Dj's United

Hello all, i am new to dj'ing and this web site, bit of a case of all the gear no idea,

I recently purchased two set ups to become a mobile dj, i have a pc with ots software loads of lights and mixer with cd decks amps speakers smoke machine and dare i say it an inflate air men thing.

I have my first freebie booking for a pre school family event (its a charity event was roped in by a parent), which will run for about 4 hours, any advice of things not to do etc.

Sure i will be on here often for advice and helpful hints and tips,

Look forawrd to hearing you views

Was this a bad idea for a first outing :(

:welcome: to DJU.

First bit of advice coming up.

It will obviously be a family orientated gig with lots of youngsters. Make sure you have radio edits and not full-blooded tracks with naughty words left in. Also, if younger children around some really silly stuff, like Music Man, Cha Cha Slide, TV themes go well. Don't forget High School Musical too.

Second bit of advice. If it's daytime don't bother with lights, if later don't over-do them. You won't need to be a mobile nightclub for it.

And third bit, relax and enjoy it. Use the mike if you need to, but don't talk too much, especially if you are not very confident.

You want me to play what?

Secretary of NADJ, Member of SEDA

Magic Moments.. making your moment magic

Hello all, i am new to dj'ing and this web site, bit of a case of all the gear no idea,

I recently purchased two set ups to become a mobile dj, i have a pc with ots software loads of lights and mixer with cd decks amps speakers smoke machine and dare i say it an inflate air men thing.

I have my first freebie booking for a pre school family event (its a charity event was roped in by a parent), which will run for about 4 hours, any advice of things not to do etc.

Welcome to the forum.

This thread is a good place to start for tips and advice including Useful Links For Dj's

The DJU Knowledgebase is here.

Have fun.

It will obviously be a family orientated gig with lots of youngsters. Make sure you have radio edits and not full-blooded tracks with naughty words left in. Also, if younger children around some really silly stuff, like Music Man, Cha Cha Slide, TV themes go well. Don't forget High School Musical too.

Second bit of advice. If it's daytime don't bother with lights, if later don't over-do them. You won't need to be a mobile nightclub for it.

And third bit, relax and enjoy it. Use the mike if you need to, but don't talk too much, especially if you are not very confident.

Thanks for the above advice i have checked the radio edits and all appear suitable, got loads tv themes and lots of balck lace and similar type music but had completly forgot high school musical :aa so luckily have got time to go and get it :D .

Thanks again to everyone for there advice and for making me feel welcome i will ofcourse lt you know how it goes good or bad.

Welcome to the forum

:welcome:

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have completed my first gig, it was all going fantastic except only having 35 mins to set up, but it was going great then disaster struck (well thats probably over exagerated) the entire power went down, :damn: Then i was informed the hall has a sensor which if the music is too loud shuts everything off, quickly all the lights were back on and three minutes later so was the music. it was a good couple of hours and the pre school appreciated it loads.

Thanks again for all the advise :thanks:

Well done for your first gig

don't worry about mistakes we all make them and between all the djs here we have probably covered every one that could be made

the best bit of advice i could give you is just enjoy yourself and watch and listen to the customers

good luck for the future

Edited by jukeboxdj

Welcome to the forums and well done on your first of many gigs.

What was the venue, it's worth letting us know as we like to know whhich ones use sound limiters.

Did it not have traffic lights in the corner of the room, or did you think they were just extra disco lights LOL

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to the forums and well done on your first of many gigs.

What was the venue, it's worth letting us know as we like to know whhich ones use sound limiters.

Did it not have traffic lights in the corner of the room, or did you think they were just extra disco lights LOL

Jim

Venue was the plantation hall colchester road heybridge, yes it did have the small traffic light bit but sadly did not notice these as was busy setting up as only given half hour to set up, but if i am honest would not have known what it was as first gig, but also thought it would be during certain hours sadly this one works 24/7 but i suppose atleast i learnt about this now, music break was about 3 mins, Lesson Learnt well atleast i hope :thanks: