as music choice and the ability to keep things going then that is an art and to a degree you either have it or you don't, a genuine strong interest in music is a huge bonus.

Like I have mentioned many have tried and many have failed miserably as they think its easy money, but in reality its hard graft humping the gear in, setting up for another hour, then entertaining for the next 3-4 hours then packing up again.

That's before you look at can I actually entertain with the music I choose etc. etc.

Yes in simple the equipment may be easier and better for finding track to play faster but that doesn't necessarily make the actual job any easier, if you don't have it then you don't have it simple as :wacko:

The Public were calling me a DJ before I was.

I had a really big interest in music from my Skool days.I had this TRANNY with a little square battery in it and used to press it hard against my ear to listen to the Radio Luxemborg Chart Show (on Tuesday Nights I think) with Peter Powell and Kid Jensen.I use to write all the positions down and check the progress of my fave acts.....Bowie,Stewart,Bolan,Mercury and I'M AFRAID Glitter(before we all hated him).

Now I couple that with the personality that I picked up from my Butlins days and you can count the amount of complaints I have had in 5 years on one hand(except that its too loud....cos i'm going mutton).

But its on a wing and a prayer because equipment wise I am still a novice....I wouldn't know a stereo jack from a mono one or a USB cable from a Scart Lead (exaggeration).

Have seen some of your rigs and its Accrington Stanley versus Chelsea......doesn't bother me.I pride myself that I go very well with the minimum of outlay.So there!!

I have been DJing for 30 years ish.

I started with a vinyl disco and I liked vinyl as we could keep singles in alpabetical order.

The turntables were in a large case and were quite heavy.

I then sold my disco and a few years later bought a CD based system.

I found that I had very few singles so it was hard to keep things in alphabetical order.

I had to try and remember where every single was on my compilation albums, not easy.

I then bought a mp3/4 player and put a full set on that.

This has to be the height of laziness, I just stand back and let the mp3 player do its job.

I do still take the CD player in case of requests that arent on the mp3 playlist.

I think there is much better choice of equipment now than there used to be.

With local shops, online shops and then ebay the choice is vast.

I think you have answered your own question.. Any one can call themselves a DJ there is no recognised standard or licence (Like a driving licence) you can just say im a DJ and hey you are....

"But if you want to do it properly and make money, gain reputation and peform at Weddings etc then it is still a fairly big ladder to climb in terms of time, effort and finances"!

See my point?

The problem is that as you state in the first part of your post everything is easier to get hold of and yes cheaper. Many DJs hide behind lights equipment etc... But IMHO a Pro DJ is much more.

I have seen many DJ's in my time.

In my opinion a good DJ doesnt talk too much but lets people hear the music instead.

I would expect people to know 99% of what I play so it doesnt need any introduction.

I do introduce myself and the disco at the start of the night and offer to play requests.

I saw one DJ who just never shut up even while the music was playing and he just got right up my nose.

I saw another DJ who insisted on singing along to every track !

But he couldnt sing !!!!!

I suppose the classic is the DJ who talks but you cant understand a word coz the sound is so distorted !

I always ask myself "what I would want if I was hiring a disco" and work from there.

Edited by nigelwright7557

In my opinion a good DJ doesnt talk too much but lets people hear the music instead.

I would expect people to know 99% of what I play so it doesnt need any introduction.

I saw one DJ who just never shut up even while the music was playing and he just got right up my nose.

I saw another DJ who insisted on singing along to every track !

But he couldnt sing !!!!!

I

BRAVO BRAVO

First thing I ever learnt at Butlins....Never try and sing over a track.Your customers will perceive that you think you are better than the singer!!

I don't even let the Public sing over.They frequently try and grab the mic at the end when Angels is on....Better than Robbie.....youre having a larf??

• 2 weeks later...

the answer here is simple - yes and no. interesting question with many fors and againsts

funny how things have changed in the DJ game over the years lol

Totally agree with Nik, I look at some of the discussions on here regarding, lighting and equipment and HD controllers and what programs people use etc etc and I'm bewildered lol

Personally I think a fair bit of it is toys for boys and not really necessary lol but each to their own. I have never had a complaint regarding the quality of my sound and I "only" have behringer speakers. I also wonder if this fixation with all things technical influences the price some DJ's charge namely I've just paid x amount for this Denon lah di dah best lump 50 quid onto my price. Each to their own and fair play if you can get it!

I totally agree with the Rev.There's far too much emphasis placed on having the latest and best gear when really it's all down to how you use the gear you've got to a great extent. Ok, a home hi-fi sytem type setup isn't going to cut it but even a fairly basic system can sound decent if you know how to set it up and EQ it.

90 % of the public wouldn't know ( or care in many cases ) if you were using a top of the range Bose system or a cheapie system (won't name any for fear of upsetting the makers!) and as long as the sound is clear, not tinny and the music is danceable then that is surely half the battle.

As stated in previous posts, anyone can stand there and play CD's - some clients will accept this as all a DJ does but many clients want to be entertained and this is the difficult part - actually creating an atmosphere,reading and entertaining the crowd which can only come with experience.

It's easy to be human juke box but being an entertaining DJ is a different ball game altogether IMHO. smile icon

Captain of the good ship 'Andromeda' - a bit of a wreck like meself but at least she will look better with time......

PS. 'Pugwash' rules!!!

Mobile DJ based on the Fylde coast and covering Lancashire & the north west,

playing 60's - present day chart music.

Country / Line Dance events catered for with the best in Modern Country music.

As stated in previous posts, anyone can stand there and play CD's - some clients will accept this as all a DJ does but many clients want to be entertained and this is the difficult part - actually creating an atmosphere,reading and entertaining the crowd which can only come with experience.

It's easy to be human juke box but being an entertaining DJ is a different ball game altogether IMHO. smile icon

Ihope this wasnt directed at me greg tongue out icon :lol:

But yes i totally agree with you all the best equipment is good if you want to look good but doesnt mean you can dj. An ability to read the crownd and play what is needed when it is needed is a skill and thats what makes a dj either the guy that played music or the dj who made the party and yes it will come with experience but there are djs out there who just have the knack and the ear naturally

P.S. i dont mean me ive been djing for blah de blah years and still learn with every gig :lol:

I agree that entertainment should be 'entertaining', but do all mobile DJs define themselves as 'entertainers'?

I'm sure makes and models of equipment are invested in solely because of the quality and reliability, not because of aesthetics!

I agree that entertainment should be 'entertaining', but do all mobile DJs define themselves as 'entertainers'?

I'm sure makes and models of equipment are invested in solely because of the quality and reliability, not because of aesthetics!

I wasn't meant to be taken quite so literally

it was just a way of explaining what i meant about the skills of a good dj and a person who plays music

and djing is a form of entertainment so yes djs should define themselves as entertainers

if they are not entertainers then what are they????????????????????????????

Kids are more tech savvy these days. My dad can't even use a video recorder never mind set up and run a mobile disco whereas kids these days can hack into the Pentagon before they reach puberty so from that angle it's easier. Being a good DJ is and always will be as hard as it ever was. Absolutely anyone can buy equipment from a shop and get some gigs, doesn't make them any good. The age of the internet has made it easier and harder to become a DJ too. Easier in that more people have access to you but harder as they have more access to every other DJ too.

Swings and roundabouts, I'd say it's all pretty much the same.

djs should define themselves as entertainers if they are not entertainers then what are they????????????????????????????

Why don't you make this a new thread subject?

I have been DJing for around 32 years.

I enjoyed using vinyl as it was easy to set up to play as most of what we had was singles in alpabetical order.

When I went on to CD's I found it much harder as most of the CD's were compilations and I had to try and remember where every track was.

When I got into MP3 players I found I could create a playlist of what I expected the audince to like and could just sit back and relax but play the occasional request from CD in between.

As for becoming a DJ there are a lot of companies now selling gear and the choice is immense.

Ihope this wasnt directed at me greg tongue out icon :lol:

But yes i totally agree with you all the best equipment is good if you want to look good but doesnt mean you can dj. An ability to read the crownd and play what is needed when it is needed is a skill and thats what makes a dj either the guy that played music or the dj who made the party and yes it will come with experience but there are djs out there who just have the knack and the ear naturally

P.S. i dont mean me ive been djing for blah de blah years and still learn with every gig :lol:

Nay lad - merely an unfortuate choice of words on my part :aa I was referring to some of the cardboard cut-outs that I've seen over the years - not a seasoned and respected professional like wot you is!!! :D

Of course,a DJ can be too enthusiastic and too chatty....It's finding the right balance depending on the crowd and what is expected of you and we ain't gonna get it right every time....... :ads:

Captain of the good ship 'Andromeda' - a bit of a wreck like meself but at least she will look better with time......

PS. 'Pugwash' rules!!!

Mobile DJ based on the Fylde coast and covering Lancashire & the north west,

playing 60's - present day chart music.

Country / Line Dance events catered for with the best in Modern Country music.

To become a DJ all you need is a wad of cash.

To become a good DJ you need experience or reading an audience and interfacing with the client.

About the best point you have ever made on this forum Nigel :Thumbup:

Nik

i have since spent £100`s or maybe £1000`s on updating the kit,

maybe one day ill be a good dj

Haydn

It is interesting how some people spend a fortune on equipment and carry on doing so, and others make do with what they have.

The first disco I worked for was a home build with a few bits and pieces bought in

I dont recall them ever buying new equipment, just patching up the old gear.

Dont get me wrong, the lights looked great and the disco sounded good too.

They certainly got loads of gigs and in the end expanded to having upto 5 discos out on the same night.

i dont think it matters how you get your music across anymore. If you're still using records, its fair to presume you're quite good at the skill known as mixing, and if you're using a midi controller with a bit of software its fair to presume you know how to use that. either way, the music can be heard...you're an operative if you like...

however, i think you graduate from operative to DJ when....

you can read the audience

you can play the right track and get a positive reaction

you can be entertaining without being obtrusive

you have a knowledge of various environments (weddings, 18ths etc) and know how to handle them

you have product knowledge - you dont have to spend 3k to put on a good show. the right gear isnt the most expensive....(all the gear, no idea and all that)

just out of curiosity, doesnt anyone think knowledge of your kit is important? what if something goes wrong?

couple of teasers for you all to think about...

its 11.30, the party is in full swing, you have 4 dmx controlled scanners, one of the middle two stops working, suddenly you have a dance floor only getting half the light it should be, its looking a little dark, what do you?

your speaker set up, you're using a basic set up, 1 AMP, 2 speakers. Chan 1 on your amp suddenly stops working, what do you do?

during sound check your amp has clipped, but its done this before, so it'll be alright in 10 mins or so...after 10 mins its not alright,you have no power, you're a 30 mile round trip from the spare thats in your garage at home and your gig starts in 30mins. what do you do?

your cross fader on your 5 chan mixer has suddenly stopped working 2 hours into a gig...oh no, you've got 2 turntables, 2 cd decks and a laptop that you need to fade between...what do you do? (and by the way, youve just looked at your track playing and it has less than 90 seconds to run, if yo dont sort it, everythings going to go quiet)

little things that you dont expect to happen, but if they do, they can easily get you struck off someones hire list for a long time.

the ability to think on your feet counts for something. the number of people ive come across who cannot operate their gear correctly is vast! and its worrying considering what they are charging!

• 2 weeks later...

As I'm a newbie to this, I thought I'd add my two pence worth. As a complete novice, attempting to make a start in this field is pretty intimidating. I decided to have a go because I've been to a few parties lately where the dj's were appalling - speakers so loud that the sound distorted and you felt as though your ear drums were about to burst, a severe lack of variety of tunes and about as much atmosphere as outer space. Instead of just whining about it I decided to put my money where my mouth is and have a go.

I certainly don't think it's easy, especially when you see the exceptional standard of experience and expertise of you chaps on here. Yes the equipment maybe more affordable and more readily available, but knowing how to read a crowd and keep them happy is something that only a good knowledge of human nature and experience can bring.

As was discussed on another thread, a dj really does entertain the crowd and a dj can make or break a night, especially if it is a function rather than a regular pub night. I was lucky enough to see Armin van Buuren last week at a club in Birmingham, and while it may be argued that these "super-star dj's" bear little relevance to a wedding dj, he still used the same skills of reading a crowd and watching how they responded to each track, and he took over 3000 people and had them in the palm of his hand - an awesome performance to watch.

I think it may be easy to call yourself a dj, but to be a performer who can lift the atmosphere to a high, and have people up and dancing and going home saying that you made their night is just as hard as it ever was, and I have a huge amount of respect for you guys that do it week in and week out and give people a night to remember.

its 11.30, the party is in full swing, you have 4 dmx controlled scanners, one of the middle two stops working, suddenly you have a dance floor only getting half the light it should be, its looking a little dark, what do you?

Depending on the DMX controller (eg: Could it have dropped into a ""Blackout Scanner 3" mode?) absolutely nothing. Losing 1 scanner out of 4 is only a 25% drop of light output. Without going 'round with a clipboard and questionaire, I'd wager that the only person in the room to notice the fault would be me. The other option, would be t stand tettering on a chair for 2 minutes, wiggling DMX plugs, swapping DMX leads, poking at DIP switches, or trying to replace red hot bulbs, all in-front of an audience who, given the chair prop, might just start to notive that something actually is wrong with scanner 3...why draw their attention to it? I'd fix the scanner either at the end of the night, if the caretaker wasn't a wristwatch tapper, or at home, prior to the next gig.

your speaker set up, you're using a basic set up, 1 AMP, 2 speakers. Chan 1 on your amp suddenly stops working, what do you do?

Assuming that the amp was 4 ohms rated, and that the speakers were 8 ohms each, I'd daisy-chain speaker 1, to speaker 2, then plug EITHER speaker 1 OR speaker 2 into the working amp channel - (All controls down to zero first if poss).

during sound check your amp has clipped, but its done this before, so it'll be alright in 10 mins or so...after 10 mins its not alright,you have no power, you're a 30 mile round trip from the spare thats in your garage at home and your gig starts in 30mins. what do you do?

Briefly check leads, fuses etc - if nothing obvious...Go for the amp - a late start, only missing the first few minutes of the "coming in, taking off coats, getting a drink, and nattering to old firends etc" is better than no start whatsoever,.just standing there all night.

your cross fader on your 5 chan mixer has suddenly stopped working 2 hours into a gig...oh no, you've got 2 turntables, 2 cd decks and a laptop that you need to fade between...what do you do? (and by the way, youve just looked at your track playing and it has less than 90 seconds to run, if yo dont sort it, everythings going to go quiet)

I don't know of any mixers which totally rely on the crossfader. It's there, but its supplimentary to the channel/up faders. I'd just use those.

just out of curiosity, doesnt anyone think knowledge of your kit is important? what if something goes wrong?

couple of teasers for you all to think about...

I always use colour changers along with other effects so it would only happen if they failed too

Switch to the spare amp I always carry

This wouldn't arise. I always carry one, often two spare amps

your cross fader on your 5 chan mixer has suddenly stopped working 2 hours into a gig...oh no, you've got 2 turntables, 2 cd decks and a laptop that you need to fade between...what do you do? (and by the way, youve just looked at your track playing and it has less than 90 seconds to run, if you dont sort it, everythings going to go quiet)

I use 4 channels and never bother with the cross fader. But I do carry a spare mixer.

little things that you dont expect to happen, but if they do, they can easily get you struck off someones hire list for a long time.