Dj's United

Need Help! New young female DJ here!

http://www.chrispointon.f2s.com/Forum/html/emoticons/533.gif Allright, I am 18 yearold female who wants to become a dj..I have had a few djs show me how to work with there stuff and a know my way around somewhat.....I love it.I am hook...But....I really need to find a way to partice and i have no idea what i need . The one good dj that showed me around told me i need to get my name out there and just do small gigs....and to call him when i do get a gig and he will come come and help me by leeting me use his stuff..and the money will me spilt...So.....is this the best way to go about this...I love musci and I really want this but i dont have lots of money....So where do i go to partice or even how...I want to make music one day.....aswell as scratching ect.help me
Guest Guest_DJGAVT

Your best bet is to roadie for someone to learn the ropes while building up your cd and gear collection. That is the way I did it! After 6 months you should have some sort of show and know enough to go out on your own.

http://www.chrispointon.f2s.com/Forum/html/emoticons/cool.gif

I agree with DJ GAVT, roadie for somebody for a while bide your time, any DJ worth his salt will let you 'have a go' when he wants to go to the bar or to the loo provided you know what you're doing. Its no fun hiring gear and trying to do the whole thing on your own, and at the end of the day it should be 'Fun' with a capital F. Ok so now its my living but 20 yrs on its still fun ........ when its not there be a whole load of gear up for sale.

Yes, nothing is better than actually learning the business from somebody who knows what they are doing. This also give you the opportunity to see what is involved before spending a lot of money on your own gear http://www.chrispointon.f2s.com/Forum/html/emoticons/smile.gif .

You may also find this thread to be of interest Here

And Also this one Here

I think we all agree that the best route is the roadie one, I think 95% of DJ's start this way, I know I did 20 years ago. You can be sure you don't mind giving up every Friday and Saturday whilst your mates are out on the town and that you really want to do it. Also the hardest part of the show for any new DJ is the talking and as it is the bit that will get you repeat bookings it has to be right, so pratice makes perfect (although nobody is perfect). Some other good tips are to record yourself onto MD and listen to it over and over again to pick up on bits and pieces of your show and improve it.

.....but what do I know ?

Your Big Event

Office:01803 813540

Direct: 0797 0717 448

e.mail:info@yourbigevent.co.uk

New Young females starting out - (Mobile) - When I started out and went to buy my first rig, I was almost laughed out of the shop by the men - they actually told me that if I looked after my equipment then they would buy it back in six months - I was referred to as girly girly roadshow and they said I would hold novelty value but mobile dj-ing was male domain! I have to be quite smug here when twelve years later, many of those same guys who laughed now phone me to ask for work to be passed on to them! Girls get out there - you will get loads of stick at first - not just by the guys either - when I started many women at gigs were very bitchy and totally convinced that I would not be able to pull it off - All I can say it dont be put off - it is so worthwhile - I have made many friends and get brilliant jobs - all by word of mouth - always be yourself - there are few rules in the business but YOUR PERSONALITY and making sure you play the right music will win your critics over -. When I think back I made so many mistakes - I actually hid under the decks when I had to announce the buffet at my first adult gig - one of the best tips I ever had for mic technique was to look at a spot at the back of the venue and speak to it in a clear normal voice - dont put on a voice - be natural - dont talk for the sake of it either - You wont have a brilliant mic technique at first - dont worry - practice makes perfect - and when you are getting a bit long in the tooth (likes yours truly!) you could even get approached by voice over and production companies - I have but I am not ready quite yet to give up gigging!

GIRLS GO FOR IT = WHAT HAVE YOU GOT TO LOSE? THIS HAS BEEN A MALE DOMAIN FOR TOO LONG - (and no - I am not a feminist!!) Good Luck!

WE LOVE KAREN, AND IT'S GREAT TO HAVE HER BACK !!!! xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Well I'd go along with those sentiments girls, I will however say that Jo Public unfortunately still see's it as a gimmick. The number of times I have tried to get my daughter to take it up I've lost count of, even telling her that she will get more bookings than I ever would, but she is just not ready to give up her nights out with the 'boys' to make a go of it. She is however damn good on the odd occasion she does bother to come out with me.

First off on behalf of the male DJ world, i'm sorry you had that experience. Being an "old fogey" I remember the days when at least 25% of mobiles were female, and it's being lacking for a number of years. And without being sexiest, someone that is "sweet" to the eye will suceed.

My advice would be, "be sweet", "look sexy" but KEEP YOUR WITS ABOUT YOU, and you can "Clean UP". The market place needs GOOD female DJ's.

..playing all the hits for you...

....whether you may be....

Why can't I see what i going on???

Oh Mikee! Being sweet and sexy wont get you many bookings if you cant do the job!! And I guarantee that I am neither sweet nor sexy!!! (well perhaps in a badly lit room!) So as much as I hate to disagree with you, Girls, dont rely on being sweet and sexy - rely on personality and ability! http://www.chrispointon.f2s.com/Forum/html/emoticons/1293.gif

WE LOVE KAREN, AND IT'S GREAT TO HAVE HER BACK !!!! xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Oops sorry, but the girls I used to know (before they got married etc) use there looks to get work, and they knew their music, which does help.

God, i just looked in the mirror - i'm Orange

Whats going on in here then????

Mikees sweet talking has back fired on this thread, he he http://www.chrispointon.f2s.com/Forum/html/emoticons/sterb188.gif

Girls get out there - you will get loads of stick at first

Once I got stick when I done a Karaoke in a club where this guy asked me was I a professional or did I do this as A hobbie? HUH!!! not impressed, so out came my sweetness side, and politely warned him, Be careful! Im the one with the microphone...not you

So I tend to disagree with this quote as I havent had much stick, but we all experience things differently & each to our own views.

With regards to being sexy & sweet, NEVER!!!! who cares as long as you do your job proprely, That all went out the window when the girlies knocked Dave the dj off,,,

Thats a point I thought all dj's were called Dave!!!!

Hey Mikeee - this kinda blows out your post from a while ago saying that there wasn't many female D.J's in the industry!.

YOU KNOW WHEN YOU'VE BEEN PAULA-ED!!! http://www.chrispointon.f2s.com/Forum/html/emoticons/1087.gif

Female and a DJ - naaa, it doesn't happen.... does it???

I have been looking for female jocks for ages and not a single reply to my ads... maybe the fact I asked specifically for big t:cense:s, nice ass and long legs!!!

Nah, only joking.... I'm looking for female jocks in the TYNE and WEAR area if any are out there!!!

Steve

http://www.chrispointon.f2s.com/Forum/html/emoticons/1092.gif

Cor Ive been summoned to this bored by Chris, & the ladys here will be backing me up on this one.

Firstly,

Hello Steve http://www.chrispointon.f2s.com/Forum/html/emoticons/042.gif ...

All I can say to this is you obviously dont go out very much otherwise you'd be seeing female dj's all over the place and as for Karaoke most of the hosts are female anyway.

But after visiting your website and taking into consideration your non reply to ad's for female dj's am I surprised not at all!!!!!

LADYS, if your saw an advert for female dj with big **** and long legs advertised by this bunch, would you work for them as I shure as hell wouldnt,

There is something else I want to say but to rudddeee!!! http://www.chrispointon.f2s.com/Forum/html/emoticons/smile.gif

will save it for another time.

Steve, when you familarise your self a bit more with this board you will find that there is such thing as a female dj, hows that song go.......

Its a mans world.........

But its nothing without a woman

Paula has spoken......Again!

I want to be Paula-ed again, I missed it first time http://www.chrispointon.f2s.com/Forum/html/emoticons/wub.gif

Hmm, okay.... I don't go out much, erm... sorry didn't realise you were my minder... In my opinion, I DON'T see very many DJ's who are female.

I can't speak for the whole country can I? - and as for the big t:cense:s thing, it was a JOKE!!! - you heard of them.

It's clear you're one of few DJ's who lack a sense of humour.

But, let's not get off to a bad start eh and chill a bit.

s

Steve

You've not been here long enough, so you aren't to know.

Firstly I don't tolerate flaming or harrassment of any kind on this forum, if anybody causes trouble they get banned, No Appeals, No 2nd Chances, No loss to us. I've seen too many other forums go down because of this, and that is not what we are about.

Paula's comments were meant to be tongue in cheek, if you have read her previous posts then you will know what a sense of humour she has, and the banter that goes on in certain areas of this forum - its not all work work work. I hope that your earlier comments were made in the same vein - certainly I would not suggest that you advertise for D.J's with "Big T*its and Arses" - if you do then I would suggest that you have joined the wrong forum, if I thought that you were being serious I would have edited your post for being sexist.

Paula is a moderator, here to help me keep the element that you are refering to away from this board.I would certainly not have given her this responsibility if I thought that she would have made a post like that, in anything but jest.

I would have thought that Spin and Mikee's posts would have alerted you to the fact that any comment made by Paula would have been in the same style as you originally posted. If you can't take a joke then don't make one in the first place then you wont leave yourself open for others to carry it on at your expense!

Maybe you should go and read your own post, then take some time out to read the other area's of this forum before jumping to conclusions.

Please also note the Emotiicons in her post - they are used on forums for a reason.

But, let's not get off to a bad start eh

Damn right - it's not good for this forum, or for potential members to see - ultimately its not good for my business which is why it won't happen here.

Steve,

Lets start again,

By taking each of your points in turn I will explain further.

It does happen, & I assume that you do have the occasional night off from dj'in to explore the other dj's world, in the form of clubbing/pubbing where you will stumble across quite a lot of female dj's I obviously know that you cant speak for the entire country, but where I am you do see quite a lot of Dj's & Kj's,

Although there is not many on this forum does not mean that they dont excist, but then again the forum has not been up that long and will eventually gain more members from both sexes.

I have been looking for female jocks for ages and not a single reply to my ads... maybe the fact I asked specifically for big t:cense:s, nice ass and long legs!!!

This I did take in jest but also considered the down side of this as in a previous thread that female Dj's should be sexy sweet etc etc, upon advertising for anybody its the persons abblities that count and not how good looking sexy etc that they are, so if you think my replied comment to you was out of turn then I put my hands up for that one!!!!

Insted of advertising for a dj is there any girls that you know that would like to dj, Im thinking I started off like this and Spin has also made a comment on his wife & daughter helping him to, most things like this usually start with a friend or family member getting you in to this line of work.

I really do hope that you find the time to read all the other forum messages not only are they intresting and beneficial to your dj'in needs but you will also find that they are humurous to.

By reading these other messages I hope you realise that I do have a sense of humour afterall.

http://www.chrispointon.f2s.com/Forum/html/emoticons/042.gif

Don't waste your breath Paula this "problem" has been dealt with. He kind of made his own decisions in his final posts (Now deleted). I just hope that he treats his clients with more respect.

Spin, trust me you don't want to know