Dj's United

From April 2008 the new speed limits for vans over 2000kg Come into force and now are in force.

Single carrageway.....50mph

duel carrageway........60mph

motorways................70mph

read more here http://www.mylocalvanhire.co.uk/vanblog/archives/105

Dont get caught out lads,we pay enough to the government as it is.

Paul

yeah, its already catching a lot of people out. The lack of widespread publicity regarding these changes probably also goes some way to bolstering the belief that its ching ching time for scamera operators or fixed cameras all of which have weight sensors in the road to distinguish between types of vehicle and adjust the threshold accordingly.

"The voice of the devil is heard in our land"

'War doesn't determine who is right, war determines who is left, and you wont win this war.'

From April 2008 the new speed limits for vans over 2000kg Come into force and now are in force.

Single carrageway.....50mph

duel carrageway........60mph

motorways................70mph

read more here http://www.mylocalvanhire.co.uk/vanblog/archives/105

Dont get caught out lads,we pay enough to the government as it is.

Paul

Are you sure this has only just come in? A van driver I know was stopped by the police and told this a couple of years ago and I have stuck to those limits since then.

Are you sure this has only just come in? A van driver I know was stopped by the police and told this a couple of years ago and I have stuck to those limits since then.

Its been around for 3.5tonners for a long time but not even i was aware of this for 2 tonne vans, that should also affect cars then? Im in the police and first ive heard!!

DJ Jenx

www.JenxDisco.co.uk -

Hang on. They are the national speed limits for all vehicles, even when I took my test. The only differnce I know of is the big beasties are limited to 56 MPH.

Edited by mikeee

..playing all the hits for you...

....whether you may be....

Why can't I see what i going on???

The difference is national limits on "Dual Carriageways", up until last year there was no difference between a Dual Carriageway and a motorway, now though vans are limited to 60 on Dual Carriageways but allowed to do 70 on motorways, they used to be able to do 70 on Dual Carriageways.

Jim

Hang on. They are the national speed limits for all vehicles, even when I took my test. The only differnce I know of is the big beasties are limited to 56 MPH.

For cars, national speed limit

Single Carriageway - 60mph

Dual Carriageway - 70mph

Motorway - 70mph

----------------------------

Thanks ... Dave

Wired For Sound Discos

does anybody actually know why the speed limit was adjusted for such vehicles?. Did some Mp's daughter get squished or something?. Thats usually the cause of daft, intrusive or meaningless legislation being brought in, or did the scameras just decide that they'd make everyday driving more of a challenge for white van man?

"The voice of the devil is heard in our land"

'War doesn't determine who is right, war determines who is left, and you wont win this war.'

I had this problem a while back in a HGV. I do the odd day here and there on agency. The speed limit for HGVs on single track roads is now 40 MPH even if signage says 50 or 60 etc.

At 1:45 am on a wednesday morning I got flashed doing 47 by the Belfry Golf Club The road was marked up as 50 MPH so I thought I was with in the limit. Had a clean licence all my life but now have 3 points and had to pay the fine. So heed the warning guys...

Nik

Been their and got caught just like that Nik.....

46mph in a national speed limit I believe I was clocked at.....

Did you realise Nik that most speed cameras are not capable of telling the difference between a HGV and a car.......all they do is point the beam higher so cars pass under it and dont get flashed for being within their speed limit......their are many cameras around the UK which are alligned in this way just to get trucks.....when I passed the camera I knew my limit was 40mph, I new I was passing a camera because I saw it....the thing I presumed wrongly was that the speed would be set at 60mph so I would be perfectly safe at 46mph......how wrong I was.

In addition to this I believe they are now staring to use iteligent cameras which can tell the difference between what vehicle your driving, and will only flash you if your above the prescribed limit for the type of vehicle your driving.

Errr....not true at all.....their has allways been different speed limits for different vehicles, this info allways used to be printed on the back cover of the highway code, not sure if it still is.

HGVs are subject to the following limits.

Motorway - 60mph

Duel Carriageway - 50mph

Single cariageway national speed limit - 40mph

other classes of vehicles such as 7.5 tonners and cars/vans towing trailers all have different speed limits.

Edited by NRG Roadshow

How Cunning, totally unamware of the change! thanks for the heads up!

Sometimes in the pursuit of perfection one can get blinded by size.

If you believe you can acheive.

Add life to your days not days to your life.

[/url][/img]

How Cunning, totally unamware of the change! thanks for the heads up!

Cunning......is that what you call it.......I think maybe one of those n's should be replaced with a "t".......then it would be nearer the mark.

Ok then, does that mean Volvo's and BMW's have a limit of 120 on all roads :ads: :dan+ju: :dan+ju:

..playing all the hits for you...

....whether you may be....

Why can't I see what i going on???

Ok then, does that mean Volvo's and BMW's have a limit of 120 on all roads :ads: :dan+ju: :dan+ju:

Come on Mikee you well know that its an unwritten law that if u own a merc top spec or beamer or are X C.I.D that all roads change into german autobhans with no speed limit. tongue out icon

Talking about intelligent cameras - don't forget that there are cameras out there now that use number plate reading technology between two fixed points.

Camera A scans you, and camera B calculates your average speed between the two. If you have covered the distance too fast, a ticket is being printed even before you get to your destination...

Hi Guys can i just add a dual carrageway is not a dual carrageway unles there is a barrier inbetween if it has only concrete or grass it is classed as a single carrageway

Hope this helps

Peter

They seem to be changing the rules day by day. VOSA are shortly to re-introduce about 20 reasons fo failure regards number plates on the MOT aswell, because any variation in character thickness, fancy fonts or shadow graphics on the plate can cause the anpr cameras to give a false reading. If they keep slowing the traffic down will they then say that congestion has increased and roll out more congestion charges?

They seem to be changing the rules day by day. VOSA are shortly to re-introduce about 20 reasons fo failure regards number plates on the MOT aswell, because any variation in character thickness, fancy fonts or shadow graphics on the plate can cause the anpr cameras to give a false reading. If they keep slowing the traffic down will they then say that congestion has increased and roll out more congestion charges?

I can understand why they want to sort out dodgy number plates.

In my experience on the roads (as a company car driver, motorcyclist, and private driver), most cars/vans with hard-to-read plates are driven by dangerous nutters who should lose their license!

The speed thing is total rubbish. Setting the max to 70 means that cars will mostly do 70 (or more).. So in terrible driving conditions, we've all been overtaken by cars doing 70 when visibility is really bad..

Also, 30 in a built-up area is too fast for most people.

By the same token, a 70Mph limit on an empty motorway at 4am is a little silly.

Jason

Talking about intelligent cameras - don't forget that there are cameras out there now that use number plate reading technology between two fixed points.

Camera A scans you, and camera B calculates your average speed between the two. If you have covered the distance too fast, a ticket is being printed even before you get to your destination...

Anyone know what all the cameras on poles are all over the new bit of the M61 from Leeds to the A1 and on the A1 all the way up to scotch corner (or therabouts). There's loads of them every mile or so and lots of speed sensor pad squares in the road too...

The only A->B type cameras I've seen are the yellow temporary ones in roadworks aimed at oncoming traffic (pointing at the driver). The words "average speed check" are usually plastered under the speed camera signs.

David

DJ David Graham

Tel: 01204 537716 / 01942 418415

Email: hello@djgraham.co.uk

FB: http://facebook.com/djdavidgraham

Web: [under construction - it really is coming soon :)]

Anyone know what all the cameras on poles are all over the new bit of the M61 from Leeds to the A1 and on the A1 all the way up to scotch corner (or therabouts). There's loads of them every mile or so and lots of speed sensor pad squares in the road too...

Hard to tell from the description.....

Their not "Trafficmaster" cameras are they?

They are dotted around all over the place, they are used by trafficmaster to warn of slow moving traffic......so when they say on the radio "we are getting reprts of slow moving traffic on the A361" thats where they get their info from.

The latest Sat navs can also receive this info, warn you of a traffic jam and ask you if you want to avoid the jam.

If they aint trafficmaster cameras then they are probably some kind of speed camera.

Are their speed camera warning signs around?

Hard to tell from the description.....

Their not "Trafficmaster" cameras are they?

They are dotted around all over the place, they are used by trafficmaster to warn of slow moving traffic......so when they say on the radio "we are getting reprts of slow moving traffic on the A361" thats where they get their info from.

The latest Sat navs can also receive this info, warn you of a traffic jam and ask you if you want to avoid the jam.

If they aint trafficmaster cameras then they are probably some kind of speed camera.

Are their speed camera warning signs around?

Nope, no speed camera signs - so they can't be them. I can only think they're some sorta traffic monitoring system - I know on each pole there are two cameras - one is aimed at the oncoming traffic and the other camera (same pole mount) is aimed directly to the carriageway where the speed sensors are... Also these poles appear to be in pairs opposite either side of the carriageway (so thats 2 poles each with 2 cameras on).

Having done that road (M1/A1M) quite a few times in the past couple of years, I've noticed the odd camera has been replaced with a moving one (still two cameras).

On the A1 section the cameras are in smoked-balls, (akin to security cameras in shops), where you can't tell where its pointing! What has big brother got to hide? :unsure:

The normal highways-agency cameras are there as well - these are the single moveable cameras (and some are pointed at really weird places such as fields and a couple were pointing at the sky last week!).

I think Trafficmaster just has speed sensors - mostly mounted on bridges that are slightly rectangular pointing at oncoming traffic. on A-Roads they can be found sometimes on the side of the road on purple poles (at least the ones I've seen).

Something else I spotted the other week when on my way down (and back) to the NADJ show on the M6, around the staffs area - on the pack of the "Variable Message Signs", There appears to be some kind of hidden device wrapped up under a cloth on the back of these - they appeared to be "aimed" at a guess at the traffic moving away from them (i.e. your rear end is captured). Wonder if this is going to be some kind of speed camera system?

David

Edited by gadget

DJ David Graham

Tel: 01204 537716 / 01942 418415

Email: hello@djgraham.co.uk

FB: http://facebook.com/djdavidgraham

Web: [under construction - it really is coming soon :)]

Something else I spotted the other week when on my way down (and back) to the NADJ show on the M6, around the staffs area - on the pack of the "Variable Message Signs", There appears to be some kind of hidden device wrapped up under a cloth on the back of these - they appeared to be "aimed" at a guess at the traffic moving away from them (i.e. your rear end is captured). Wonder if this is going to be some kind of speed camera system?

David

I remember looking at them about a year ago. There was one without a cover and it looked like a little hoist used to get equipment up onto the gantry.

I think they have SPECS on the A1(M), are they on the yellow poles?

Traffic Master sensors are usually on dark blue masts/brackets.

Jim

OT WARNING *******

On the M6 from Stafford up, there are signs about every third of a mile on the side of the motorway about 1 foot square that have numbers on them going up in .5 increments, anybody know what they are?

They have just put them on the M61 too.

Edited by JimBoylan