Dj's United

Behringer Bcd3000 Mic Input Query

Hi,

does anyone here use this USB mixer/controller?

I've brought a new one today, and are surprised that the mic input is a little strange.

They've made the effort to give it a balanced input, but getting the thing to work as expected is a pain.

From what I read, the Mic input runs over Deck A.

From my playing around here, I can verify this - if I click the "Ext In A" button, the Mic can be heard, but Deck A is then Muted...

I can't believe you can't play from Deck A and Deck B, and use the Mic. This means that any voice-overs will have to happen when I'm using Deck B, or totally mute Deck A.

I've upgraded the the current version of the Trackor LE software, the Driver CD was already up to date.

I've previously been using the Hercules MK2, which worked as you would expect - the Mic was independant to the Music channels. (shame about the Cue/Play buttons being not very solid - hence the reason for getting the BCD3000)

I'm loath to get a separate mixer for this - for something so fundamental, I hope I'm missing something!

Jason

I have the BCD3000.....

Nope your not missing anything.......they missed it when they designed it......your quite right the mic input will either override deck A or Deck B......but you cant talk over music while its playing......stupid and annoying but thats how it is.

It never really bothers me as I dont use it as a mixer as such, I also dont use the soundcard contained in the BCD3000........I only use it for controling Traktor 3 and it does that very well.

Thanks for the reply Nick,

hmmm - not good news! I guess my options now are to get a small mixer to allow mic use, or drop it back and get something else..

The nearest pricewise is the "Total Control DJ Software Controller By Numark", but doesn't appear to have a Mic Input.

I'll play today with the software (Using Virtual DJ here, but also have installed Trackor on a laptop), if it otherwise works for me, I'll shell out for a separate mixer.

Thanks for confirming this!

Jason

I loved my BCD3000 but ended up selling it as i had major problems getting the mic working - This was on a Mac, however it is much easier with windows as at least you get some decent software to change the mic inputs.

During my struggles i found a lot of information on the Native Instruments Q&A & Forum website which may help you. Cheers.

oohh

Hi,

I did check out the NI site, not much specific info (but didn't see the forum) - and the Mic is shared with Deck A. I put a support query in to NI, so may get a reply later in the week.

I've also just brought a mixer on Ebay. This will give a bit more redundancy, and I could then use my original CD's in an emergency.

I've spent most of the afternoon mixing, and it is very capable, the build quality is good, and it looks much more like a proper bit of kit.

I've not once had a false start, and once I've selected a track on the PC, I don't need to touch the mouse/keyboard again. Apart from the mic issue, its still very good.

If NI do get back to me with a working fix, I'll post it here.

Thanks,

Jason

Well, just for anyone else who uses one of these (or searches the forum), I've had a reply from Behringer this morning.

The microphone can be used as an external source for DECK A. You're indeed only able to listen to the microphone signals exclusively without having any other signals on Deck A.

You can play music signals from Deck B & put the crossfader in the mid position in order to have microphone & music singals simultaneously.

This was a nice quick response, so Kudos to Behringer for that, but not what I wanted to hear.

Considering the effort gone into the rest of the design, I'm really surprised this slipped through. I'd have preferred them to miss the mic circuit out completely - at least you're not left with a misleading spec..

To use the mic right now, you'd have to be playing music on Deck B, click a button to enable the mic input (which overrides Deck A), do the announcement and remember to disable the mic input. If you need to do an annoucement whilst music is playing on Deck A, you'll totally mute the music..

The good news is that the Traditional mixer* I brought over the weekend works a treat - pipe the output from the BCD3000 into it, plug the mic in, and all works well. I'll keep the Hercules MK2 as a spare- the main drawback on that device being the poor start/cue buttons - but using the mouse is a workable alternative.

*NuMark DM1125 3 channel + 2 x mic for £21 on ebay :-) In *very* good condition, and working well.

Thanks to NRG & stardustsa2008 for their comments!

Jason