Dj's United

Hello new here and to the Dj life tongue out icon . I am thinking in starting up a small business just to make a little. I am currently looking for kit. I will start another topic to ask for some help. I'm 15 so I think that might/will be a problem. But In July I will be 16 what might make life a bit easyer.

Hello and I will prob need help sometime to another so please dont hesitate :(

i started out when i was 17, did a few gigs, then left to become a Paramedic. After 20 years of picking up the pieces and at a grand old age i then returned back to my roots and now deejay full time. One thing that i will say, is that speaking from experience it does help to have a full time career to fall back on, so it is important to concentrate on other careers too, and just do the deejaying as a side line - then you can make the decision about which you want to persue.

Fatherly advice over with, LOL

i don't see your age as been much of a problem, provided you aren't entering a nightclub or other age restricted venue, i assume that you currently have an adult - guardian / parent with you when you are working? so doing private functions in pubs or hotels in function rooms with no actual age restrictions (guests bring much younger children to weddings!) then provided you have a chaperone, then i don't see any problem, and if you look older, then you'll probably never even be asked your age.

What sort of functions are you doing at the moment? - are you planning to venture into the Wedding market?

If you have never done a function such as a wedding reception, then getting advice, and perhaps even watching a more experienced deejay work at a couple of weddings, is a must!. I came back to deejaying after a 20 year break, and it was amazing that i soon discovered that i didn't know as much as i thought i did, and even then, i needed to get more advice and have a refresher with another dj.

perhaps the only hurdle that you will encounter is to persuade a client that you have the experience required to do their function, but everybody has to start somewhere. Either way, it is a good idea to practice your marketing skills, and that means being able to answer questions and speak to clients in a clear, calm, professional manner and to be able to sell your business. Like with any job or career you have to plan on starting at the bottom and then work your way up, so perhaps a good idea to conctrate on doing some parties for teens?, or a school disco or two? - just to build your experience and confidence.

Edited by McCardle

"The voice of the devil is heard in our land"

'War doesn't determine who is right, war determines who is left, and you wont win this war.'

I haven't actually done anything yet just played around with my brothers kit. And because of my exams wont be able to help him when he does his first few gigs. So I am totaly new but have wanted to be a dj for years.

I started when I was 16.... I was lucky (if that`s the right word to use) I had a moped when I was 16 and got knocked off it..

I received about £2.5k in compensation which all went on disco kit as that`s what I wanted to do. Now am 35 and DJ-ing as a full time living..

Steve

5 European cups and 18 leagues, that`s what we call history.

Welcome buddy, I was 12 when I started, now nearly 17 enjoying every minute, such a good industry to be in.

Stephen Owens Entertainments

Office: 01704 897078

Mobile: 0782 8270 854

Web: www.stephen-owens.co.uk

Email: Monkey-business-disco@hotmail.co.uk