Dj's United

Question On Transfering Music To A Laptop

Hi, I don't know if I am missing something, but some people say if possible to not connect to the internet on a laptop you use for djing. So if you use downloads for your music, then you can't get them on your djing laptop. If you have a different PC and download from that then can you transfer the downloads to another laptop? I would of thought that if they have DRM then this would not be possible. I tried transfering a itunes downloaded song from my main PC to a laptop to see if it would work. It transfered to the laptop but then it would not play, as it didn't recognise the program that made it. Is there something I am doing wrong or is this just how it is? Would this work with songs downloaded from other sites or can you get legal non-DRM downloads? Or is there some other way around this problem which I am missing.

Thanks in anticipation of your responses

Are you trying to play the Itunes download in a different program on the laptop (i.e. not Itunes?)

If so it won't work. Two problems with Itunes are the DRM and they are MP4 (AAC format). You could burn the track to a CD and then import it to the laptop.

The idea of not connecting your laptop to the internet is a lot to do with potential virus's which could be downlloaded when the user surfs the net and thus affecting your laptop which is your tool for DJ'ing!

Although music companies are gradually releasing music cheaper and DRM free, I would suggest so as long as you have a good antivirus and anti spam/spyware blocker, you should be able to purchase and buy your music downloaded directly to your laptop.

If you update your muisc player, I'm sure you will be able to download DRM protected music ok.

I'm sure you have a back-up CD player with you in case the laptop plays up, so why not burn your legally purchased DRM music to CDR which I'm sure you would be entitles to do under the rights management, probably up to a few times too! smile icon

You could burn the track to a CD and then import it to the laptop.

Which of course is possible but as DJs who are hired for public functions as well as private, this would be viewed as 'against the law' because we are construed to be changing the music format - for our essential financial gain, not just for personal use!

So yes, the ripping of a tune from CD is not impossible but the minute you are 'caught out' in our ever increasing world of legislation and imposed laws, you'll be regretting the outcome along with the rest!

Forums are perused by all sorts including the media press. Forums invite scrutiny. When the idiot has photographed their dash speeding at 130mph+ and placed it on a forum community, guess how the said poster gets traced and 'caught out' and convicted?! :rolleyes:

DJ forums are perused by individuals from the UK music collection agencies as guests. One or two have actually signed-up to DJU and DO visit, so do take this into consideration when you make a public comment. Use a bit of common, especially if you have contact details (in your sig) if you choose to circumvent what is deemed illegal to do in the UK!

Regarding the itunes issue - go to the itunes website and have a good read of their terms. You can have an itunes player on a few machines under one registered account to play itunes downloaded music, so I don't know what the problem is you're having there?

If you're trying to use a non itunes player, you may/will get problems for sure.

I buy my tunes from itunes. When the bought track is in `purchased` on itunes I then burn it onto a cdr, then I take it to my laptop and trnsfer it into an ots file, then put it into Otsav. Obviously you have to use Otsav to do this.

Steve

5 European cups and 18 leagues, that`s what we call history.

Of course....you could download your music onto a hard drive......then your collection can be hooked up to (potentially) any laptop/PC with the relevant DJ software!!!!!!! (It's what I do!)

As regards any DRM issues...I can't help you there (see Dukesy above)

Edited by digitaldistortion

Cheers!

Roy B.

Digital Distortion Disco (D3 Entertainments)

See you around!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I don't know if I am missing something, but some people say if possible to not connect to the internet on a laptop you use for djing. So if you use downloads for your music, then you can't get them on your djing laptop. If you have a different PC and download from that then can you transfer the downloads to another laptop? I would of thought that if they have DRM then this would not be possible. I tried transfering a itunes downloaded song from my main PC to a laptop to see if it would work. It transfered to the laptop but then it would not play, as it didn't recognise the program that made it. Is there something I am doing wrong or is this just how it is? Would this work with songs downloaded from other sites or can you get legal non-DRM downloads? Or is there some other way around this problem which I am missing.

Thanks in anticipation of your responses

Why would you not connect your laptop to the internet ?

So long as you have anti virus software you should be fine.

Anyone without anti virus software is naive.

Why would you not connect your laptop to the internet ?

So long as you have anti virus software you should be fine.

Anyone without anti virus software is naive.

I'll just put my side to this as a low-level software developer.

I have never connected my dedicated PC to my network. It has a basic WinXP install, and I've removed any extra services.

I've installed VDJ from the install CD and music is on an external USB HD. Windows starts straight into VDJ.

My main PC runs AV software, and the usual security s/w. The network is protected by a good firewall built into the router and no ports are open. Even if a virus found its way onto the USB HD, it would never be run, and would be picked up when I backed up to my main server.

I don't need AV on the DJ machine - its a huge resource hog, and unnecessary. To get a reliable system you need to get as few things running as possible. If there where a decent DJ software for Linux, I'd be using that.

Its not possible for an MP3 to infect a machine with a virus. WMV/WMA or files that can trigger a player to contact a remote website can cause problems- if the PC is online.. The mp3 format doesn't work like that.

If someone is using their DJ PC on a network, then they do need good security. Viruses do span network shares.

However, if they are careful, and their DJ PC is totally dedicated, they do not need AV software.

Jason

Which of course is possible but as DJs who are hired for public functions as well as private, this would be viewed as 'against the law' because we are construed to be changing the music format - for our essential financial gain, not just for personal use!

So yes, the ripping of a tune from CD is not impossible but the minute you are 'caught out' in our ever increasing world of legislation and imposed laws, you'll be regretting the outcome along with the rest!

Forums are perused by all sorts including the media press. Forums invite scrutiny. When the idiot has photographed their dash speeding at 130mph+ and placed it on a forum community, guess how the said poster gets traced and 'caught out' and convicted?! :rolleyes:

DJ forums are perused by individuals from the UK music collection agencies as guests. One or two have actually signed-up to DJU and DO visit, so do take this into consideration when you make a public comment. Use a bit of common, especially if you have contact details (in your sig) if you choose to circumvent what is deemed illegal to do in the UK!

Regarding the itunes issue - go to the itunes website and have a good read of their terms. You can have an itunes player on a few machines under one registered account to play itunes downloaded music, so I don't know what the problem is you're having there?

If you're trying to use a non itunes player, you may/will get problems for sure.

I was referring to Itunes that does allow you under its terms and conditions to burn a track to a CD and change the format to allow you to do it. Even the Itunes software has the facility built in to convert tracks to MP3 if you want. You are allowed to burn up to five copies to a CD and play the track on several (can't remember how may) PC's/Laptops provided they have Itunes installed and are authorised.

Itunes Plus tracks have no DRM and there are less restrictions applying. As long as you are not selling the tracks on, giving away copies or distributing to others by means such as peer to peer networks then you are pretty much free to do with the tracks what you please.

All music on whatever media we purchase is solely for personal use. It is the venues responsibility to have the appropriate licence for public performance so as far as I am aware, my suggestion to burn to a CD and import to the laptop was not suggesting to do anything illegal.

I was referring to Itunes that does allow you under its terms and conditions to burn a track to a CD and change the format to allow you to do it.

All music on whatever media we purchase is solely for personal use....

...my suggestion to burn to a CD and import to the laptop was not suggesting to do anything illegal.

Thanks for adding.

That's why it is always a good idea to be 100% clear in what one refers to and intends to get across as potentially, such advice can be construed to be applicable to everything and to all - i.e. not just applicable to itunes and applicable to everyone!

Like I said "as DJs ...", as in your quotation "...this would be viewed as 'against the law' because we are construed to be changing the music format - for our essential financial gain , not just for personal use!"

• 2 weeks later...

I'll just put my side to this as a low-level software developer.

I have never connected my dedicated PC to my network. It has a basic WinXP install, and I've removed any extra services.

I've installed VDJ from the install CD and music is on an external USB HD. Windows starts straight into VDJ.

Jason

I have developed software since 1985 and have always used the internet on the same PC !

So long as you have anti virus and a firewall you should be OK.

Anyone who doesnt backup their PC data deserves everything they get.

It is absolutely vital you protect your PC properly.

I have seen even CD's and DVD's that have attempted to put a virus on my PC !

These days even a FLASH memory key can pass on viruses.

So its not just the internet that is a threat......

format (non-drm / mp4 etc) is always an issue with transferring music from one source to another and this is the case here.