Dj's United

Help! Confwuzzled Over Dj Licenses

I can use mp3 but DON'T NEED THE LICENCE! :Thumbup:

Are you playing mp3's from source, ie itunes/equivilant downloaded to a player and not shifting whatsoever

Richmond Karaoke & Disco - Professional Mobile Disco Service For North Yorkshire - www.rkdisco.co.uk

Dixons were extremely helpful to my mum and dad when they bought a dvd recorder , shame they dont and never will use the record feature as they have sky plus and dont know the difference between DVD-R DVD+R DVD-RW and cant even figure how to get to the timmer menu on the DVD recorder.

HSBC were very helpful when they sold my mum the improved bank account this gives you free travel insurance as one of its benefits ..shame they never leave the country and go to wales every year.

Often people like to sell you things you dont need if you look very carefully the people selling you the item are NOT ALWAYS the best people to ask.

Did Produb explain which karaoke tracks you are permitted to use / have permission to dub?

I too would be very interested in this as the last time i contacted the ppi they said NO CDG karaoke track was registered with them and that they were in the process of contacting manufacturers.tracks have to be registered with the PPL for the produb to apply its in there terms and conditions.

there terms state

The own terms of the pro dub states “3.3 This Licence only covers the limited copying of Repertoire Works and PPL Sound Recordings as provided for in these terms and conditions. This Licence does not extend to other rights or interests, including without limitation, Musical Works which are not Repertoire Works, Sound Recordings which are not PMSRs or PPL Sound Recordings, films, dramatic works, performers’ rights, moral rights or rights in performances.

no one has told me ANY karaoke tracks that are PMSRs or PPL so therefore the produb doesnt apply to karaoke tracks unless some have been signed up since.

As far as i am aware despite several members saying i am wrong , karaoke tracks are very different.. The licence deal that karaoke manufacturers have is one to make a song in the "style of" once the manufacturers have paid there fee (which some must go to the song writers etc)any subsequent earnings from that new product are theres and theres alone so effectively it is the karaoke manufacturers permission you require to dub not the Pro dub ..

Zoom karaoke and Laughing Gnome have confirmed in emails that they allow me to convert the original CDG to MP3+G as long as i retain the original and don't use the copies and the originals at the same time.

Soundchoice for example categorically have said they don't allow any format shift of there discs so even with a pro dub licence soundchoice could prosecute you.

AlexEntertainment i would be very interested in which specific Karaoke CDG's they have given you permission to dub ..they must have a list right?

this was the email reply i received last year from the PPL

Hello Robert

Apologies for the delay in responding to your enquiry, which has only just been passed to me. No CDG discs are currently registered with PPL and, as you state, this means that the pro-dub licence does not cover any copying or converting of these discs. You are correct that you would need to contact the manufacturers in order to secure their permission. PPL is beginning the process of contacting the manufacturers ourselves with a view to registering the tracks, but for now permission is still required from the manufacturers directly.

Kind regards Mark

Assistant Rights Negotiation Executive

PPL 1 Upper James Street,

London W1F 9DE T +44 (0)20 7534 1261 / F +44 (0)20 7534 1367

www.ppluk.com

it stated that the ppl were looking into registering karaoke tracks so that means the PPL must have to register them for the produb to apply to karaoke tracks or why would they bother trying contacting them to register them?

I think this is a loop hole they did not see , i am not suggesting or promoting evasion of this tax but the legal avoidance of a tax that may not apply in everyone's case .

Edited by Robster
Rob Star Entertainments
Facebook page
landline 0161 265 3421
Mobile: 0777 99 777 26

Dixons were extremely helpful to my mum and dad when they bought a dvd recorder , shame they dont and never will use the record feature as they have sky plus and dont know the difference between DVD-R DVD+R DVD-RW and cant even figure how to get to the timmer menu on the DVD recorder.

HSBC were very helpful when they sold my mum the improved bank account this gives you free travel insurance as one of its benefits ..shame they never leave the country and go to wales every year.

Often people like to sell you things you dont need if you look very carefully the people selling you the item are NOT ALWAYS the best people to ask.

I too would be very interested in this as the last time i contacted the ppi they said NO CDG karaoke track was registered with them and that they were in the process of contacting manufacturers.tracks have to be registered with the PPL for the produb to apply its in there terms and conditions.

there terms state

no one has told me ANY karaoke tracks that are PMSRs or PPL so therefore the produb doesnt apply to karaoke tracks unless some have been signed up since.

As far as i am aware despite several members saying i am wrong , karaoke tracks are very different.. The licence deal that karaoke manufacturers have is one to make a song in the "style of" once the manufacturers have paid there fee (which some must go to the song writers etc)any subsequent earnings from that new product are theres and theres alone so effectively it is the karaoke manufacturers permission you require to dub not the Pro dub ..

Zoom karaoke and Laughing Gnome have confirmed in emails that they allow me to convert the original CDG to MP3+G as long as i retain the original and don't use the copies and the originals at the same time.

Soundchoice for example categorically have said they don't allow any format shift of there discs so even with a pro dub licence soundchoice could prosecute you.

AlexEntertainment i would be very interested in which specific Karaoke CDG's they have given you permission to dub ..they must have a list right?

this was the email reply i received last year from the PPL

it stated that the ppl were looking into registering karaoke tracks so that means the PPL must have to register them for the produb to apply to karaoke tracks or why would they bother trying contacting them to register them?

I think this is a loop hole they did not see , i am not suggesting or promoting evasion of this tax but the legal avoidance of a tax that may not apply in everyone's case .

Am i getting this right? MCPS/PPL are flogging a karaoke licence yet there's nothing to actually licence? So you're basically paying for a piece of paper that might as well be recycled into toilet paper? Pfft!

David

DJ David Graham

Tel: 01204 537716 / 01942 418415

Email: hello@djgraham.co.uk

FB: http://facebook.com/djdavidgraham

Web: [under construction - it really is coming soon :)]

I openly invite replies from produb, PPL MCPS PMSRs on which CDG discs they have registered and they do have the legal right to represent for the conversion from the original format to another format.

point 26 in the produb faq states

26. What should I do if every single recording I will be copying is not owned by a PPL member and/or an MCPS member?

Given the extraordinary breadth of the songs and recordings MCPS and PPL members own, it is highly unlikely that this will be the case. However, if you believe it to be the case, please contact the MCPS Licensing team via the email address info@produb.co.uk. If it is deemed that a licence is still required from either MCPS or PPL in isolation then the options will be discussed with you.

Thats what i did i got a reply from the PPL they said no karaoke tracks and i should contact manufacturers , they have not got back to me with an update.

So i openly ask... so all members of this forum can see , which karaoke tracks for the right to convert the recording from the original CDG?

Edited by Robster
Rob Star Entertainments
Facebook page
landline 0161 265 3421
Mobile: 0777 99 777 26

Something else I noticed, if you want to "top up" its 100 quid for 1,000 tracks - someone ( vokf ? ) mentioned that they emailed out earlier in the year the top up rate - is this the same as in the supposed "open" but "dont distrubute this email" email?

If the licence is extendeable beyond the first year then might as well go for what you eventually will have in terms of number of tracks...

And has anyone been asked for their produb licence yet?

David

DJ David Graham

Tel: 01204 537716 / 01942 418415

Email: hello@djgraham.co.uk

FB: http://facebook.com/djdavidgraham

Web: [under construction - it really is coming soon :)]

Let's not forget the need for the DJ and assistants to be CRB checked should there be anyone under 18 at the venue.

I also see on one website that the DJ needs to be conversant with 'Working with Heights' and also 'Noise At Work' regulations.

:wall:

CRB checks are not required for a DJ unless he / she is working unsupervised. We had a debate relating to this last year. CRB checks would need to be for EACH venue that you work at unless you are / work for a limited company then the company can have all employees checked and can be used at any venue you work at whilst in the employment of that company.

Last year I was asked to produce a test certificate for my winch stands, trussing, clamps and safety wires together with my risk assessment and method statement. This is rare but you will find this the norm in many of the larger London venues.

Professional DJ Since 1983 - Having worked in Clubs, Pubs, Mobile and Radio in the UK and Europe

29 Years Experience and still learning.

And has anyone been asked for their produb licence yet?

David

I was actually asked for it by a Manager/DJ at a club venue earlier this year. Told them I didn't need one as all my music was legit.

End of.

I seem to be asked to produce proof of PLI - more this year than any other.