Dj's United

Hi i was wondering what you thought of people who just use 100% coped cds to dj with as its starting to **** me off as i have always tryed to stay legal with my music yet the club that i dj at every single dj and i mean every single 1 uses 100% copyed cds not 1 original. http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/censored.gif http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/188.gif now im sure some of us will have some questinable songs but not 100 % of your music in fact i consider myself a music collector as well as a dj as im sure a lot of you all do. http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/1106.gif

QUOTE (partychris @ Nov 12 2003, 03:28 PM)
but surely this is the same as people downloading from the net playing MP3's !!! http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/nono.gif

Thats what im saying there whole collection is illegal. which i belive is wrong im not saying that its ok to even get 1 track but i know sometimes people get a hard to find track or remix from certain sources because they can't buy it from anywhere.

Oh dear! Here we go with grey area time again!

Very easy to get worked up about but not nearly so easy to prove!

These DJ's 'could' merely be using copies and leaving their originals at home?

'Could' be making compilations of their CD's for ease of use?

'Could' even be using a laptop with not a CD in sight, but own every single one of the tunes they use?

Furthermore it is down to the individuals conscience, if they are downloaded and burnt to CD (without getting into legality) does it make them a worse DJ??

Were the pirates of the past 'Radio Caroline' etc legal? The answer is no but there was a demand for tunes we wanted to hear and they supplied those tunes!!

I do understand your frustration but if the punters want eg. Blues christmas single NOW are you gonna play the MP3? are you gonna download it and burn it to CD then play it? Or are you gonna wait till December to buy it but be 'legal' even though the radio stations countrywide are playing it??

Its all down to conscience and the individual.

Does it make them a better or worse DJ playing to a crowds demands NO I don't think so IMHO

Spin

Well, I used to get mad about it, now it doesn't bother me, and each to their own, especially where any risk is concerned.

I was discussing this subject with Josh (McCardle) over the weekend, and he asked the question, who is the most stupid? - The 100% CD based D.J for staying legit and happily paying over the odds for the same titles sold cheaper in almost every other European Country and the US or those downloading for free and not greasing the corporate pole?. I must admit, I didn't have an answer to that question http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/wallbash.gif .

Just to had a further edge to the debate...do you think its right for a customer in the UK to pay £19.99 for the same CD Album sold in the US shopping mall for the equivalent of £12.49? - how do you justify that?.

In the good old days, before CD Burners and CDR's it was almost impossible to use pirated material at a disco unless you used a tape deck which was an evil device designed to http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/censored.gif off even the most patience of D.J's. Mini Disc's then hit the shops and a lot of D.J's used this medium for pirating, this has now been replaced by CDR's and who knows what technology will follow next.

I still believe that D.J's play an important role to promoting music and I think that as far as the music industry goes, we get a very raw deal. There are no subsidised or promotional outlets for us! - in fact far fewer than the 12" freebies that used to drop through your letterbox during the 80's http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/thumbup.gif .

The main difference between us and the general CD buying public is that we don't buy titles by choice, we have to spend money on music that we may not choose to listen to personally, this is an added sting in the tail. Hmmm the latest Pop idols no hoper has released a new single - do I spend £3.99 on it on the gamble that it will chart?, or do I borrow it from my 8 year old sister to copy, or download it? that is the question?.

Equally, I spend £30 a month on two certain subscription based CD suppliers who are paid to supply me with new releases which stand more than a good chance of being future top 40 hits...Hmmmmm, the last few months the content of these CD's has been total crap and not worth 10p per track let alone almost £1.50!, and I have yet to see any of the stuff on September / Octobers offerings actually chart! - who exactly is robbing who here??http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/188.gif .

Now slightly http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/offtopic.gif but still relevant:-

"D.J In the Mix" - the free new release download service promoted earlier by Gary. I'm not knocking it whilst it's free but when it becomes subscription based they'll either have to try harder & get some decent stuff or i'm outta there!. After almost having to cough up a lung and leave a pound of flesh as a deposit to prove the fact that I am a D.J ,I finally gained access to what, at first, appeared to be a D.J's paradise and the answer to our prayers.

As anything on DJITM actually charted??, or likely to?, I realise that one or two get the odd play by certain Radio 1 Club D.J's, but I have yet to see anything on there make the general R1 Playlist, enter the UK Club Chart, or heaven forbid - Enter the UK Top 40!. Most of the stuff currently on DJITM is either so far out that you need to be working an underground trance club in London or high season in Ibiza. When I heard that there was a free, but soon to be subscription based service aimed at D.J's, I expected something similar to the DMC service but online where you get access to a new tracks from all genres - Chart, Cheese & Dance rather than Bedroom D.J material http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/smile.gif .

What we really need is legal subscription based access to the general new release pop and mobile material along with a smattering of new dance releases. Anybody got Richard Bransons email??.

QUOTE (Chris_Pointon @ Nov 12 2003, 04:02 PM)
but I have yet to see anything on there make the general R1 Playlist, enter the UK Club Chart, or heaven forbid - Enter the UK Top 40!.

I think solex is now on the playlist but i do totally agree with your point about the service how many of the songs on the dj voted top 20 can you get from them.

spin my point is not people downloading songs for free but downloading there whole collection that bothers me i was trying to be careful with my words and not break the forum rules on downloading stuff if you know what i mean. http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/rolleyes.gif

I do belive we do not get a fair service as dj as regards to getting new music but this was not my point although i see how it is relavent.

I think solex is now on the playlist but i do totally agree with your point about the service how many of the songs on the dj voted top 20 can you get from them.

Yes, Solex is on there, but is, to my knowledge, the only one, and is it directly attributed to DJITM?, or just good marketing?. On the whole I am very disappointed with DJITM and won't be renewing, when it becomes a subscription based service!.

how many of the songs on the dj voted top 20 can you get from them

Yes, I think that this is very misleading and crafty of them, with my immediate thoughts being that the "DJ Top 20" was a sample of the content available when you were accepted for membership. Very few, if any, of the most popular (according to DJITM) tracks displayed on the front page are actually available for download, as a member http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/188.gif .

I think that Spin's point above:-

Furthermore it is down to the individuals conscience, if they are downloaded and burnt to CD (without getting into legality) does it make them a worse DJ??

Is very true. After All, does having a Tax Disc on your car make you a better driver??.

Downloading "Free" music is available to everybody, it isn't a case of one D.J having access to something that no other D.J has. Whether you wish to utilise it or not is upto the individual, their conscience, and the pro's and con's of the risks involved. I don't think that "professionalism" can be judged on whether or not a D.J has 0%, 20% or 100% of his / her music from a free source - whether bought from a market stall or downloaded from P2P, anymore than you can accuse a D.J without PLI being less professional than the next guy with £10m cover.

As Spin / Chris have said - having 100% downloaded music and No PLI doesn't make you a bad D.J, anymore than having £10k of lighting will make you a good one http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/smile.gif

A whole collection on recorded CD's is quite amazing.

There are several areas that can be put to fault on the current situation.

It's almost impossible to police this area, 1000's of clubs and dj's

The easy access of the net and it's vast content of tracks to download.

The lack of promo's to anyone other than the radio stations. In the days when the 7" vynyl single was king, you could if you knew the right contacts and most music label reps couldn't wait to give them away, get hold of a promo copy.

It may be my old age getting on top of me but didn't songs used to be played on the radio for only 1 or 2 weeks before release, now not only is it up to 8 weeks prior to relase, eg White Flag, Dido but the album that the first track of an artist comes from spawns 4, 5 or 6 singles in the case of Daniel Bedingfield.

The massive delay in suff being released from one major country to another, R Kelly's Ignition had been in the American charts for 30 weeks before it had been released here.

Back to the original question, whos wrong or right, who knows ! The honest ones amongst us have to get by as we can. All we can do is push the legit areas for getting hold of the pre/new releases to ensure that they issue them more frequently and cheaper....I must be dreaming...

I am striving to get to a situation which, from the viewpoint of a casual observer/punter, could be viewed as having a large quantity of "copied" CD's.

For me however, the copied CD's would be all of my old vinyls (collected from the last 20+ years at full retail price) transfered onto PC, cleaned up, de-crackled etc,easier to manipulate and burnt (in an order which suits me) to CD.

No exact duplicates of NOW 55 on CDR though, although NOW (thats what I call Music) and NOW 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 and 11 are prime contenders for being moved from the vinyl format on which I bought them.

I keep all my vinyl at home after I've transferred them to CDR.

A person copying their entire music collection from a single source - eg: A mates hard drive, isn't doing them selves any favours, either legally, or (IMO) more importantly, as a DJ. Spending all day, watching Windows icons flutter thousands of files from C: to USB: doesnt download the music knowledge into the would-be DJ at the same time of course.

But, I see a very valid reason for an established DJ to copy everything from their PC to an additional backup, to enable him/her to keep working in the event of some natural disaster eg: Fire, Theft, Flood, Spouse seeing a new handbag/shoe shop http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/scared.gif etc....

Personaly try to keep to originals as much as poss,but am thinking about getting a laptop for the old back catalogue. http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

I will try anything,once!

The Cornish will arise again !

Manager of the Andy Harris Fan Club.

Keep pasties Cornish

I went through a phase of downloading loads and only in the last few months have i realised what a bad effect it has had on the music industry.

You look at singles sales 20/30 years ago. To get a number 1 single you had to sell in the region of 200,000 copies in a week. Now you need to sell 30,000. Why? because everybody is downloading them instead of buying them.

Now i am against lining the pockets of the already rich singers/bands, but some of that money does go back into the industry to help new music. Because there are so few singles sales now, labels are less likely to risk unsigned or new artists. Fair enough, but it is depriving us of loads of good music.

In my opinion there is less and less good new music about these days and it is because of downloading and copying. If there was a way of wiping it out then i would be all for it.

I agree with chris about us djs not being recognised enough though. My only justification for downloading (when i used to) was that by being a dj and playing to crowds of people, the money they lost on me not paying for my copy was easily covered by the people who did pay for it because they heard me play it.

And lastly! On the note of Dj in the mix, i think alot of people have misunderstood what it is about. It was never intended to be a source of music for your average dj. It was started by a dance record label as an easier way to get their music to the mailing list djs. They are there to promote the style of music associated with them, not commercial stuff that you hear on the radio. Obviously they would like their tunes to do well commercially, but the site is aimed at dance djs who play upfront club music and not (please dont take offence here!) mobile/party djs.

Rant over http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif .

Jon.

Just a quick question, does anyone get promos sent to then, i dont mean by subscribing to white disc or promo only. If so any pointers to help other get freebies???

http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

I think Chis comment

"still believe that D.J's play an important role to promoting music and I think that as far as the music industry goes, we get a very raw deal. There are no subsidised or promotional outlets for us! - in fact far fewer than the 12" freebies that used to drop through your letterbox during the 80's!" .......Is the key here!

I fully support ridding the world of large scale piracy...the films and CD's out out boot sales months before launch, poor copies and conmen!

All the DJ's out there are the biggest non-paid promoters around, but are expected to pay for the privedge!

How much material would you want to listen to in your own time?

I don't mind buying the latest Coldplay Album to chill out at home, but the latest S Club 8..........

As a DJ (club or mobile) I believe we should be exempt from copyright laws.

I agree to the "principle" of DJs being excempt from some of the music copyright laws...nice idea.

The only thing is, whats legal criteria would someone have to have to prove themselves to be a DJ, and (in the realms of this suggestion) thereby legally excempt... eg. whats to stop my neighbour or granny or a whole class of Sclub8 fans declaring themselves "DJs" and downloading 10,000 tracks off of the internet and sharing them on a £20 pack of 50 cdr discs, without fear of prosecution?

Possible DJ proof could be a current paying membership to a DJ Association, a recent tax return etc...but certainly, some tangible proof of being a bonifide DJ would be the only way

Im not sure i agree with djs getting music for free.

There are two main reasons that djs get paid so much for only a few hours work. One being the equipment we have to buy is expensive, and secondly the music we have to buy to work.

Obviously it would be nice to not have to pay for music, but how many of you out there would significantly lower the price you charge for a disco if we did get it for free? To us, music is an expense, so if we dont pay for it then we should not charge (the customer) extra for it. I would imagine that the majority of people would continue to charge the same and just end up with a bigger profit margin.

...Blimey! People moan about the cost of a cd - but dont you think that by copying or downloading music you are doing nothing to bring the prices down! I still say that in relation to your fee, the price of a cd is peanuts anyway.

Most know my views about illegal copying/downloads - but let me ask you this.... if you steal £5 are you any less a thief than if you stole £50? Answer - No. CDs are the tools of our trade and as with any professional, you have to have them. I am sure that most of you base your fees taking the cost of buying music into consideration - a cost which is not exorbitant once you have built up your collection.

Yes, it is very tempting to copy discs - just as tempting as it is to buy a snidey tax disc cos it is tons cheaper. But, in the cold light of day, breaking the law is breaking the law - there is no argument you could use in court to justify copying discs if they were all you were using. The judge certainly would not want to hear that tired old excuse of how expensive cds are!

Obviously everyone decides for themselves which path they want to tread... the legal one or the illegal one.....

WE LOVE KAREN, AND IT'S GREAT TO HAVE HER BACK !!!! xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Some interesting comments.

A topic a while back was the amount charged, and if my memory is still working there was considerable differnence with regional variations in the amount that can be charged at an event. So whether you paid well for only a few hours work will depend on your post code.

Music is an expense. I have many compilation CD's, TOTP, Fresh Hits etc, and I have Now 1-55!! The return on investment in music will depend on what part of the country you live. Yes it is an outgoing expense and is the 'core' of what we do, it would be nice to make our money music expenditure go that bit further!

Whether pricing stays the same and profit margins go up is debateable, great next topic???? I belive for the average disco in a community hall or pub every place will have a "nominal" acceptable market price, if you are off this then you and your equipement stay at home! I have not put my fees up in the last 3 years because of this.

Proof of membership of a DJ association is a good idea for copyright exemption.

Maybe one day this forum will be so big that we will be able to do a deal with the record companys so that we can get the music we want direct from hee on a pay per download basis i know this would be a long way off and we would still need proof of being a pro dj but we can dream. http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/thumbup.gif

What a great topic. Ever noticed how every new compilation that is realised is not exactly perfect?, by that I mean that there isn't every track that you need on there which usually means the purchase of another compilation or two compilations to complete your requirement, but of course there is still plenty of room on the previous CD for those track fillers that will never make the top 40 http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/188.gif .

I agree with Chris' earlier comment regarding the rubbish on the so called DJ marketed prerelease compilations, I'm still awaiting for the remix of the Banana Boat song to make the radio playlists.

Kazzachi - what makes dj's any less perfect than the average human being?, the market stalls are swamped with people buying copies of cd's, dvd's playstation games and the like. Ever been to a computer fair lately?, every other trader at these places is selling some form of pirated material. It was found in a mori poll that around 8 out of 10 households have at least one pirated copy of a cd, with more than half of the same statistic having more than half of their entire collection either borrowed and copied or obtained as an mp3 download. Thats a lot of criminals and I think that the building industry is going to do extremely well in the next few years, building all of the prisons to house them in. I also don't think its fair to compare pirating to driving with a dodgy tax disc, using pirated cd material doesn't invalidate your motor insurance for example.

Interesting to read that in the top 5 growth industries in the United States - pirating rates at no4, far higher than tobacco smuggling and just below the drugs industry.

Edited by McCardle

"The voice of the devil is heard in our land"

'War doesn't determine who is right, war determines who is left, and you wont win this war.'

QUOTE (McCardle @ Nov 14 2003, 03:13 PM)
I also don't think its fair to compare pirating to driving with a dodgy tax disc, using pirated cd material doesn't invalidate your motor insurance for example.

A 6 month tax disk is about 90 quid for 6 months, thats not many copyed cds is it a crime is still a crime, i don't think you can tottally justify copying cds by the fact that a lot of people do it and that cds are poor value.

Edited by Dj_Kray

What I don't understand however are the folk, who on previous topics justify their use of P2P media just to download difficult to source tracks, or those that they have failed to find using commercial means. The fact that some dj's may feel they are justified in downloading the odd track illegally doesn't make it any less of a crime than the next guy who may be downloading the entire top 30. Although the punishment metered out if discovered may be less or not worth persuing in the eyes of the authorities, the fact that you are still breaking the law in the first place by downloading is equally valid.

What you fail to miss on each of these topics, is that you continue to compare downloading music with general crime. So why is downloading considered a crime by djs judging other djs and not by the general public. After all, if the mori poll had shown that 8 out of 10 households took part in robbery, rape or drug dealing there would be a public outcry, yet the fact that however you phrase it, 8 out of 10 households are actively breaking the law, some on a daily basis makes it ok?. Surely a crime is a crime?, so why is downloading deemed acceptable and robbery or drug dealing isn't?.

by the fact that a lot of people do it

Not just a LOT of people, the MAJORITY of people http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/sad.gif

Edited by McCardle

"The voice of the devil is heard in our land"

'War doesn't determine who is right, war determines who is left, and you wont win this war.'

you are still breaking the law in the first place by downloading is equally valid

I will stick by my original statements though. Does it make you any less of a DJ of course not! No more than a dodgy tax disc makes you a bad driver!

As I originally stated the legality issue will always raise its head, until it is sorted one way or the other. However copying my vinyl to CD to make it easier to catalogue/use or move to my laptop is an individual decision.

Does it make me a worse DJ by my music being easily catalogued and available? Of course not!

Spin

..the general public dont go out and play their illegal music to hundreds of people do they! We as djs do on the otherhand! ... and get paid for it. My comments regarding snidey tax discs was just a comparison.... ie.. none of us, I hope would buy one - thats illegal..... you are either law abiding or not.... no arguing - some choose to break the law whilst others dont.

WE LOVE KAREN, AND IT'S GREAT TO HAVE HER BACK !!!! xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I used to use P2P software - but for my own personal reasons - I purchase the full sound quality CD's.

Yes, I get fed-up with the rubbish and over repeated tracks used on compilations - but it's been like that for years.

I get fed up with the price of CD's - but I now hunt around more for better deals.

I would rather have a good sound quality mp3 ripped from one of my own discs - than a lesser ripped track downloaded from someone I don't know!!!!

Plus - I have the original for 'backup'.

However, another good reason I buy the 'original' CD's is that I know of a DJ that was 'bubbled' on by his rival - when Mini-Disc came out - and it nearly cost him his home because he played copied tracks on Mini-discs.

I won't go down the road of 'criminal' CD copying - already covered, but I won't be buying anymore crap DVD film rips at the bootsale. I'd rather wait for the official release - even though it's a 'price' rip off!!!!!!!!! http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/smile.gif