Dj's United

Who Promotes Music The Most...?

From the following choice...  

132 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Who promotes music the most for the record industry from the two poll choices in your opinion?

This is a slightly "loaded" question as probably 1% of mobiles "promote" new music and from what I've been told about the club scene, slightly under 50% "promote" new music. It has to be Radio and teenie web sites, and in my daughters case Word Of Mouth.

..playing all the hits for you...

....whether you may be....

Why can't I see what i going on???

I read it as 'of these 2 who promotes music the most' or 'who promotes music more from these 2 options'.

If radio & internet options were added then these would obviously be the ones which received the most votes but the way I understand it this is not what the poll is about - Dan?

out of the 2 options i voted club,as a mobile dj the new music we play is normally already in the charts or as been requested which would indicate people are hearing them from somewhere else. but radio and mtv will be the most active in this imo

I voted mobile.

Clubs may play more upfront, new music...but unless the DJ actually mentions what that 4 minutes of lyricless, tuneless, repeatitive, sounds-like-most-other-tunes-in-this-genre-this-season, ear-violation was actually called (this month), and which artist is attributing their name to it...then promoting the track isn't actually happening.

Either the mic or a video screen is going to be needed to needed to actually promote a tune.

Edited by Gary

Have to agree with Gary re: club djs not actually "promoting" music, just playing it.

As for mobile, I have lost count of the times i have been asked for details of older tracks, who is it?, what cd is it on?

I think I have possibly promoted more (older) tracks than the local club DJ.

Edited by robbiedj

You want me to play what?

Secretary of NADJ, Member of SEDA

Magic Moments.. making your moment magic

i voted mobile

as a mobile dj i always keep an eye on what is being released soon in the uk and also keep an eye on the us charts

a good example of this was high school musical was in the charts in the us a year before they got over here

but all the kids in the schools i dj knew all about it due to my promotion of it .. tongue out icon

Personally I don't consider myself as a promoter of music. I play tracks most people are already familiar with and am therefore using those tracks to make a living rather than persuading people to go out and buy them.

Anyway I voted Club DJ because when I worked in the clubs we did play new/pre-releases and I suspect this is still the case.

I voted club for much the same reason as Paul.

But voted on the basis of promoting new tracks that made people go out and buy it.

Having looked at the definition of promote though viz:

Definition of promote: contribute to the progress or growth of

there are other ways that we contribute to the progress or growth of the music industry e.g. by buying music.

In that case it would depend how many Club DJ's compared to Mobile DJ's and how many each bought.

Just out of interest, when you buy a 79p track from Itunes, the revenue is split:

Writer/publisher 6p

Performer 6-8p

Visa/Mastercard 7p

Apple 12p

Record Company almost 50p

Source from Tom Robinsons website http://www.tomrobinson.com/records/music/index.htm who would rather give his work away than line other peoples pockets smile icon

just wondering how mobile dj's get hold of new music to premote it ? to leagally get a track i have to wait till its released and am wondering if im missing a trick to recieve music pre-release like radio stations ?

There are subscription CD services and DVD music video services where monthly releases / advanced music track releases are available.

Check out

CD Pool

Mixmash

Mastermix Pro-Disc

I voted club

Each month i take one Sat night off & go to a club with my mates, if there is anything i hear that i like or know is gonna be big (you know that feeling) i would have no problem asking the d.j or checking out the club chart listings

Over the years i have learn't more from other d.js than taught myself after all we all get good idea's off this forum

I voted club

Each month i take one Sat night off & go to a club with my mates, if there is anything i hear that i like or know is gonna be big (you know that feeling) i would have no problem asking the d.j or checking out the club chart listings

Over the years i have learn't more from other d.js than taught myself after all we all get good idea's off this forum

On the now rare occasions that I go out round town and then into a club, the following day I have trouble remembering where I went, never mind what tracks were played :joe: .

Jim

There are subscription CD services and DVD music video services where monthly releases / advanced music track releases are available.

Check out

CD Pool

Mixmash

Mastermix Pro-Disc

cheers ! i do but the mastermix - pro disc stuff i'll check out the rest there is nothing worse than trying to explain that the song the person is looking for and have been hearing for the last month on the music channels and in my case cool fm ! isnt on general release and i cant buy it yet to which the answer usually is well i have it on my computer in the house and on my phone !!! :lil devil:

• 4 weeks later...

I'd have to say club, a lot of club DJs get sent promo material to review / play and then send feedback to record companies about - i did this for a couple of years, but found it quite infuriating as most of the stuff that came through from these compnaies were records that had been big 6/12 months prior on a smaller / white label, where then taken on by a bigger label and then re-releases so 8 times out of 10 the promo material that was sent wasn't even that recent

Club

I do private parties, weddings etc so the majority of people what a mix of everything.

The only way I keep up to date is by checking the radio one playlist every week as literally everything on their will chart a month or so later

• 4 weeks later...

whenever sombody votes, the topic gets bumped. This way, new members get a chance to add their votes.

"The voice of the devil is heard in our land"

'War doesn't determine who is right, war determines who is left, and you wont win this war.'

Well you will be glad to know that yesterday, well the day before, according to the BBC news report, Radio is still the leader, and if you think about it, it's quite true - Club DJ's play the Boom Boom. Mobile's (apprently) play ABBA, so Radio is leading the field - Probably because they can't see people walking off the dance floor :rolleyes:

..playing all the hits for you...

....whether you may be....

Why can't I see what i going on???

Well you will be glad to know that yesterday, well the day before, according to the BBC news report, Radio is still the leader, and if you think about it, it's quite true - Club DJ's play the Boom Boom. Mobile's (apprently) play ABBA, so Radio is leading the field - Probably because they can't see people walking off the dance floor :rolleyes:

I think this is only because of the potential size of the audience... Many local radio stations have a very small rotation of tunes per day.. Infact If I do a double shift the same tunes tend to come round.

Nik

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mikee .... Long time no speak, except for the funnies you keep sending :)

I voted club.

We have a crew that regularly hit the club slots and we use the promo stuff that drops through the letter box. Some of its dross but there are occasionally a few good ones.

I would describe us as upbeat wedding bashers and most of our crowds are of the alternative style and prefer to avoid the party cheese.

• 2 weeks later...

Who promotes music the most for the record industry from the two poll choices in your opinion?

i would have to say club djs, because for me i feel the music more in a club and sort of understand it a bit more.

DV Entertainment

35 Hollyford, Billericay, Essex, CM11 1EG

Of the two, it has to be club DJs.

Mobiles, in the main, play oldies or current chart material; Very rarely do we play pre-release stuff and announce it as such by way of advertising.

But I don't think either are of any real importance promotion-wise.

• 4 weeks later...