Dj's United

hey guys

the djing is going really well but im strugling to speak this is not a cofindence thing, its just i dont know what to say. i thought u guys may be able to help me buy postin some 1liners to chuck in inbetween songs

thanks

Personally I only use the mic when necessary to bring the audience up to a particular level, encourage them to get into the party mood, make necessary announcements and give 'Shout Outs' for dedications.

Apart from that if I have nothing relevant to say - I say nothing. Definitely no 'this is, that was' although I do warn dancers when there's going to be a change of genre/big change in BPM.

Here's one I used to use:

me: What a lovely frock, where's it from, love?

(girl replies it's from a designer store etc)

me: Matalan? Yeah, I've heard you can get some nice seconds there..

Hopefully her friends will squeal at this point, if she tries to re-iterate it's designer, just pretend you'd misheard and say 'Bon Marche, lovely' or 'Yeah you can get anything down the market cant you..? or something. The more she protests, the 'worse' you mis-hear.

Bon Marche will mean something to most women, believe me....and when you get the first laugh, there'll be no stopping you!!

But dont take the P if she has a muscular boyfriend...leave it!

Leave the corny jokes out anyway is my advice.....

Cheesy 80s DJs maybe, no place for it in todays society, and I would be inclined to want to rip the DJs head off for making snide comments like that.......just because DJs who "think" they can also be a comedian get on my nerves.

I go with Pauls pholosophy and speak pretty much as he does, if your struggling to think of somthing to say then dont say anything at all.

I think the early introduction is an important announcement.It intros you to the punters and highlights the occasion.I find if you smile when announcing the first intro ppl will find you more approachable.

Good evening ladies and gentlemen,My names ...... and i would like to welcome you to the function tonight,wherin we are celebrating the marrage ect ect.nd finnish off with please give a big hand to.......B & G ect.

Paul

Personally I only use the mic when necessary to bring the audience up to a particular level, encourage them to get into the party mood, make necessary announcements and give 'Shout Outs' for dedications.

Apart from that if I have nothing relevant to say - I say nothing. Definitely no 'this is, that was' although I do warn dancers when there's going to be a change of genre/big change in BPM.

spot on imo...i avoid the whole ''this is, that was'' stuff - its too 'radio DJ'...i also tend to let people know that there is to be a change in music...generally speaking people are pretty in touch with the latest music, which also helps.

Cheesy 80s DJs maybe, no place for it in todays society, and I would be inclined to want to rip the DJs head off for making snide comments like that.......just because DJs who "think" they can also be a comedian get on my nerves.

Some venues actually require this banter as part of the contract...eg chain fun-bars like Flares, Reflex etc..the policy is to 'involve the audience with mickey taking and general cheekiness'. I would say many works parties are like this as well. (They're known as the Hen Party crowd). It's horses for courses! Part of being a DJ (rather than a juke-box operator) is knowing what is apt and when and how to do it, say it, or play it. Working in the industry and seeing both sides of the fence (as DJ/Customer/Venue Operations) I can say that more 'quiet' DJ's are usurped from their posts by 'joking' DJ's than the other way round, at least in the type of event I've mentioned.

I would say that anyone who wants to 'rip off the DJs head' ought not allow themselves into a venue with a DJ..whatever the type of venue..and should perhaps take a minute to examine their priorities in life!

Edited by superstardeejay

I think you are desperately trying to run before you can walk, and become some kind of personality deejay long before you've taken the wrapping off your headphones!. Building up confidence, learning mic technique and becoming a confident deejay comes not only with experience, but with age too!. Start off on the ground floor and slowly work your way up, very few deejays are natural comedians, or stand up comics, and so they avoid trying to be one instead concentrating on entertaining the audience with music, a little bit of chat, and making sure that everybody enjoys themselves as they celebrate with their friends and family.

Above all, a deejay is booked to be a deejay, not Chubby Brown!. If you are doing most family functions such as weddings then satire, insults and black humour probably isn't going to be appreciated in any case, and very few people can actually carry it off. If you are not comfortable with speaking your own one liners, then by reading out other peoples' is not going to sound natural and is going to sound forced, false and scripted, in much the same way as the BBC newsreader reading todays' news from a scrolling autocue.

The best advice i was given, that i'm now going to give you was to just be yourself, nothing more and nothing less. I'm sure that you have the dedication to be a deejay and to play music and entertain people to the best of your ability, without having to resort to false banter with your audience - leave that for the venues where it will be appreciated such as hen parties, stag nights and clubs.

First of all build up your confidence, just by introducing yourself at the start of the night, introducing the odd track, and asking the audience to give you their requests. Don't overdoo the chat, you really don't need to speak between each and every track - just do it when you change era or tempo of the music, and do 'shoutouts' for any requests that you may get. Its also a good idea to use request slips to take requests from your audience, this way you get the persons name, who the request is for, and so you can dedicate it to them. Try and break up the 'that was' / 'this is' method of introducing tracks by dedicated the request to the person who asked for it.

Thats about it, keep it basic at the start, until your experience and confidence grows, and you'll develop a natuaral mic technique and also the ability and experience to know when banter is and isn't appreciated and an instinct of the type of person who won't be offended and will bounce it back.It just takes time and we've all been there.

"The voice of the devil is heard in our land"

'War doesn't determine who is right, war determines who is left, and you wont win this war.'

I can say that more 'quiet' DJ's are usurped from their posts by 'joking' DJ's than the other way round, at least in the type of event I've mentioned.

I would say that anyone who wants to 'rip off the DJs head' ought not allow themselves into a venue with a DJ..whatever the type of venue..and should perhaps take a minute to examine their priorities in life!

Im certainly not a "quiet dj".......I just know when to speak and when not too.....

And if your example of "humour" was anything to go by, you dont even seem to be very good at the comedy banter.......

Comment such as taking the mickey out of people is never funny......and is allways likely to get you into trouble when leaving the venue if said girls boyfreind took offence to what your saying.

You might think your funny, people may laugh out of a mixture of pitance and not knowing what else to do.

Hmmm....not allowing myself into a venue with a DJ.......not at all I just expect a DJ to do the job of a DJ and not try and pretend to be somthing that they are not.

IF and I stress if this kind of banter is done well then it can be quite amusing........maybe you just gave a bad example that dosnt show your comedy abilities in a good light.

Pleaseeeee, tell me thats your sister.... :ads: :rolleyes:

..playing all the hits for you...

....whether you may be....

Why can't I see what i going on???

A throw away line to the bridegroom as the bride walks up. :dan+ju:

..playing all the hits for you...

....whether you may be....

Why can't I see what i going on???

Ahh I get it now......

:lame:

Oh yea one more thing.....

Im not against DJs being entertaining......but most cant do it well, and most would irritate me before long if they try to be funny.

The DJ that loves the sound of thier own voice and thinks the whole room does too just annoys me.....

Before long I would be making hand gestures that are similar too Gareth Hunt in a Nescafe comercial :D

Edited by NRG Roadshow

hmmm...

I think its really is horses for courses , i don't do weddings etc i do pub karaoke..that's me , i don't think i am a comedian , but MY customers want banter. what other crowds want and other venues want i can't say and i can only say what works for me.

i would not try to tell anyone that one way is wrong and another is right because what works for me may not work for you.

I know most of my customers/singers and know how far i can push the humour with each one.

One young lady tried the wrong door to go to the toilet and tried walking into a cupboard by mistake so when i called her up to sing i said if so and so can find her way to the stage and not into a cupboard she will be singing two out of three ain't bad... she loved the joke and so did her friends but i know the girl and knew she would take it in good humour.

i have a karaoke singer who sings one song and then disappears off to another karaoke venue then another then another etc he really does travel about on one night out a proper karaoke chaser. my show is in a town called Denton and a near town is Ashton so i have quipped "here is the legend Dave a great singer he's come straight from his tour of the USA that's the other side of Ashton". makes no sense as its not spelled right but it got a few chuckles i did not plan it just came out with it.

I have had hecklers shouting at there mates as they get up to sing so i have said to them "sorry mate i can compete with your noise i only have this mic and a 1000 watt amp can you keep it down while your mate has the balls to sing" over the mic..but i am a biggish bloke and i knew the guy...i wouldn't recommend put downs until your confident.

I introduce people as Dentons very own Madonna (insert what ever artist)etc.

i praise them when there good AND praise them when they are bad too.

I now am lucky at my venue to have so many singers that i often do not need to play any records at all and ad lib while cueing up the singers and waiting for them to get up this has made me very comfortable over the mic.

as you have read I'm no Richard Prior and i only have mild jokes with my singers i don't really insult them or put them down unless

1 They deserve it and they are bullying me or someone else

2 i know i can get away with it without really upsetting anyone

one karaoke host in our area is known for insulting singers and customers for example i have heard him say

"can you move away from the speakers love your coils interfering with them "..

"This guy should be sponsored by lynx he f in stinks" ..

a old guy walked into his pub with a carrier bag so the kj says ..."f me i didn't know Farm foods was open till 10 on a Sunday" ..poor guy only came in for a quiet pint!

he also will play a laughter track while someone is trying to sing!..he rips every one and everything most of my customers will never go and see him because of it BUT he is packed twice every week ..the venue loves him.

I would never chat like that ... i would not even chat like i do at any other type of gig in fact i would personally keep it down to the minimum of what's required and react to any situation not be proactive.

what i am trying to say is don't worry you will find your own level in time .

Rob

Rob Star Entertainments
Facebook page
landline 0161 265 3421
Mobile: 0777 99 777 26

Interesting....

I tend to do a lot more one liners and things when Im doing Karaoke hosting, I think theirs more call for it at Karaokes than discos.

One night when somebody really bad was on (a freind of mine)......I disapeared to the loos while she was singing, shoved big wads of toilet paper in my ears and came out shouting "is she finished yet, is she finished yet"......the pub erupted with laughter......my mate gave me a slap after but its all good fun aint it LOL

he also will play a laughter track while someone is trying to sing!..he rips every one and everything most of my customers will never go and see him because of it BUT he is packed twice every week ..the venue loves him.

Im absolutely amazed that he hasnt been chucked out one of the windows as yet......thats more than a bit naughty, you should never take the pee out of your singers no matter how bad they are, encourage everyone and praise even when they are cack.

he is packed twice every week ..the venue loves him.

Which is what the DJ is paid for. Beer sales!!

One of my ex colleagues was sacked and replaced by a guy who certainly would make the more rude jokes every night, after a month being there the duty manageress confided in me that he'd trebled takings on the karaoke night! (He's still at the same venue 3 years on).

I chose to leave after I refused a request from the brewery brand manager to make my banter ruder and coarser...its not me.

Weddings and barn dances are another thing as you never get the chance to build up a style or clientele before you're onto the next function..and of course they're hardly suitable for toilet humour.