Dj's United

hi, folks just recently blown a driver in a yamaha msr800 powered bass bin, i was all set to phone up and order a replacement till my local shop told me it would cost £230 to get driver from yamaha and also an extra £25 for carriage, so it makes it £255 for the driver bit expensive, ive had a look for other drivers but not sure what to get, needs to be a 15inch

hi, folks just recently blown a driver in a yamaha msr800 powered bass bin, i was all set to phone up and order a replacement till my local shop told me it would cost £230 to get driver from yamaha and also an extra £25 for carriage, so it makes it £255 for the driver bit expensive, ive had a look for other drivers but not sure what to get, needs to be a 15inch

Looking these up via the net, were the clip indicators working? Would be a shame to replace only to 'blow again'.

note the spec of the yamaha driver and source an eminence replacement with similar spec. Ive often used the Eminence Delta-15A (the delat15a may not be the same spec at your yamaha - so check up)

whichever eminence you get, it'll be a lot cheaper than almost £250 and it'll sound just as good if not better!

I agree with Dukesy. If the cab has built-in clip limiters, yet you've managed to blow a driver, the built-in amp may have gone to DC due to component failure. Powered cabs very rarely have DC protection relays unlike rack amps. If this is the case, replacing the driver will probably last you a good 5 seconds or so!

Before replacing the driver, power up the cab and measure for DC volts at the speaker wires..you should have millivolts, not volts. If this looks ok, then go ahead and connect the new driver.

Were you overdriving the cabs that night or had any kind of accident like a dropped mic or feedback? Was there a bang or nasty buzz/click before the driver blew?

Yamaha will supply spares direct, may be worth ringing them. Many of Yamaha's PA equipment is made by Phonic, just for the record.