Dj's United

OTronics has its first lesbian wedding coming up in September (I must make sure I take the camera!) and was just wondering one thing..

When I announce the first dance, what do I say. "Can we please have the Bride and err....Bride on the dance floor please...".

?

Also, just out of interest..anyone else done a same sex wedding? Anything to know...not worried or anything at all...just treating this as a 'normal' event but thought I would ask.

In fact, they have given me something like 3 pages of songs/Artists to play. :!:

Oliver Head, OTronics Media Services Ltd, Covering Wiltshire, Somerset, Dorset and surrounding areas.

Professional Mobile & Radio DJ

PLI (£10m), PAT and DBS (Disclosure) checked

Tel: 07835 485535

Email: enquiries@otronics.co.uk

www.otronics.co.uk

I'd avoid saying the bride at all unless they have described themselves that way and say the happy couple or something. Problem is that in many gay relationships particularly with lesbians one of them may be transgendered too. So to call that person a bride would be deeply hurtful. I'm not saying they are, and they may be happy with that label but they may well not be. Within the lesbian culture there are may definitions such as butch and femme etc. So you have to be extremely careful and very sensitive.

It would be worth sounding the couple out first because what may seem nothing to you could be a big issue to them.

Edited by llcooljoe

I am whatever you say I am

I have been to Civil Ceremonies, evening receptions and would be careful how you approach the situation as each one is different. All the one's that we have been to say the happy couple and as they are approaching the dance floor congratulations is being played and then there first dance. Just my point of view I would not point cameras at them unless they approve :joe: or be very discreet as this could be a row brewing.

Also we noticed that a lot of requests that were asked for the dj never had - remember there will be lots of gay people and all mixes and these tunes go along way on the gay scene parties

D.I.S.C.O

Hazel Dean

YMCA

Paris to Berlin

Abba

I will survive

etc etc

This is the area I am trying to conquer.

Hope it's a great night.

Firstly.....its NOT and never will be a Wedding........its a civil partnership.

"just treating this as a 'normal' event but thought I would ask."

Yep thats how I would play it, certainly wouldnt want to be walking on eggshells all night in case they got offended at somthing that was said or a song that was played......just treat it as a normal event....

How about:

"Ladies and Gentlemen, we now come to that all important part of the evening, where I would like to ask the happy couple Tracey and George (Georgina!!!) onto the dancefloor so they can enjoy thier first dance together as wife and wife...."

aww bugger thats not gonna work is it......dunno mate......good luck with it, glad its not me :rolleyes:

Edited by NRG Roadshow

"Ladies and Gentlemen, we now come to that all important part of the evening, where I would like to ask the happy couple Tracey and George (Georgina!!!) onto the dancefloor so they can enjoy thier first dance together as wife and wife...."

I've done a few Civil Partnerships, both for gay and lesbian, and usually they are fantastic parties - They have far less inhibitions than their heterosexual counterparts.

As to first dances, do similar to NRG Roadshows suggestion, but when end it like ".. their first dance together on their special day" or summink similar - infact you could stop talking at together.

If you want to ensure you don't offend anyone, at your pre-function meeting, ask them (tactfully), ie - "For the first dance, I was going to say "Ladies and gentleman, we now come to...." and see if they are happy. They will soon tell ya....

And above all else, don't worry - CPs are great fun, the celebratees and guests tend to be far more pleasant than at most functions and will generally enjoy themselves no matter what....

I've done a couple, and they've been excellent!

With regard to the first dance, I just asked everyone to welcome 'name' and 'name' onto the dancefloor for their first dance.

That seemed to work fine.

Just enjoy the event.

The last one I did was referred to as a 'Celebration'. The partners (male) choose to dance with their 2 witnesses (female) for the 1st dance.

I can recall exactly what I said but it was alongs the lines of 'Good Evening ladies & gentlemen, welcome to your evenings entertainment at the Las Vegas Hilton. It's now time for the 1st dance of the evening so please have your cameras and camcorders ready as I invite George & Mildred and Jack & Diane onto the dancefloor'.

Come to think of it even at a wedding I don't refer to them as Bride & Groom preferring to use their real names.

I done one last night, groom and groom, no but it was ok, I enjoyed it.

Stephen Owens Entertainments

Office: 01704 897078

Mobile: 0782 8270 854

Web: www.stephen-owens.co.uk

Email: Monkey-business-disco@hotmail.co.uk

Will let you know

Lesbian wedding next staurday

I have heard it no different has most gay couples have straight friends aswell

As to the bride and err - I usually announce bride and groom has "the happy couple"

There first song is "From this moment on"

• 2 weeks later...

done one the other week for my step daughters friends, it was a great gig, and i just siad ladies and gentlemen please welcome the newly weds rachel and nikki to the dance floor for there first dance and they have asked if any one would like to join them please feel free, but it was a trance tune so no one got up with them....lol

As you may know search engines (particularly Google) rank sites higher if they have other sites linking to them.

ladies and gentlemen please welcome the newly weds rachel and nikki to the dance floor

Why would you say that......they are not married? so how can they be newly weds?

Trouble with society today is its too accepting of these kinds of things......

If you dont like my views, tough........Im not gonna change and go with the sheep and accept it......I have my views and Im sticking with them. Civil Partnership ok fine, I can just about stomach that but dont want to be involved in one.......wedding no way......only a man and a woman will ever be able to get married.

Im not a religious happy clapper, but the bible did get at least some things right.

Love is love.

Ummm Tainted love maybe........

Why would you say that......they are not married? so how can they be newly weds?

Trouble with society today is its too accepting of these kinds of things......

If you dont like my views, tough........Im not gonna change and go with the sheep and accept it......I have my views and Im sticking with them. Civil Partnership ok fine, I can just about stomach that but dont want to be involved in one.......wedding no way......only a man and a woman will ever be able to get married.

Im not a religious happy clapper, but the bible did get at least some things right.

Ummm Tainted love maybe........

Well NRG I strongly dissagree with your POV and would imagine that this post will be removed at some point.

What is wrong with two people of the same sex loving and caring for each other in this world, and I am no sheep.. Do no harm to others and expect no harm back... We seem to live in a world of people who think its ok to have views on how others lead there lives... We seem to find it ok for one man to kill another man in the name of war but wrong for one man to kissanother man in the name of love and peace.

Your ideas are old fashoned and alittle biggoted in MHO... And can not believe you have posted this here. As some one who is a MOD on another DJ forum you should really know better...

As for the Bible bashing please find another site to talk about religion..

Nik

I performed @ a civil Partnership this Saturday,this gig was Passed on and I didn't know til I got there.The event was v informal and went down a storm.The 2 recipricants were well pleased.

I look at it this way,They were nice people,there was no trouble and I got paid

no hassle.

JOB DONE.

I'm not paid to have a political opinion in their joining,I'm there to do a job wich was executed without malace.

This is the 2nd civil partnership I,ve performed at.

Paul

Well NRG I strongly dissagree with your POV and would imagine that this post will be removed at some point.

What is wrong with two people of the same sex loving and caring for each other in this world, and I am no sheep.. Do no harm to others and expect no harm back... We seem to live in a world of people who think its ok to have views on how others lead there lives... We seem to find it ok for one man to kill another man in the name of war but wrong for one man to kiss another man in the name of love and peace.

Your ideas are old fashoned and alittle biggoted in MHO... And can not believe you have posted this here. As some one who is a MOD on another DJ forum you should really know better...

As for the Bible bashing please find another site to talk about religion..

Nik

Nik I hope your post isn't removed because I couldn't agree with what you've said more. It's great that you had the guts to write it too. I still stand but what I said and love is love.

I am whatever you say I am

Leaving aside all the conflicting opinions, this is correct factually.

When two people of the same sex enter a civil partnership why would they want to call it a wedding?

A great deal of effort and lobbying has gone into establishing gay rights and the civil partnership is one of them. To call it a wedding would be to diminish both its importance, significance and special status.

Nik I hope your post isn't removed because I couldn't agree with what you've said more. It's great that you had the guts to write it too. I still stand but what I said and love is love.

This is a fantastic topic and one we can all learn from. No posts will be removed as yet but PLEASE all, keep to the topic and lets have a sensible thread without getting personal..

:Thumbup:

Steve

5 European cups and 18 leagues, that`s what we call history.

I for one disagree with Nick, love is love.

My daughter is gay and I wish she does get *married* at some point.

Marriage, Civil Partnership whatever, it all means the same thing, being devoted to one another for the rest of your life.

Was my current wedding not a wedding because it was at Gretna Green rather than a church?

Jim

I think Nik was saying that MY post was probably going to be deleted......

Afterall the freedom of speech is not allowed these days is it......

Although my earlier comment was NOT dirrected at a specific individual theirfore has not broken any rules.

I have my views.....and I will stand up and defend my views.

My view is also not going to change.

Their are a lot of people with my view of this subject too, its just a shame more people are not willing to stand up and say "I dont agree with it, I dont like it, and I wont accept it".

I think Nik was saying that MY post was probably going to be deleted......

Afterall the freedom of speech is not allowed these days is it......

Although my earlier comment was NOT dirrected at a specific individual theirfore has not broken any rules.

I have my views.....and I will stand up and defend my views.

My view is also not going to change.

Their are a lot of people with my view of this subject too, its just a shame more people are not willing to stand up and say "I dont agree with it, I dont like it, and I wont accept it".

In that case you open up the flood gates for Rasism ageism and in your case sexism.... As long, as you say, "its not personal". But what is personal? An individual a group or a nation. If I say I hate Paul who is Gay (just a name at random) is that personal or not?

if I say I hate lesbians. Is that personal or not??

If I say I hate Forigners is that personal or not??

Again Nick I say your thoughts on this are small minded and a little biggoted. I agree with many of your posts and find some of your ideas interesting and entertaining, but this is so wrong.... And If I were on the Mod team would be asking for your views on this to be monitored and maybe your warn level raised.

As to your last point maybe there are not more people and you are indeed a minority with these "love thy Neighbour and Alf Garnet" ideals... Live and let love for gods sake.

As Dan has said in the past, would you be willing to put your views on your disco web site about how you dissagre with civil partnerships. I think you would loose quite a bit of work if you did..

Nik

Not guts Joe just from the heart...

Nik

Its not personal at all.....just my view which Iam entitled too, just the same as your view is that Iam wrong, you are entitled to that view.

This is (or was the last time I checked) a free country, and we do have the freedom of speech.

Its my view, and although many may not agree with me I still have the right to have that view.....just the same as I dont agree with your view on the subject Im not gonna tell you that you are wrong, just that I dont agree with you.