Dj's United

Buying New Lighting!

Hey!

I'm starting to do my discos again now, and would like to upgrade my lighting. My current rig includes:

Geni Mojo Spinmaster (for sale, PM me for details)

Acme Fiesta (for sale, PM me for details)

Geni XTC

2 Acme Magic Gobos

I've got my eye on some scanners (4 Acme Dynamos) and a "centerpiece" (Acme Impossibled)

However, i'd also like some kind of light that would flood the room with colour... I've been looking at the icolour 4 by Acme, but am unsure whether to go for LED or not.

What would you recommend?

Many Thanks!

Ollie J

Hey!

I'm starting to do my discos again now, and would like to upgrade my lighting. My current rig includes:

Geni Mojo Spinmaster (for sale, PM me for details)

Acme Fiesta (for sale, PM me for details)

Geni XTC

2 Acme Magic Gobos

I've got my eye on some scanners (4 Acme Dynamos) and a "centerpiece" (Acme Impossibled)

However, i'd also like some kind of light that would flood the room with colour... I've been looking at the icolour 4 by Acme, but am unsure whether to go for LED or not.

What would you recommend?

Many Thanks!

Ollie J

the 4 dynamo's and the impossibLED will look quite effective. however, to avoid having too much going on, be sure to position the lights correctly - that last thing you want is hundreds of different sequences on one dance floor. imo, if you can position the dynamo's in such a way that your 2 outers hit a wall each and the 2 centres perhaps the celing (if you DMX them, they will look far more effective) and use the impossibLED for the dance floor. otherwise i think you'll have too much going on.

as for the icolour4. this is a colour wash. its very bright - the icolour 3 & 4 use 500w halogen bulbs. they are very intense and get very very hot. unless you are a band looking a stage filler, id steer clear of this light. its purpose isnt really for discos. if you can go see one working at a local shop you'll see what i mean. i retail the icolour 3 and people dont understand how intense it is untill its turned on and its tanning their faces!

the 4 dynamo's and the impossibLED will look quite effective. however, to avoid having too much going on, be sure to position the lights correctly - that last thing you want is hundreds of different sequences on one dance floor. imo, if you can position the dynamo's in such a way that your 2 outers hit a wall each and the 2 centres perhaps the celing (if you DMX them, they will look far more effective) and use the impossibLED for the dance floor. otherwise i think you'll have too much going on.

as for the icolour4. this is a colour wash. its very bright - the icolour 3 & 4 use 500w halogen bulbs. they are very intense and get very very hot. unless you are a band looking a stage filler, id steer clear of this light. its purpose isnt really for discos. if you can go see one working at a local shop you'll see what i mean. i retail the icolour 3 and people dont understand how intense it is untill its turned on and its tanning their faces!

Hey,

Thanks for the reply! My idea was to spread the 4 scanners out as far as possible on a goalpost then have the impossibled in the center. Thanks for the advice on the icolour, i thought this would be the case!

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Ollie J

Hey,

Thanks for the reply! My idea was to spread the 4 scanners out as far as possible on a goalpost then have the impossibled in the center. Thanks for the advice on the icolour, i thought this would be the case!

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Ollie J

i think you're good with the 4 scanners (make sure u DMX them) and the impossibLED. if you want to add a bit of variety and effect, buy yourself a smoke machine and a laser, something around 60 - 80mW and preferably green or blue. you can pick up a 60mW green laser (by KAM) for around £200, and thats wilth a long lead and controller - worth the investment if you do a few parties for the younger end. the last thing the fossils want is to be wading through smoke to find a green light thats chasing around the room - it'll remind them of the war a little too much!....but its idea for the 16 - 30s.

if you have space on your goalpost, you could mount the fogger and the laser on them. but again, its one for the younger end.

hope that helps

PS. experiment a little. dont be afraid to try something new.you just might drop on a new and coll way of doing things!

If you want lasers then have a look at Purelight.

They do a 60mw green for approx 100 quid and about 70 quid for a 100mw red on Ebay, I think I had mine from EBDJ with free delivery.

They are tiny but the effect is fantastic, something like 40 patterns. I use 2 green and one red and the effect is stunning ;-)

Just as an add on, Ive used mine and 60th birthdays for a bit of Sat Night Fever and everyone loves it not just kids

m.w is a laser power measurement, I think it means milli- watt or millionth of a watt, which doesn't sound a lot but in laser terms even 30mw is hugely powerful!. I think that 30mw of green is roughly the same as 80mw of red, so colour also plays a part too!.

Yes, the higher the figure, the brighter the output but also increases the risk of blinding somebody! :aa

Edited by McCardle

"The voice of the devil is heard in our land"

'War doesn't determine who is right, war determines who is left, and you wont win this war.'

I was told something similar in the respect that a green diode is brighter than a red so you always want a the red to be higher im MW than the green. Mine is 60mw green and 100mw red and the red is still overshadowed by the green but having a two different colours breaks it up.

The 60mw purelight is currently on ebay for 79.99 plus about 12 quid postage. Trust me it will be the best 100 quid you will ever spend.

Mate have the 60mw green for less than 100 quid you wont get a better light trust me.

I've hade mine 18 months and people stand there looking at them with their mouths open lol