Dj's United

Hi there, I am currently using e jay mix station 2.0 and have 2 problems with it:

1: the tracks when played back sound tinny

2: is there a way of recording a whole mix cd and having the gaps inbetween each track so you can select the tracks individually?

I'm not very eloquent in explaining the latter request - but I'll try!

If you have your 'longmix recording' in your PC, you can manually add an ID to the start of each track in Audio editing software, placing the marker exactly where you wish the track to start from.

Effectively, you are re-creating the starts of the tracks, refining exactly where you want the next part of the mix to start from.

Once complete, you can 'burn' the mix to CD. When the CD plays back, the mix will be continuous, allowing you to jump forward and back within the mix to a track point (created) or directly to a track point.

Be mindful of not requiring 2 second gaps in between tracks when you burn the recording.

I'm sure others who do this all the time can phrase better and suggest software such as Sound Forge, Cool Edit / Free / Trial downloadable software.

As for the former request, there are so many possibilities.

Please explain your set-up and the process of your recording / mix

Hi there, I am currently using e jay mix station 2.0 and have 2 problems with it:

1: the tracks when played back sound tinny

2: is there a way of recording a whole mix cd and having the gaps inbetween each track so you can select the tracks individually?

Hi,

not familiar with ejay, so can't comment on features.

If possible, export as WAV, 44.1Khz, 16-Bit - expect a big file (100's of MB), don't export as MP3, especially the mix is a collection of MP3.

-Do the tracks sounds tinny when played back on Windows Media Player/WinAMP etc?

-What bitrate are the MP3's (I did see a previous post, and you indicated these where downloaded MP3s) Lowwer bitrate MP3's don't normally sound tinny though.

-Do MP3's you've ripped from CD's sound tinny?

Regarding separate tracks when burning CD..

You'll either need to take your resulting WAV file (you *are* saving it as a WAV - not re-compressing as MP3?), and split & save each track in a sample editor (Audacity/GoldWave etc etc)

...Or Nero (and probably a few others) allow you to split a long sample into tracks. This also works very well (and is less work)

When burning an audio CD from WAV/MP3, there is normally an option to set the delay between tracks, the default is 2 seconds, set this to 0 to achieve a continuous mix.

Jason

Many thanks guys, much appreciated!!

I will try to answer your question as best I can, I d/l mp3's using Limewire then mix them on the ejay mix station 2.0

Does this mean that I should only be d/l WAV files from Limewire rather than mp3's? or once the file is saved can I convert it to a WAV file?

With regards to the free Audio software do the full say 80mins mix first then go into the Audio software (Goldwave) and set the gaps for 0secs?

I've made a few cd's mostly disco/club stuff however they are all continous as couldn't get the gaps sorted out.

Thanks again

:rolleyes:

Hi,

Aha.. I can see where you are going wrong..

Do not download songs from Limewire (bittorrent etc etc). Big sin. Legal downloads= good, Illegal Downloads = bad. I doubt you've made many friends by admitting to this publicly.

I spent £75 on CD's yesterday, I could have spent that money on other stuff (ie Me/GF/motorbike/beer etc), but

I wanted to fill some gaps in my collection. "dodgy downloads" was one avenue I didn't consider.

"dodgy downloads" are often of poor quality. Missing ID3 tags, and sometimes re-encoded more than once (which is probably causing your tinnyness). From a qualty POV, they are usually rubbish. Possibly ok for listening to in the car.

You either need to find a legal (ie you PAY for the music) download store, or get some original CD's (again, not copied from online downloads), and rip to MP3. I'm sticking with CD's for now.

For anything you're doing, you need 1st generation- if its been messed with, the quality will be shot.

For best qualiy, rip a CD to a WAV, and save the mix as a WAV, burn the WAV to CD.

WAV = Best quality, MP3= can be Good quality, but you don't want to re-save an MP3 as an MP3..

Hope this helps,

Jason

Many thanks guys, much appreciated!!

I will try to answer your question as best I can, I d/l mp3's using Limewire then mix them on the ejay mix station 2.0

Does this mean that I should only be d/l WAV files from Limewire rather than mp3's? or once the file is saved can I convert it to a WAV file?

With regards to the free Audio software do the full say 80mins mix first then go into the Audio software (Goldwave) and set the gaps for 0secs?

I've made a few cd's mostly disco/club stuff however they are all continous as couldn't get the gaps sorted out.

Thanks again

:rolleyes:

Right I think I see your problem is Ejay mix a dL from lime wire???

Re the above....

Whilst the majority of us will have been able to spot the dodgy mistake.......would it not be more politic to have pointed out the error by PM, rather than making it obviously public!

This is a new member, and doesn't really need hanging out to dry. He probably is unaware of the real problem behind what he is doing!

Edited by digitaldistortion

Cheers!

Roy B.

Digital Distortion Disco (D3 Entertainments)

See you around!

AAAAH !! OK I'll come cleany, apologies for mentioning the L/W words, but Jason is 100% spot on as to why the quality is bad!!

I will ditch it and go back to buying CD's, can anyone suggest a decent place that sells 80's club mixes?

My e-jay mix station is original as in bought from shop not d/l from L/W.

As you can see I am still trying to get my head round the techy side of this!!

So if i'm mixing from an original CD I take it i'll need to save the track as an MP3 then drag them accross to use as a mix?

thanks for your assistance with this and sorry for mentioning the L/W words but at least I did learn one thing today that mixing with bad quality mp3's was my problem.

Ok I could be hanging myself here but......

C'mon I'm sure everyones used Illegal download sites at some point??? When you haven't had time to go out and find an obscure track or been skint and needed a few new songs. Or what about to try new software before you go out and spend hard earned cash on something rubbish? I hold my hand up and admit I have done it once or twice although I don't condone it or would recomend anybody doing it.

:blameless: :wall: :hide:

AAAAH !! OK I'll come cleany, apologies for mentioning the L/W words, but Jason is 100% spot on as to why the quality is bad!!

I will ditch it and go back to buying CD's, can anyone suggest a decent place that sells 80's club mixes?

My e-jay mix station is original as in bought from shop not d/l from L/W.

As you can see I am still trying to get my head round the techy side of this!!

So if i'm mixing from an original CD I take it i'll need to save the track as an MP3 then drag them accross to use as a mix?

thanks for your assistance with this and sorry for mentioning the L/W words but at least I did learn one thing today that mixing with bad quality mp3's was my problem.

Hi Matrix,

For mixing (or any kind of editing), you need a high quality source.

So, if you've got lots of HD space, rip your CD's to WAV, otherwise 320Kbps MP3.

Once you've got your mix perfect, you should either export at WAV (if you're burning to CD), or MP3 320Kbps - this depends on how you want to play it. Keeping a copy as WAV will mean you can easily encode to MP3, if you only have MP3, the WAV file will be of lower than optimal quality (which will be fine, but if you then change it to MP3 again, it will sound to sound bad)

This is a pretty standard rule, leave any lossy compression until the final export. Also very true for video and image editing. Imagine re-touching a photo over a few weeks, re-saving as JPG each night. At the end of the edit, you'll see a mess of artifacts.

Regarding your request for 80's mixes (also a child of the 80's here :-) ).. MasterMix etc should have lots of choice, they do have an "Grandmaster Electro 80's" which I can recommend tongue out icon

If you find any good ones, please post.

Jason

Re the above....

Whilst the majority of us will have been able to spot the dodgy mistake.......would it not be more politic to have pointed out the error by PM, rather than making it obviously public!

This is a new member, and doesn't really need hanging out to dry. He probably is unaware of the real problem behind what he is doing!

Hi Roy,

with respect, we are old enough to know what it right and wrong. If this was not pointed out publicly, then new comers may not know (my*) stance on illegal downloads. (*I can't assume we all feel the same!)

I don't think any posts were overboard in condoning the l/w downloading. I've seen fire & brimstone stuff on newsgroups.

There is an underlying technical issue, which was of either poor quality source material, means the end result will be poor.

I think that's addressed, but I would love to hear what Matrix comes up with -being a bit of a closet 80's fan... :Thumbup:

Jason

Thanks Jaon i've had a look on Mastermix, just wanted to ask before I buy anything are the mixes any good? do they come in CD or Vinyl format?

Hi Matrix,

I've not got any experience of the 80's stuff from them - I've a few CD's which I brought a few months ago, but these are more modern stuff.

I've got a 40th birthday party (and 80's theme night) as a booking in November, so will be looking into this in the next few months.

Cheers,

Jason

As for your software matrix, the e jay mix station isnt the best. i would suggest a bit of updating. for a little over £200 you can get numarks total control, djio and Cue LE software - which is more than sufficient for a mobile DJ. the controller has 3 band EQ, individual chan volumes and master volumes for controling your different levels, it also has kill switches (buttons to be exact), loop in/out features and a sampler (yes u can record your own samples) - the full version has even more bells and whistles. and the most attractive feature of it all is that its easy to use! its worth checking out.

Edited by EdBray