Dj's United

hi everyone. just wanted to know what i tell people about experience in mobile djing.

most people advertise the fact that they have so many years experience, but if asked by the client about how long ive been a mobile dj, and i say ive just started up, would this put them off??

ive got loads of xp with using the equipment and playing at house parties over the years, but never played to the public and done it as a profesion. ive been told to not let them know im new to mobile disco but if i am asked i would prefer not to lie to a potential customer. any advice would be great. thanks people.................

kev. :djuhi:

I think you are right not to lie/make up experience. If you start off by doing a few gigs for friends & relatives who already know your position then this wouldn't arise. And of course during this time you are building up experience.

Welcome to DJU smile icon

hi everyone. just wanted to know what i tell people about experience in mobile djing.

most people advertise the fact that they have so many years experience, but if asked by the client about how long ive been a mobile dj, and i say ive just started up, would this put them off??

ive got loads of xp with using the equipment and playing at house parties over the years, but never played to the public and done it as a profesion. ive been told to not let them know im new to mobile disco but if i am asked i would prefer not to lie to a potential customer. any advice would be great. thanks people.................

If im being totally honest with you, then yes, it would put SOME off, but not all.

if they ask how long youve been doing the job, just be honest, if they reject you because youve only just started up then its not your fault....at all

let me give you a word picture.....

Theres you, only been a mobile DJ for 6 months....

Theres joe bloggs, been a mobile DJ for 15 years...

Whos the better DJ?....thats right, you dont know. the bloke whos been playing for 15 years may only be 'average' whereas you may be 'good' at what you do...

experience helps you get the gig yes, but if you're inexperienced and you put a good show on, they'll use you again!

:welcome: :toot:

Definitely be honest.

Also explain though that you have been doing family gigs for xx years and you have been helping out or roadying if you have.

I expect that you will be pricing yourself according to your experience, as you get more gigs and experience under your belt you can increase your prices.

Jim

:welcome: :toot:

Definitely be honest.

Also explain though that you have been doing family gigs for xx years and you have been helping out or roadying if you have.

I expect that you will be pricing yourself according to your experience, as you get more gigs and experience under your belt you can increase your prices.

Jim

thanks everyone for your advice....good points, cheers..................kev

yep, honesty is best policy

Edited by KrazyKaz
They don't call me Krazy for nothing! Krazy by name - Krazy by nature !!!

Age doesn't matter, unless you're a cabinet!

K K Disco

• 5 weeks later...

I'm just starting out too and I faced the same problem... people don't want to hire someone with no experience, but then how do you get experience in the first place? It's the same with every field, I guess. Definitely see if you can't do some work for family and friends (work for free if you have to-- I did) and then you can add that to your resume. Also, it's important to get your name out as much as possible. Try listing on a bunch of sites like http://www.gatheringguide.com/ec/bands_djs...ertainment.html if you can. I wouldn't bring up the fact that you're just starting out unless they do first, of course! Just sound confident and believe in yourself, and remember that the more work you get, no matter how small it is to start, the more experience you'll have!

Try listing on a bunch of sites like http://www.gatheringguide.com/ec/bands_djs...ertainment.html if you can.

Getting yourself registered on directory sites is always a good idea - the one referred to though is for the USA however there are lots of UK ones - many of which are free to list on. DJU has one too!

• 4 weeks later...

i know what you mean i had this problem before i started. I personally didnt lie i said that i had just started but then went into what i has been doing before which was radio dj and i used the same equipment so basically saying that i had xp with the equipment, yeah this did lose some customers but the majority stayed and well loved it and refered to friends and family and now i have been going for around 6 years so not many people get turned away after they have asked. Hopes this Helps

Jack Gregory