Dj's United

Wireless Mic Question

I have a Kam KWM1920 VHF Radio Microphone System

It's rubbish!

Before i purchased it last year i had only used cable mics -

So here are my questions -

Is a UHF signal much better than VHF?

I have seen a few wireless mic systems for around £100 which are UHF, can anyone recommend a system in this price range (max £120)?

And finally, Maplins do a Prosound UHF wirless mic system for £99 - Any thoughts? it's just convenient as the shop is only a mile away!

thanks

STeve

oohh

UHF microphones are normally better the VHF. I was watching some of Phase One's videos on you tube and they were showing this wireless microphone HERE I may even look at purchasing it myself nice little package. Click the demo video to see for youself.

DJ Frankie Knuckles.

I have a Kam KWM1920 VHF Radio Microphone System

It's rubbish!

Before i purchased it last year i had only used cable mics -

So here are my questions -

Is a UHF signal much better than VHF?

I have seen a few wireless mic systems for around £100 which are UHF, can anyone recommend a system in this price range (max £120)?

And finally, Maplins do a Prosound UHF wirless mic system for £99 - Any thoughts? it's just convenient as the shop is only a mile away!

thanks

STeve

i got the Prosound UHF system from Maplins a couple of Months back on special offer £50 they are brilliant for what I use them for and are crystal clear for Karaoke.

Mike

I use the Kam Duel mike system on my karaoke...sounds good on a peavey mixeramp...

As to uhf(ultra high frequency) and Vhf (very High Frequency) that is only the carrier wave to your reciever.It dosent make a fig to the quality

However Vhf is a crowded frequency (taxi's ect) so you can get bleadover.

Uhf is more open so less chance of zed victot one comming over your mike.

I use the vhf system because my karaoke is in a rural village where the men r men and sheep r v worried lol

The quality comes from propper eq amd a good quality head shell n diapragam on your mike.

Hope this helps

Im not sure what the model number of mine are.....

http://www.djstore.com/item/kamkwm1940.htm

The mics look like those but in grey.......but the transmitter box looks more like the one that comes with yous, but with rubber arials not telescopic ones.

Mine is UHF and I have never had any problems with it at all.

I believe its the KWM1930.....but whenever I search for it online, the shops seem to be showing the wrong picture of it.

Thanks for the replies guys,

They will mainly be used for childrens parties where my entertainer will be running around the floor entertaining the little nippers!!

NRG Roadshow - I think you have the next model up from mine, which is UHF and has more solid aerials.

Jamesareback - You got the UHF Prosound for £50!! It is now £100 at Maplin

oohh

NRG Roadshow - I think you have the next model up from mine, which is UHF and has more solid aerials.

Yea well I would recomend these......KAM 1940

Next model up from mine, although I like mine because its 19" rack mountable, although I believe the 1940 comes with extensions to screw onto the sides to make it wider so it will fit in a 19" rack.

No problems at all with mine, well appart from karaoke singers finding it amusing to wander off with the mic and saying things which they find amusing.....

which is a good reason NOT to give cordless mics to Karaoke singers!

I've got the pro sound ones from maplin too, I'd say 80% of the time they're great but every now and then they seem to cut out in mid speach or song even when I'm stood right next to the reciever. Also I get a lot of feedback, especially when kids are singing.

I find the KAM UHF ones are brilliant at feedback rejection, hardly get any at all off mine.

I get a lot of feedback, especially when kids are singing

Possibly because kids sing quietly.....so you wind up the volume a bit so they can be heard?

Simple sollution.....dont let kids on the Karaoke!

Ive got one of the older style AKG WMS40 UHF sets and love it to bits, really good range and no probs from with other radio mics from other clubs and bars on the street...

Quality mics, i use 4 of the lapel ones for general pa hire jobs, superb natural sound.

Sound - 32 Channel System, 2 x RCF 4Pro 6001 & 4 x RCF TTS18A Subs - 6K RMS Active System

Lights - 4 x Martin Mac 250+, 4 x Assorted LED FX, 6 x 1m LED Pixelpar, 2 x 1500 W Strobes, PC Control

Video - 6x4 to 14x10 ft screens & assorted projectors, plasmas, 10 DV Layers, broadcast cameras.

I am amazed at how cheap some of the mics mentioned on here are. I would not use a corded mic for the money stated on here for a radio mic. A reasonable radio mic should be minimum of £200 Again you gets what you pays for. Buy the best you can afford. Make your weakest link as strong as possible. We all talk about reliability and professionalism but using cheaper gear will only decrease the quality of your roadshow.

Just my £200 worth lol tongue out icon

Nik

slightly off topic.

what is the difference between a dynamic mic and a condensor mic?

can both be used for vocals say?

A dynamic mic is your bog standard style mic where a condensor has to be powered to work Sometimes by a little battery or a thing called phantom power via the sound desk. Not all Desks have PP most DJ mixers do not have PP at all...

This is a basic description for you Wendy tongue out icon

Nik

A dynamic mic is your bog standard style mic where a condensor has to be powered to work Sometimes by a little battery or a thing called phantom power via the sound desk. Not all Desks have PP most DJ mixers do not have PP at all...

This is a basic description for you Wendy tongue out icon

Nik

Whatever you do....Dont put 48 volts up a dynamic microphone...they dont like it.Yip 48v is what phantom power is.

I am amazed at how cheap some of the mics mentioned on here are. I would not use a corded mic for the money stated on here for a radio mic. A reasonable radio mic should be minimum of £200 Again you gets what you pays for. Buy the best you can afford. Make your weakest link as strong as possible. We all talk about reliability and professionalism but using cheaper gear will only decrease the quality of your roadshow.

Just my £200 worth lol tongue out icon

Nik

Don't agree with that. Maybe 2 years ago true, but now there is plenty of good mics out there well below £200. Unless you are singing all night, £100 will give you an excellent quality corded mic and a good quality radio mic.

Don't agree with that. Maybe 2 years ago true, but now there is plenty of good mics out there well below £200. Unless you are singing all night, £100 will give you an excellent quality corded mic and a good quality radio mic.

Fair enough... But I always buy the best I can afford not the cheapest I can get away with. Each to there own I guess.

Whatever you do....Dont put 48 volts up a dynamic microphone...they dont like it.Yip 48v is what phantom power is.

Well Im glad you said that.....coz I have phantom power on my desk......never knew what it did......so now I know its always gotta be turned off (which it allways has been) LOL

Not for disco use really. Condenser mics have more dynamic range than what you call Dynamic mics. Thats why recording studios use them and they are used for things like drum over heads and High Hats (Also Drums).

The very top high quality mic's are almost always Condensor style.

As to phantom power if your using a ballanced XLR style mic lead it should do no damage to a dynamic style mic. Some desks have PP on each individual channel others have it globally over the whole desk where you might have a mix of mics and musical equipment. I have used many different desks and never had a problem.

Some info on condensor mics

Nik

Edited by UKHero

i have got phantom power , can i use a condensor mic for vocals as i use an ordinary mic.

any advantages over a dynamic mic?

You can use a condenser mike for vocals ,thats what they are designed for.

Its like having a power mike on a cb radio but the disadvantage is....feedback,they are more sensitive.

Regards Paul