Dj's United

A Tale Of Woe...............

To cheer up the No Smoking fans.

I moved to within 20 yards of my Pub residency after the break up of my second marriage.I did everything for what was a busy functions pub.Birthdays,weddings,Engagements,Funerals,Kidz Parties.

It was not unusual for me to draw 400/450 quid from a weekend from the venue.Now because of the smoking ban its like MFI...all chairs and no-one sat on them.

The gaffer has put it on the market...and nobody gonna book a pub thats for sale (possibly as building land) for a future function.All of the functions I have done have gone remarkably well and in previous years my book would be groaning with bookings for the rest of the year...but now I have just a smattering.

So its either back on the road (have noticed a lot more DJ's advertising their services in my local rag...coincedence??) or jack it.

Can take a balanced view of the smoking ban....members of this site frequently extol the virtues of their nice smelling tackle and the burden that smoking puts on the NHS budget.But TO ME PERSONALLY its been a nightmare.

Non Smoker myself.....still think the drinkers should have had a choice.

To cheer up the No Smoking fans.

I moved to within 20 yards of my Pub residency after the break up of my second marriage.I did everything for what was a busy functions pub.Birthdays,weddings,Engagements,Funerals,Kidz Parties.

Non Smoker myself.....still think the drinkers should have had a choice.

A few pubs and clubs have closed near me.

Its not just smoking but the price of a night out now.

Drink is expensive so a lot of people tank up before going out.

This means people hit the pubs/clubs later.

Perhaps another argument for keeping disco prices down to make them more attractive ?

Worried that you may be reopening a can of worms with your comment re price Nigel.

Also worried that I may be the only one suffering.

Don't worry I have a daytime job (alienates me from half the forum) so you won't see me begging at Wakefield railway station......yet.

I have a couple of mates ooop norf (Barnsley) who own pubs, and they've seen similar downturns in trade, though fortunately not to the level you have.

One of them makes a point of getting his regulars into conversation about why they don't come in as often as before, and he was surprised when most of them told him it WASN'T the smoking ban :huh: because he honestly thought (as most do) that was the main cause.

Although the ban has a slight effect, it's not enough to stop HIS regulars coming in, most people he's spoken to about it have seen a big rise in their day to day living expences, what with mortgage rates so high, petrol so expensive, electricity, council tax, gas, water, etc, etc, everything is rising in cost faster than most people's wages. The "average" punter just doesn't have the spare cash he used to have, to allow him go down the local and enjoy a pint or two as often as he used to any more.

Fortunately, both of them have been able to stay afloat, and get their places back to being reasonably busy again, but they had to work at it and introduce new ideas and attract new customers, others that didn't took the dive, and they got their customers. It's survival of the fittest at the moment where pubs in the Yoo Kay are concerned, some will pull through, others won't.

As for lowering your prices. . . . .

Go wash your mouth out with carbolic soap you filthy creature :yuck:

:D

Leading the way in leaving the UK

Last man out turn off the lights !

Off topic I know but is it just me or does somebody insist on trying to antagonize (sp) the other members with almost every available chance.

It's got that I don't even read some articles if I see they've posted on them.

Come on if you have a problem leave it at home please. smile icon

Educating the young in the ways of the old

Off topic I know but is it just me or does somebody insist on trying to antagonize (sp) the other members with almost every available chance.

It's got that I don't even read some articles if I see they've posted on them.

Come on if you have a problem leave it at home please. smile icon

Pretty sure that wasn't directed at me Spear.

I am encouraging healthy debate on the smoking ban and trying to illustrate how it has affected me in particular!!