Dj's United

Help! Confwuzzled Over Dj Licenses

Currently, I am a Bedroom DJ and looking to start up my own business, but I am so confused as to which licenses etc I need to get, so what I am doing is legal. If somebody could clear this up for me, that would be great.

Currently, I am a Bedroom DJ and looking to start up my own business, but I am so confused as to which licenses etc I need to get, so what I am doing is legal. If somebody could clear this up for me, that would be great.

Ok, you're starting your own business..

What kind of business is this? Just DJ'ing? Will you be working as a mobile DJ or a club DJ (or both).

Will you be setting up events where people pay to get in?

How are you buying/playing your music - eg. buying everything online, playout through a laptop or buying everything on cd playout through a cd player etc. etc.

http://www.djlicence.org.uk/pdffiles/Licensing Royalties.pdf

The above link will give you a grid which shows you the licences currently available and where they are required and by whom.

Let us know the above details and I'll inteerprest the licensing side for you, if you wish.

Phil Cunnington

Member of the LWP

Ok, you're starting your own business..

What kind of business is this? Just DJ'ing? Will you be working as a mobile DJ or a club DJ (or both).

Will you be setting up events where people pay to get in?

How are you buying/playing your music - eg. buying everything online, playout through a laptop or buying everything on cd playout through a cd player etc. etc.

http://www.djlicence.org.uk/pdffiles/Licensing Royalties.pdf

The above link will give you a grid which shows you the licences currently available and where they are required and by whom.

Let us know the above details and I'll inteerprest the licensing side for you, if you wish.

Ok, well since I am only 13, it will just be kids parties, and maybe the odd school disco. I've decided that I am going to be playing MP3s through my laptop.

Ok, that download is a great help. Is there anything else I need to get in the way of licensing or certificates or w/e?

Ok, well since I am only 13, it will just be kids parties, and maybe the odd school disco. I've decided that I am going to be playing MP3s through my laptop.

Ok, that download is a great help. Is there anything else I need to get in the way of licensing or certificates or w/e?

That's about it.

Just remember that a school disco in a school hall would probably require a Mobile DJ Licence for performance purposes.

Phil Cunnington

Member of the LWP

Just remember that a school disco in a school hall would probably require a Mobile DJ Licence for performance purposes.

Since they're likely to use recorded music on other occasions, shouldn't the school have a PRS/PPL licence which would also cover school discos?

PLI is Public Liability Insurance. This covers you should (hopefully never) anybody be hurt at your show and claim it was your fault. They might have knocked into your speakers or tripped over a lead or stand and blamed you. They then think they will get zillions in compensation. Your insurer would have to pay up to whatever you are covered for. Ours is currently £10,000,000.

PAT is portable appliance testing. This is to prove that your kit is safe to use. It's not a legal requirement ........... but, if you haven't got it done and an accident occurs, the insurers might say "No payment as no proof of PAT."

Also, a lot of the better venues (hotels, council venues etc) will not allow you to play in their function rooms without both certificates as it is probably a condition of their insurance cover.

You do not have to hold either legally, but professionally you should, for your own sake as well as the customers.

You want me to play what?

Secretary of NADJ, Member of SEDA

Magic Moments.. making your moment magic

Right. Big question. tongue out icon

Licences.

At the moment you probably won't need a licence yourself. As Steve (spinner) said the schools should have their own in place. Just ask them.

Digital djing currently has no licence as the only one was suspended. Negotiations are on-going for the new one (LWP are working on it with PRS/MCPS/PPL) so just watch the forum for updates.

PAT

Check out local disco shops & electrical repair places. You will need to shop around & compare prices to find one you can afford. Make sure they test cables & extentions too.

PLI

This can be found by searching the forum for recommendations and costs vary. You need a minimum of £5,000,000 cover to work some venues, possibly £10,000,000 in some cases.

PLI is also available by joining an association which can offer members discounted cover. So check out SEDA, NADJ & DJ Associates. The Musicians Union also give you £10,000,000 cover as part of your membership package.

Happy searching, my friend. tongue out icon

You want me to play what?

Secretary of NADJ, Member of SEDA

Magic Moments.. making your moment magic

Re PLI.

Am I right in believing that at the age of 13 he is too young to get PLI as people under the age of 14 are not legally responsible for their debts?

Also as PLI is normally taken out under a credit agreement he would need to be 18 to take out credit.

Jim

• 1 year later...

Sorry to resurect this thread but I thought it would be better then to start another one.

1. What's the current situation on the licences? All the stuff about it I have found on the internet is quite old (a few years old) and I guess things have changed.

2. Which ones do I need to perform with a Laptop using D/L'ed music in Schools, Hotels, Church Halls and Pub's?

Thanks!

James

Sorry to resurect this thread but I thought it would be better then to start another one.

1. What's the current situation on the licences? All the stuff about it I have found on the internet is quite old (a few years old) and I guess things have changed.

2. Which ones do I need to perform with a Laptop using D/L'ed music in Schools, Hotels, Church Halls and Pub's?

Thanks!

James

You shouldn't need a performance licence. That is the responsibility of the venue.

Nor should you need a licence for using legally obtained files, provided that they are downloaded directly to the machine from which they will be played.

I am totally confused. :wacko:

Don't you need to have a licence to do a Disco using a Laptop as opposed to CD's?

If so which one?

Also, I don't really do Disco's in set venues. I tend to advertise that I can do them anywhere. I've yet to get the Laptop. I need to work out the total cost all things considered first before I make a decision.

Sorry if I am being a bit vague but it is confusing looking at PPL's website.

James

There is no 'laptop licence' as far as I'm aware.

Sounds like you have a lot of confusing information. Been speaking to DJs?! :rolleyes:

Briefly, as Spinner says, a performance licence is the responsibility of the venue to purchase / have in place.

But it is your responsibility to ensure it is in place before you perform, especially if it is a public venue / public performance.

If the performance licence is in place (most of the time, it will be) should you choose to use original purchased CDs for DJ'ing - NO LICENCE REQUIRED!!!

But if you rip music to a laptop / HDD from CDs (you must own the CDs!!!!!) then you'll require a DUB LICENCE from the PRO DUB LICENCE division.

The division is set-up on behalf of the PPL/MCPS.

Why? Brief answer, if you create a copy of a purchased CD track, such as a copy of Agadoo or YMCA, then you have broken a copyright law. Most Terms are stated on the CD / CD sleeve.

The DUB Licence is a form of permission to use the copied track/s in a public performance. Of course, the licence covers more than one copied track, but there are other Terms and Conditions to note. Best to read these conditions carefully and ask the provider of the licence about anything you are unsure of.

Checkout my reply to a question in this thread (same forum area by the way).

Let's not forget the need for the DJ and assistants to be CRB checked should there be anyone under 18 at the venue.

I also see on one website that the DJ needs to be conversant with 'Working with Heights' and also 'Noise At Work' regulations.

:wall:

Oh, I see what has happened. When I mean 'perform', I mean run Disco's, DJ'ing.

What I was originally asking was which licence I need (the one you stated as "DUB") to play MP3's on a Laptop instead of using CD Decks and CD's.

I haven't spoken to any DJ's as I am the only one in my whole school and the only other DJ's work for big clubs.

Sorry if this sounds a bit cheeky ,but I think it would be clearer to me if a link was posted to the licence?

Thanks for putting up with me so far! :ouch:

James

Oh, I see what has happened. When I mean 'perform', I mean run Disco's, DJ'ing.

What I was originally asking was which licence I need (the one you stated as "DUB") to play MP3's on a Laptop instead of using CD Decks and CD's.

James

You don't need a licence to play mp3s on a laptop. You do need a licence if your mp3s are dubbed to your laptop from your own CDs. In this case you need a pro-dub licence as mentioned by Dukesy. Do a quick Google for "Pro-Dub" and you'll soon find the website.

If your mp3s are originals, which you paid for and downloaded directly to your laptop, there's no need for a pro-dub licence because you're not dubbing anything.

Edited by spinner

Try as Spinner suggests. smile icon

This forum isn't actually an extended tier of the Pro Dub division. I may be totally wrong, but I do not believe they invest-in, promote, assist or encourage DJ'ing. Others have said they only appear to be interested in collecting money from DJs, and most certainly have not informed that that they link to here.

Look, you say you're at school, so are you under 18?

From what I understand, you cannot (usually be) legally held to a contract you make when you are under 18.

CAB website

I personally think you are wasting your time worrying about something when you've already previously stated / indicated your tops figures here.

For now, it should all be about the music! Immerse your self!

When you are running a business, it should be all about the money! :yes:

Well, I'm at school but I'm 18 :)

I know it's all about the music (and the money!), I have been doing it for 8 fantastic years. I just don't want to be denied permission to DJ if I turn up to do someones party and ruin it all. Also, I hear you can be prosecuted thousands of pounds if you haven't got it for the actual circumstance, which... well... as a student... you get the idea!

So, just one question remains which I think will put this to bed (I hope!).

If I D/L music from my PC, for example using I-Tunes, then move it to my Laptop (which I don't want to connect to the internet) I do not require any licence at all?

Like I said earlier, I want to be 100% clear before being thrown in Jail. ;)

Thanks!

James

So, just one question remains which I think will put this to bed (I hope!).

If I D/L music from my PC, for example using I-Tunes, then move it to my Laptop (which I don't want to connect to the internet) I do not require any licence at all?

James

Strictly speaking you do require the licence if you do that.

Go to the Pro-Dub website where you'll find a list of FAQs as well as detailed descriptions of what you can and can't do.

Hey Forster,

I was in the EXACT same position.... I was very confused at what Licenses and stuff I would need to perform legally.

In the end, I phoned ProDub (Number: 020 7580 5544 ) and spoke to them about it. They were EXTREMELY helpful and advised me on the best course of action.

I have to admit, I opted to the HIGHEST tariff as I run Karaoke as well using mp3+CDG.... but if you are only doing discos for the moment, you may only need the lowest tariff.

After speaking to them again recently, I confirmed that you only need to buy the license ONCE... and then top ups afterwards...

For Example (by the way before anyway contradicts/corrects me, I have double and triple checked this with ProDub) ....

Between now and November 2010 - You only "rip" or "Format-Shift" about 3000 songs, you only need to buy the 5000 song tariff.

The additional 2000 songs will carry over (like minutes on a mobile phone contract) to next year if you need them.

Between November 2010 and November 2011 - You rip 2000 song, and find you need to rip another 60 songs, you can top up your license.

TOPUPS are 1000 tracks at a time... so you get a far amount to play with... and again, these will rollover to the next year.

But your thinking now, what if I dont rip the 2000 tracks between 2010 and 2011... well apparently you are perfectly within your rights to ROLL these over again.

The produb website is : https://www.prsformusic.com/users/musicforp...DubLicence.aspx

If you need any information feel free to contact me.

-------------------------------------------

Web : http://www.alexentertainment.co.uk

Web : http://www.alexskaraoke.co.uk

Phone : 07525 645750 / 0800 612 4979

email : alex@alexentertainment.co.uk

--------------------------------------------

I can use mp3 but DON'T NEED THE LICENCE! :Thumbup:

I have to admit, I opted to the HIGHEST tariff as I run Karaoke

Did Produb explain which karaoke tracks you are permitted to use / have permission to dub?