Dj's United

Help ! German Plug - Uk Socket !

Guys,

I've just received some led parcans from Thomman. Like a schmuk I didn't think about plugging them in :rolleyes:

How do you get around the plug issue ?

Thanks

Stace

You can get a special adapter, not just a shaver socket, it needs the earth connector on it (that is if its a class 1 light with earth) CPC sell them as do Maplin.

Jim

Cool Thanks !!

Can you actually cut the cable and connect iec plugs (or whatever they are called)?

According to this, any manufacturers importing electrical equipment into the UK has to comply with the same legislation as those operating from inside of the UK.

http://www.berr.gov.uk/files/file38628.pdf

namely:-

Supply of Electrical Equipment: Specified domestic electrical equipment intended

to be connected to the mains power supply via plug and socket outlet is required to

be supplied fitted with a standard plug or conversion plug, see Regulation 12

Suppliers Outside the UK: For distance selling, where goods are supplied from

outside the UK, a legal obligation is placed on the supplier outside of the UK to

comply with the Regulations. For enforcement with regard to distance selling where

the supplier is situated outside of the UK, the local Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) or

the Office of Fair Trading can provide assistance in certain cases

Email them with a copy and tell 'em to get it sorted or to supply you with a convertor free of charge.

Edited by McCardle

"The voice of the devil is heard in our land"

'War doesn't determine who is right, war determines who is left, and you wont win this war.'

Supply of Electrical Equipment: Specified domestic electrical equipment intended

to be connected to the mains power supply via plug and socket outlet is required to

be supplied fitted with a standard plug or conversion plug, see Regulation 12

That only applies to domestic goods. If the goods are used commercially then you are expected to know how to change a plug.

You can fit IEC plugs but it may invalidate the warranty.

domestic goods are usually considered anything which is used within a household or portable. i.e are not intended to require a fixed supply or a direct connection to a fused spur outlet. In the past i've previously bought equipment from Electrovision with such moulded connections and they've always provided a convertor.

That only applies to domestic goods. If the goods are used commercially then you are expected to know how to change a plug.

So why the talk about removing and changing the plug affecting warranties?. They can't have it both ways surely?.

Edited by McCardle

"The voice of the devil is heard in our land"

'War doesn't determine who is right, war determines who is left, and you wont win this war.'

domestic goods are usually considered anything which is used within a household or portable. i.e are not intended to require a fixed supply or a direct connection to a fused spur outlet. In the past i've previously bought equipment from Electrovision with such moulded connections and they've always provided a convertor.

So why the talk about removing and changing the plug affecting warranties?. They can't have it both ways surely?.

They can and they do. Thomann will NOT honour any warranty with the plugs cut off. There are many types of EURO - UK mains adapters available, but only 3 satisfy the PAT regulations they are these:

This one for EURO Transformers

This one for 2 pin EURO plugs another type for the 2 pin plug

And This one for Schuko Euro plugs with an earth (never use a shaver socket with this type of plug)

All of these adapters are captive and will be acceptable for PAT, if they are not captive they are not acceptable. There are many styles and colours. For a couple of quid, why take the risk.

Eddie

<a href="http://www.vibrant-sounds.co.uk" title="Vibrant Sounds Mobile Disco & Karaoke DJ Ed Bray Eddie Bray eddiebray plymouth devon weddings birthdays parties mobilediscoplymouth" "mobile disco plymouth">www.vibrant-sounds.co.uk</a>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>PAFC Pride of DEVON</span> C'mon U Greens

Thanks Gents,

I'll pop down to Maplin and grab a couple. Not cost effective to use CPC just for an order of these.

Stace

Thomann will NOT honour any warranty with the plugs cut off.

As I've always advised people to cut off the schuko plugs from Thomann and fit standard 13A plugs, I thought I'd clarify the situation and have just received correspondence from Thomann:

'Replacement of a mains plug with another type does not affect our 3-year warranty on any goods supplied by Thomann'

From Britta Klett, Customer Service, Musikhaus Thomann.

So there you are! Get snipping.

I suspect the confusion arises from the no-quibble money back guarantee which is offered to any customer who is not satisfied with an otherwise perfectly working item who has simply changed their mind and wants a refund..in which case the goods will only be accepted back if they are fit for resale in original unmodified condition. This is not the same thing as a 3-year warranty!!

As I've always advised people to cut off the schuko plugs from Thomann and fit standard 13A plugs, I thought I'd clarify the situation and have just received correspondence from Thomann:

'Replacement of a mains plug with another type does not affect our 3-year warranty on any goods supplied by Thomann'

From Britta Klett, Customer Service, Musikhaus Thomann.

So there you are! Get snipping.

I suspect the confusion arises from the no-quibble money back guarantee which is offered to any customer who is not satisfied with an otherwise perfectly working item who has simply changed their mind and wants a refund..in which case the goods will only be accepted back if they are fit for resale in original unmodified condition. This is not the same thing as a 3-year warranty!!

What they dont tell you is that should you replace the schuko with a 13A UK spec mains plug and plug it in you are in breach of electrical safety if you havnt had the alteration tested to certain regulations.

lets say, worst case scenareo, youve plugged the gear in that youve altered the plug on, and it causes a fault leading to an electrical fire. suddenly you need to claim on your insurance - but wait, you policy is now invalid because you havn't follow correct electrical safety procedure.

its serious red tape! but it could end up costing you a lot of money for what? an 80p plug?!?!!

A claim arising from changing a plug will not invalidate your public liability insurance.

The purpose of liability insurance is to cover you for negligent acts for which you are legally liable in law.

If it could be proven that the loss occurred through your negligence, then the claim would be dealt with.

In my former working life, I worked for major insurers for 25 years underwriting liability insurance.

Edited by TonyB

A claim arising from changing a plug will not invalidate your public liability insurance.

The purpose of liability insurance is to cover you for negligent acts for which you are legally liable in law.

If it could be proven that the loss occurred through your negligence, then the claim would be dealt with.

In my former working life, I worked for major insurers for 25 years underwriting liability insurance.

whilst i dont doubt your professional knowledge, what i gave as an example above i have actually known of happening- not to me thankfully and an insurance comany went down this avenue and gave such a reason.

i dont know if the person followed the quote up or what the outcome was. but the company certainly attempted to knock the claim back on such grounds.

Liability insurance is a very complex subject and is very much intertwined with legal precedence.

Due to its complexity, the intentions of cover can be misinterpreted. I had to serve a 3 year apprenticeship with an experienced senior underwriter before I was allowed to do anything on my own. These days often employees straight from school are sat in front of a PC and told to get on with it with very little training.

Like most industries, the attitude changed over the years from "how can we help and provide the best service" to "how can we cut costs and maximise profits"

If you can find an old school experienced broker, then they would be able to help sort out ambiguity problems such as you mention.

A lot of the claims that I saw arose because of a breach of some regulation, mainly health and safety, but it never invalidated the claim.

What complicates matters further is that what some of the wordings appear to say and what they actually mean can be totally different. There are also rules that apply but aren't written in the policy. In both cases, what applies has usually been set by precedent following a previous court case. The interpretations are continually challenged in court and if a company feels that their claim has been thrown out due to an unfair precedent, then they will challenge it and possibly set a new precedent if they win. I still get emails from a solicitors mailing list giving updates of cases that have been settled and interpretation has been challenged.

Provided a claim was not caused by a deliberate act, by an illegal activity or by something that is specifically excluded by the policy, then it should be covered. But in some cases you may need a solicitor or legal adviser to ensure that the claim is dealt with correctly.

(sorry for the off topic waffle!)

it could end up costing you a lot of money for what? an 80p plug?!?!!

On the contrary, surely. The 13A BS1363 mains plug of the UK is the one approved by the British Standards Institute for connection of appliances here and is therefore the correct one to use.

• 4 years later...

If your cables are IEC leads with wrong mains plug just go to WWW.Kenable.co.uk and buy new leads.

All lengths available.

I use then all the time.