Dj's United

A Bit Of Help With Wiring Please

Hello again all, my cousin has go 2 subs and 2 tops run by 2 amp and a x-over, setting up is no problem.

tonight he's got a 14th birthday in a small hall, so he's only wanting to take 1 sub, now the question is.... can this be wired up as normal? I wasn't sure if it would damage the amp just running one side all night.

Any help is much appreciated. :Thumbup:

Edited by Partyprint

Hello again all, my cousin has go 2 subs and 2 tops run by 2 amp and a x-over, setting up is no problem.

tonight he's got a 14th birthday in a small hall, so he's only wanting to take 1 sub, now the question is.... can this be wired up as normal? I wasn't sure if it would damage the amp just running one side all night.

Any help is much appreciated. :Thumbup:

I have done this before with the amp switched to mono. The side that didn't have anything connected to it, I set the gain level to the absolute minimum.

Not sure he can switch the amp to mono, but I'll check thanks very much

Only reason I switched it to mono was because I had nowhere else to to switch the signal to mono so it might of sounded a bit weird only playing one side of the stereo.

If he has a summed mono output from a crossover or EQ then that would be a better option.

If the bass bin can handle the power and the amplifier has the option of a bridged output, then that would be the best option.

Do not run an amp with one speaker unplugged it can damage your amp if you have a bridged out put yuou can switch it to bridge then use the bridge out put otherwise you will need to use 2 speackers or risk damaged output stage in your amp

Hope this helps

Peter

Do not run an amp with one speaker unplugged it can damage your amp if you have a bridged out put yuou can switch it to bridge then use the bridge out put otherwise you will need to use 2 speackers or risk damaged output stage in your amp

Hope this helps

Peter

And how does it cause damage if there is no signal input and the gain control is set to minimum? Its is much the same as having the amp turned on with no sound going through it.

As I said, I have done it and it hasn't caused any damage.

And how does it cause damage if there is no signal input and the gain control is set to minimum? Its is much the same as having the amp turned on with no sound going through it.

As I said, I have done it and it hasn't caused any damage.

Depends on the amp but the ohms/ Impedance is designed to be between 2 to 8 ohms weather there is any gain on it or not if there is nothing connected it is open circuit so this what can cause damage

Peter

Modern solid state amps are fine running unloaded whether or not there's a signal present. SO go right ahead and just use one channel for a single bin.

The running unloaded thing relates to valve driven amps eg guitar amps.