Dj's United

Guys,

Am looking to buy a Cortex DMix 300 or 600 and have been playing around with VirtualDJ. As I have a pretty large mp3 collection, I thought I'd sniff around on the web to see if I can find any software that will tag mp3's with there relevant bpm.

Found this link...

http://www.mmartins.com/mmartins/bpmdetect...pmdetection.asp

Does anyone use any of this software? Any experience's good or bad appreciated.

Thanks

Stace :D

Software such as PCDJ will allow you to add the BPM to the track and edit the cue point. I believe OTS can too.

Thanks but I was thinking more of something that will analyze 5,000 mp3's and update the id3 tag with its respective bpm.

MixMeister BPM Analyzer & BPM ProScan will both do this......

..however I have just put a track with a tagged bpm of 86 into VirtualDJ and VDJ rescanned and came back with an updated bpm of 156 ??? Not sure what thats about??

Will have a play and let you know how I get on.

Auto BPM analysis is always somewhat hap hazard, mainly due to different ways in which different programs "listen" to the tracks. Some work on the idea that the beats that they have to count are around 80hz, others will look for beats at a more upper bass almost low midrange sort of frequency. Some programs are fooled by deep, syruppy vocals like the all to common grunts of a male R'n'b vocal, others are fooled by rapid, or unusual drum fill-ins/bridges and/or even some scratching effects (even though scratching tends to plague the higher frequencies rather than bass)

Its quite common for BPM readers to get it wrong "by half" or "by double" - eg: A track which might be known (by you and I and the record company) to be 120 BPM, might show up on a BPM reader as 60, or 120, or 240, where the beats are counted twice, or half.

Best use the BPM read-outs as a guide only, rather than something to be relied upon. Mixing by ear will always win.

"Best use the BPM read-outs as a guide only, rather than something to be relied upon. Mixing by ear will always win."

Fair Point. Thanks

As someone new to this, I thought running the analyzer on my mp3's until I get my kit would give me a bit of a headstart and will help in me learning the 'art' (in terms of similar bpm tracks to mix).

Software such as PCDJ will allow you to add the BPM to the track and edit the cue point. I believe OTS can too.

Yes, PCDJ does offer this facility....However, whenever you refresh the database e.g. after adding new tracks then this data is removed as it is s/w created. The BPM isn't added to the ID3.

Apart from anything else, it analyses in real time (if I remember correctly), so if you point PCDJ at a folder and say analyse...it takes forever!

Cheers!

Roy B.

Digital Distortion Disco (D3 Entertainments)

See you around!

Yes, PCDJ does offer this facility....However, whenever you refresh the database e.g. after adding new tracks then this data is removed as it is s/w created. The BPM isn't added to the ID3.

Apart from anything else, it analyses in real time (if I remember correctly), so if you point PCDJ at a folder and say analyse...it takes forever!

I don't know what version of PCDJ you're using, but have never 'lost' any of the BPM extraction info to individual tracks when updating or refreshing the 'database', and have not read this as a problem experienced by others? :shrug:

If you are using a version of PCDJ FX or later then this may be the case but I can not say 100%. Indeed, you may be able to point to a folder in the later versions of PCDJ to read BPMs, but the most stable version of this particular software I've found was PCDJ PRO EDITION, which allowed me to add multiple tracks to the waitlist and then process those tracks to extract the BPM or Gain.

I do not recall any limit on the number of tracks you can add to the waitlist, but would imagine that adding many thousands (5,000) would obviously take a long, long time to extract the BPM!

Obviously again, the BPM info added to the track will be read by the software written and of course there are no guarantees that the 'BPMs' will be read by third-party DJ software or by later or earlier titles under the same DJ software title range.

Always best to try before you buy - there are trial titles available to download of all sorts of DJ software. One has to find what they are comfortable with and what works for them.

I don't know what version of PCDJ you're using, but have never 'lost' any of the BPM extraction info to individual tracks when updating or refreshing the 'database', and have not read this as a problem experienced by others? :shrug:

If you are using a version of PCDJ FX or later then this may be the case but I can not say 100%. Indeed, you may be able to point to a folder in the later versions of PCDJ to read BPMs, but the most stable version of this particular software I've found was PCDJ PRO EDITION, which allowed me to add multiple tracks to the waitlist and then process those tracks to extract the BPM or Gain.

I do not recall any limit on the number of tracks you can add to the waitlist, but would imagine that adding many thousands (5,000) would obviously take a long, long time to extract the BPM!

Obviously again, the BPM info added to the track will be read by the software written and of course there are no guarantees that the 'BPMs' will be read by third-party DJ software or by later or earlier titles under the same DJ software title range.

Always best to try before you buy - there are trial titles available to download of all sorts of DJ software. One has to find what they are comfortable with and what works for them.

PCDJ FX VRM, and I don't have 'other' third party DJ software on board!

It's not a problem for me personally, I was just replying to earlier posts!

Cheers!

Roy B.

Digital Distortion Disco (D3 Entertainments)

See you around!

PCDJ FX VRM, and I don't have 'other' third party DJ software on board!

It's not a problem for me personally, I was just replying to earlier posts!

LOL!