Dj's United

at a communion today had everything set up and ready to go then noticed laptop not working. After investigating found the port that you put the mains lead into was broken. The metal spike in the laptop that the mains lead slips into had broken off and was in the mains plug. so can this be fixed, i feel if i take this to a computer shop that i will be told it will be a write off. Has anyone had a problem like this who could offer advice.

thanks keith

at a communion today had everything set up and ready to go then noticed laptop not working. After investigating found the port that you put the mains lead into was broken. The metal spike in the laptop that the mains lead slips into had broken off and was in the mains plug. so can this be fixed, i feel if i take this to a computer shop that i will be told it will be a write off. Has anyone had a problem like this who could offer advice.

thanks keith

at our place we can fix such a problem by soldering you some new plugs and sockets on your leads/pcb. however, very few places can offer this 'cheap' solution. they will simply write the power supply off and insist you buy a new one, which i presume is 19v and around 3A? which will set you back around £40 - £80 depend what you buy and where you buy it.

so in a nutshell, if you can find anyone who offers such an electronics service, all well and good, otherwise, be prepared to be ripped off.

hth

Why buy a new PSU, the problem is the DC socket on his laptop that the pin has broken off.

Most sockets are readily available at a couple of quid, however it is a major strip down to replace it.

There is a company on eBay ("laptopsandspares" www.laptopsandspares.com) that sell the sockets, they will also do the repair for you but I think they charge about £50 for that.

Jim

Edited by JimBoylan

Why buy a new PSU, the problem is the DC socket on his laptop that the pin has broken off.

Most sockets are readily available at a couple of quid, however it is a major strip down to replace it.

There is a company on eBay ("laptopsandspares" www.laptopsandspares.com) that sell the sockets, they will also do the repair for you but I think they charge about £50 for that.

Jim

cheers jim,

yes it is the pin on the laptop socket,I'll check out that website.

keith

cheers jim,

yes it is the pin on the laptop socket,I'll check out that website.

keith

got a price from their website phone number it is £91 including delivery.